Calipari said he knew losses were coming if team didn’t change

KSR-0564

In his postgame press conference from the belly of Florida’s O’Connell Center, John Calipari told reporters that he knew Kentucky was in trouble once it dropped that game at Tennessee.

“I knew after Tennessee we had an issue,” Calipari said. “I said to them, ‘You’re going to lost the next two or three if you don’t change. You’re not passing the ball, you’re turning it over.’ We’re making hard plays, we’re making cheap plays. We’re not — we just kind of got away. We’ve got to get it back. At the end of the day, we know how they can play because we’ve all seen it. Now we see them at their worst. Now, it’s a choice, do you want to be at your worst or be at your best?”

For Cal’s entire postgame press conference, check out the video here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Calipari said he knew losses were coming if team didn’t change

1. jackuss1
    11:29 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

The issue is that we have been figured out by everyone and no adjustments. Cal may need to just sit down, shut up, and let the team direct their own destiny…as ugly as it might be…but maybe not

• TBW3011
      8:55 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

This is the major issue IMO. We may have regressed some, but it has more to do with opponents knowing what to do to beat us now. They’ve made adjustments. Unfortunately for us Cal has to coach his way out of this as opposed to recruit his way out.

2. Ichabod24
    11:31 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Did he once say “I’ve done a bad coaching job”?? Hell no!! Gutless!

• syrin
      12:35 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

My thoughts exactly. If they aren’t doing what they are supposed to, whose fault is that? If players keep sucking, why do they get playing time? Why didn’t Mulder get 25 minutes?

3. ukeasy
    11:33 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Words that I hate typing!!! Rick Pitino exploited our team and we haven’t played well since. Calipari is t surprised…..are you kidding me. Wake up!!!! Coach, you have soft guys! Even Bam is soft!!

4. Jiminy Crickets
    11:34 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Fans knew losses were coming too when we watched this team play defense.I have never seen a team on any level give up this many lay-ups, dunks and straight line drives to the basket. This team can not rebound, cant play defense, and plays with no heart….its over. These guys dont care, so why should we?

5. cayutsby91
    11:34 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

#bringbackbillyg

6. Ridge Runner
    11:39 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Cal is the man and I truly love him. However, as I mentioned earlier… podcasts, trips out of town, etc is images we see as well as Our lack of performance. Whether real or not, it would leave an impression his focus is not where it should be. Just being honest

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:41 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

how about his young team on the road at ranked opponent with GameDay in town and he drives 4 hours to see Kevin Knox play??

• Ridge Runner
      11:45 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

I realize recruiting is part of coaching and will never put that under lack of focus as it has to be managed. But if we are all honest… the past few weeks this team has went down hill in a manner that you would think needs more attention than before.

7. AGSlater
    11:45 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Cal has more excuses than anyone. Face up that you need to coach better and stop with the young freshman 18,19 year old crap.

8. AGSlater
    11:48 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Bam needs to come back, but he wont bc Cal will force him out like Dakari, teague

9. ScoggDog
    11:50 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

I told them so.

That’s the gist of his message.

10. jackuss1
    11:51 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

We are team Briscoe–if he sucks we suck–and he has had a tough run lately.

11. EdC
    11:53 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Yea … here’s the thing. If you are actively recruiting players that you know and hope are only going to be there for a year then you don’t get to use young as a legitimate excuse. It is an indicator of knowing that it doesn’t work but you keep doing it anyway. Get back to championships being more important than players in the NBA or go away. Every single one of those guys was already an NBA candidate and that is why you recruited them. There is no magic in it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Hate to say it, but I think you nailed it.

• syrin
      12:39 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Cal wins the NBA draft every year, and he is more than content to hang those banners over championships. Some day someone will look back at all the UK talent in the NBA and wonder why Cal won so few championships. How many top ten draft picks do you need to win more than one title?

• EdC
      7:27 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Syrin and therefore why so many critics say he just rolls the ball out. I personally don’t think he does that. I remember his under-manned UMass teams giving probably the best UK team in my lifetime the ’96 team everything they could handle. The man can coach but his obsession with riding coattails of teenagers who make it to the NBA isn’t doing UK any real favors if you are in the camp that championships are what matters more than NBA internships.

