Calipari: Quade Green improving after bad game vs. Duke

Few players struggled more than Quade Green in the season-opening loss to Duke, which was why it was so encouraging to see him bounce back vs. Southern Illinois. The sophomore guard provided a much-needed spark for the Cats in the second half, finishing with 14 points and team-high three assists in 26 minutes.

“He’s played well,” John Calipari said of Quade today. “I’ll tell you, in practice, he’s been unbelievable. Really has been good.”

Calipari said Quade’s problem vs. Duke was one many Cats had: trying to do too much in the spotlight.

I think he came in knowing he was on TV and went crazy, to be honest with you. Just shot every ball. He could have swung it and he looked at that dude and shot it with a guy on him. But let me say this: he wasn’t the only one. We had a bunch of guys that were like — and their team said, you can’t guard me and I’m coming right at you, and they were right. So, we drifted a little bit.”

Prediction: after coming off the bench the last two games, Quade starts tomorrow night alongside Immanuel Quickley.

[mobile_ad]

7 Comments for Calipari: Quade Green improving after bad game vs. Duke

1. michaelb
    4:22 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

He better! I like quick, green, keldon, Travis , ej or nick

• blackmilk23
      4:32 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Can’t start Nick over PJ yet. Nick looks amazing against lesser talent an absolutely pedestrian against guys near his own level. PJ has had two bad games but we saw what he can do last year even against talent.

2. henderblue
    4:27 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

As he should

3. Catcasey1
    4:27 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Pj not Ej. Yet

4. RAGE
    5:16 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

I honestly as a fan am very much trying to stay positive…. But I am a little frustrated and thought this team would be further along earlier than what they are…. But maybe I just expected too much…I know we are a young team and we are going to have growing pains like every year… But as a fan I am so tired to hearing how young we are and waiting until SEC conference tourney time to see good basketball…
    Plus to not beat a dead horse but man Duke is a young team also and they smacked us in the mouth….

I don’t want to sound negative and pessimistic… I def trust Cal and his process.. Plus I know Cal always has his teams peaking when it matters most… But man I really like to see Kentucky play a good game and get it together…. Is it too much to ask to have another team like we had in 2014-2015!!!! Lol but maybe I am just a spoiled UK fan

• RAGE
      5:24 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

Clearing up my Duke statement about being young… I know we have missed on some of the Top 5 talent coming out of high school… But we still have 9 MacDonalds All Americans… our offense just looks so stagnant at times I catch myself wanting to yell at the television… I mean we seem to have one player dribbling the ball and four people just standing around watching him… I don’t know I just feel like we need to change something up from year to year…I feel like we should play faster and use our athletes… I felt like against Southern Illinois we played really slow at times and didn’t use our advantage we had in athletes… Our team doesn’t seem to ever get an open look or fast break.. But hey I do trust Cal and I have no doubts he will make this team click… I am just voicing frustrations… Again just frustrated it has been a bad couple of weeks to be a U.K. fan

5. Truth_Hurts
    6:03 pm November 13, 2018 Permalink

I’m hoping Duke peaked in November and we’ll peak in March.