Calipari ready to adjust attitudes in wake of loss to Missouri

After Kentucky’s loss to Missouri, John Calipari spent the rest of the weekend watching tape and trying to figure out ways to help this squad. Judging by his comments today, he had a bit of a revelation. Maybe even an epiphany.

Yesterday was kind of refreshing and exciting for me because I said, ‘Alright, stop. This is what I’m seeing.’ What we emphasize and the way they were trying to do kind of makes you look different.”

Is this, dare we say, another tweak?

“An adjustment,” Calipari clarified. “I’m not ready to say tweak yet, but it’s an adjustment.”

An adjustment of attitudes, it seems.

“The biggest thing is, you cannot, as a coach, enable them to create excuses for their performance,” Calipari said, adding later, “You know most of it, truthfully, with these guys? To get them to think the right way is a struggle because the first thing, if you’re not playing well, ‘I am not taking responsibility. That is not because of me, it’s because of you, it’s because of him, it’s because of them. It’s because of something, it’s the weather, it was the food. It was not me. It wasn’t, I don’t care what you saw, it wasn’t me.’ That’s hard for young guys to come in and say, ‘I’ve gotta own this.'”

Calipari reminded reporters that last year’s team struggled as well during this part of the season, losing three out of four in late January and early February before making the turn towards March.

“We went through this last year. Last year at this time, we lost to Tennessee by 20 down there, lose to Kansas at home. Georgia should have beaten us, we win by one. Should have lost that game, no question. Go to Florida and we get beat by 25, 20, whatever it was. And we then, it gives you a chance to evaluate, what are we doing and what can we do a little different and what do they have to do and what are they learning?”

Is this group capable of a similar turnaround?

“It wasn’t in one day last year. We did some things and made us play a little different, made them think about things and it took the next two weeks for us to take off. I’m not saying this happens overnight, but I like where we are.”

[mobile_ad]

25 Comments for Calipari ready to adjust attitudes in wake of loss to Missouri

1. upandunder
    3:24 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

The first thing I want to see is the team take the floor with some enthusiasm during pre-game. Brad Calipari leads them out and they are all walking behind him. Take the floor with some conviction boys!
    Second, Cal needs 8-10 set plays (not normal offense) that he can go to when the team needs a bucket to stem the tide of an opponents run. A flex cut, turnover, or wheel like motion with screens and cuts to get an easy layup. Hell watch tape of Izzo if you want to steal a couple. He is great out of timeouts and in-game with set plays. Finally, can we at least attempt to score on our out of bounds underneath? Please? The lob out to the wing is so generic for a college team. Try to rub a guy off underneath or how about a lob…..lord knows I’ve watched plenty of teams do it to us the past few years.

• 4everUKblue
      3:30 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like maybe you should apply for his position.

• FACTS
      8:01 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

It sounds like he wants the best for the team and your to stubborn to realize it

• upandunder
      4:06 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

4ever at least we’d attempt to score on out of bounds plays if I coached. And my team would hustle on the floor for pre-game. And yes we’d also have more than 3-4 offensive sets. We have the triple handoff out front, the one where Kevin swings to the post, elbow where both bigs are at the top of the foul line for Shai to pass to them just so they can pass it back. And that’s about it. Two guys at most moving and three guys watching. Kind of like the road department.

• KYJelly
      4:32 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

“This is how I would be better than a guy currently considered one of the best” is always a pig-headed argument to try to make.

• BBNDan7
      5:01 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Ah the “i know more than the hall of fame coach” fan coach. My favorite

• kenny
      7:06 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

If I was the coach I would never try to run a guy off

• FACTS
      8:02 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

I agree

• coachc90
      1:29 am February 6, 2018 Permalink

I coached for 20 years (different sport) and have been part of teams that won championships…I think our teams were about 0-200 in the pre-game battle. Taking the court? Less than meaningless. I’ve seen teams warm up great and get that ass spanked & I’ve seen teams that looked like they were ready for a pre-game nap destroy opponents. I think I’ll keep trusting Cal.

2. bosch8184
    3:31 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

So we’re benching Hami then? Finally.

3. Willis talkin bout....
    3:34 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

I know one adjustment I’d love to see… Change those god awful, fugly @ss uniforms. No that won’t help much on the performance, but it can’t hurt it either. Maybe give them a feeling of something fresh and new, and give the fans eyes a rest. Maybe it is just trivial. But those checkerboards are garbage…

• BBNDan7
      5:01 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

We always get a Nike uni in the mid season for something special and of course we don’t once we get stuck with the checker brigade lol

4. big cat
    3:43 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

I love the uniform idea…maybe go to the old school throwbacks…and maybe take the name off the back of their jerseys?

5. Ben27
    3:47 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

It time to Kick Butt like Pitno did! 6am Practices and run the steps until they comply. If they don’t comply, they do not play. Do you not think that Brad and the rest of the walkons could not score at least 18 points in the first half? I know that is not in Cal’s nature, so i will not hold my breath.

• timbo
      4:26 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Wow. You’ve got a heck of a recruiting pitch! I see NBA talent beating down the door of Benji U! “Can’t wait to get out of Mom & Dad’s House so I can play for an authoritarian and disciplinarian at 18 years old!” I can’t believe no one else in college basketball does this! Bring back the adulterous, cheating, lying, skeletor-Ricky P! He was sooo smart! ?

• Luether
      10:32 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yes, I believe that “Brad and the rest of the walkons could NOT score at least 18 points in the first half”…

6. secrick
    3:56 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

You guys have given coach Cal some good people to emulate . Pitino AND Izzo Don’t think so.

• upandunder
      4:07 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Like or not secrick Pitino brings it home with the 2015 team.

• timbo
      4:29 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Hahaha. Yeah. He recruited so many “2015 teams” What a dumb statement.

• johnson0918
      4:35 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yet he couldn’t bring it home with the 97 team?

7. unbridled
    7:06 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Coach cal is not the issue here and to think otherwise is ignorant. The guy needs no explanation because he’s the best or second best coach in the game right now. I’m sure he’s calculating what needs to be done as he always has. He will take this team to however far they can go and then some….because that’s what he has always done.

• JTHinton
      7:17 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Not always

• kjd
      7:53 am February 6, 2018 Permalink

Cal’s not off the hook completely in this. He put this team together. Ultimately, if it doesn’t work in the end, the buck stops with Cal.
      My two cents…..yeah, you think I’m ignorant.

8. mj7juice
    8:32 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Get new uniforms for crying out loud. The players HATE them. We look like clowns with those uniforms. Thanks Mitch. Great insight from your “Secretariat” people, you jackoff.

9. BluKudzu
    4:09 am February 6, 2018 Permalink

This team has some problems, no doubt. Cal’s live by the sword die by the sword philosophy got him in this position. He is a great coach, because of innovation.
    We will see how good he really is in the next couple of years, since the rest of college basketball has caught on to his game.
    I am betting on him, and these uniforms, (as hideous as they may be) to be relevant when the tournament begins (the real season). He is getting his team ready to make a run, and when they go deep, it will prove how wrong you are about uniforms.