• TBW3011
      9:02 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree he can coach, but he’s gotten lazy when it comes to actual strategy and coaching. Don’t get me wrong, he’s constantly working in some way, but his coaching has totally changed from his days at UMASS. He thinks he can just throw his guys out there and overwhelm you with talent. Most of the time is correct. Unfortunately it will bite us in the butt in the tourney over and over. We’ve won our last title under Cal. The guy is just to much to overcome when it matters the most.

• Cat68
      9:19 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Well said! Amen!

12. KYJelly
    12:03 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

You all are criticizing the most successful coach in college basketball over the past 7-8 years. Who would you rather have? This team is super talented, but defense is something that takes effort and considering Cals teams are usually one of the best defensive teams in the country, I’m going to say he’s probably not the problem here.

• syrin
      12:41 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Based on what? NBA draft picks? We have ONE title, just like Villanova, Duke, Louisville, etc. We lost to MUCH lesser talented teams the past two years. FOr the number of NBA players we have on our roster every year, I would say we under achieve greatly.

13. KYJelly
    12:04 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Hi

14. KYPIP
    12:22 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

We are probably witnessing Cal’s worst coaching season ever. Around the eight minute mark in the second half, Cal quit; he gave up. What if a player did that? He’s lost the eye of the tiger. His focus isn’t locked in and we are consistently getting out-coached. He’s still great at so many of other things and I appreciate what he’s done for us. I hope he quits putting all the blame on the kids. I hope he rolls up his sleeves and starts coaching like he’s able to.

15. jaxblue
    12:23 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I love Cal and don’t want any other coach in the country. But he is human, and the job he has done….so far, this year…has stunk. He will figure it out though. He has to wake up to Bam being a liability soon though. Watching Bam not rebound or defend and then still playing is maddening. At least Isaac and Tai are putting in the effort when they are on the floor. What’s more is that then Coach talks about Bam needing the ball more. Aaaah! I am not pollyanna, Tai and Isaac aren’t takin us to the final four, but neither is Bam. Let’s run a serviceable platoon of bigs and focus on taking advantage of the best backcourt in the country. That is our strength.

• syrin
      12:41 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Our big white guy from Australia is a MUCH better rebounder and shooter. He deserves more playing time than Bam.

• UK Maine-iac
      1:12 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I must be watching the games through different glasses. Most of the time Isaac doesn’t look like he should be playing D1 ball. To say he deserves more playing time than Bam…..I’m glad you’re not a coach, Syrin.

• cats42301
      1:44 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Syrin is that what it says on the back of his jersey? “Our big white guy from Australia”

• syrin
      2:06 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I know, but can’t think of his name off the top of my head.

16. flattop
    2:24 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Probably a top 5 dumbest things Cal has said. If you know these problems are likely to lead to a loss then F.cking do something about it. It’s not like he’s getting paid $22,000 a day to coach or anything.

While dumb as hell, this statement pales in comparison to when he bragged on national TV before the Wisconsin game that “we haven’t watched ANY film on them.”

17. EdC
    7:39 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Think Calipari’s ego is EVER going to let him say something akin to knowing recruiting almost an entire team every single year makes it crazy difficult to win championships? Or maybe he’ll say … I admit that I’m really just hyping my ability to put kids in the NBA who were going to be there anyway and that’s why I recruited them.

Cal’s bragging about how many players he put into the NBA is like putting a mouse in a cage with a snake and acting like you coached the snake to eat the mouse.

18. Ken Grizzle
    8:22 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Note to Cal: This type of play falls under the heading of COACHING. You have valuable tools that can help you reach an understanding- playing time/the bench. USE IT!!

19. TBW3011
    8:52 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

5 million a year folks. He knew a after Tennessee. Meanwhile, the rest of America knew weeks earlier.

• jwacats1
      10:32 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

You hit the nail right on the head. A lot of fans knew this wasn’t a final four type of team well before the Tennessee lose. The other fans think with their heart and not their heads which blinded them in seeing the truth. We are a second round exit team this year.

20. rainman
    10:50 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

You Think? Have we held a decent team
    below 80 all year?
    This team sucks defensively, no other way
    of looking at it!
    I guess as long as 3 or 4 of them get drafted
    in the first round, EVERYTHING will be OK!