Calipari Preaches Confidence on Call-In Show ahead of “War” with LSU

@UKSportsNetwork

John Calipari’s Wildcats aren’t pulling any punches entering Tuesday night’s showdown vs. LSU.  It’s not a top five matchup like Saturday’s against Tennessee, but Cal believes it should be a matchup between Top 10 teams.

“They say they’re top 16, 17, 15, whatever it is — they’re a top ten team,” Calipari said.  “They got size, they’ve got great guard play, they’re athletic, they rebound.  They’re getting about 18 offensive rebounds a game over the last five games.  Here’s a good one for you folks, in the last five games, four of the games they’ve been down double-digits….Against Missouri they were down 14 with 2:20 to go and came back and won. They were down 18 to Arkansas.  Arkansas makes a shot and they miss a layup to win that game.  That’s the only loss.”

In fact, the one-point loss to Arkansas is the only LSU loss since mid-December when they lost to Houston, a three-seed in the NCAA’s Bracket Preview Show over the weekend.  LSU has won all five SEC road games this year, three of which came in overtime.

It should be an absolute war.  It’s gonna be a hard, hard game,” said Coach Cal.

To prepare them for adversity, Calipari is not coddling his players.  He is using a much different method to instill confidence.

Flattery is a poison.  If you’re built up because your family always said you’re destined to do great things and you’re the best, you’re at a disadvantage because it’s really fragile.  If you’re on that gradual climb…all of a sudden now you establish who you are through what we talk about: day-to-day work and then demonstrated performance in the game. You build your own confidence and nobody can take it away.”

Instead of praising P.J. Washington for leading the team in scoring, the first thing he did after the win in Starkville was ask P.J. for more.  Even though he scored, Washington didn’t rebound up to Calipari’s standards.  On the flip side, Cal is happy to see Tyler Herro’s transformation as a defender, Nick Richards’ energy inside and E.J.’s emergence.  They’re doing all of the right things, even without scoring at a crazy clip.

“Numbers don’t matter here,” he said.

The only number that matters to Calipari is the total on the final scoreboard.  The only way to ensure they’ll come away with consecutive wins this week is to play with confidence, even during their darkest hour.  As the Cats prepare for the two toughest games of the SEC season, their confidence will be tested.  Calipari can’t pass that test for them.

“I wish I had a magic wand and could build these guys’ confidence but I can’t,” said Cal.  “It’s hard to play here and I respect these guys.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

28 Comments for Calipari Preaches Confidence on Call-In Show ahead of “War” with LSU

1. 4everUKblue
    7:51 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Where’s mashburnfan, the dUKe apologist and Cal hater?

• mashburnfan1
      8:06 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Every game they tell us how great the opponent is. FACT is here are the non conf wins for LSU. SE La, Memphis, UNC Greensboro, La Tech, Charleston, Grambling, Incarnate Word, St Marys, Furman, UL Monroe. So tell me 4ever who in that win group should get LSU ranked. Just name 1 win from that gauntlet of powers that warrant a ranking. The 3 other non conf teams they played they lost. FSU and Houston {not bad teams to lose to but they lost} and Ok State a bad loss. That is their entire non conf.schedule. ZERO quality wins. In conf they lost to Ark. I know they have 9 wins in SEC but the SEC is not good after UT and UK. 4ever do you think we are 23-0 vs their schedule. I DO and if not we are 22-1. But Cal and KSR will blow smoke up our arse and claim what a great win this was, just like Cal saying they are a top 10 team. Someone ask Cal what one win makes them a top 10 team, he does not even have to give me multiple wins, just one Cal. I agree they look the part but don’t play the part.

• mashburnfan1
      8:10 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

and I hate dUKe. Probably my 3rd least favorite team in the NCAA but I respect them. Just like the Patriots, not a fan but respect all they have done over the years. Glad I was able to witness such greatness. UConn women, you want a coach that PUTS kids in the league but does it while winning titles. They are the true “Gold Standard”. This is considered a bad year for them, they lost what 3 or 4 games. Usually do that over a 2 to 3 year span, amazing what Geno does. UK should go after him when Cal leaves.

• bigbluebanana
      8:52 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Comparing UConn women to any team in b-ball and citing putting people in the league is comparing apples and sand. Too different. Also, I find your logic of solitaire g all over Cal for focusing on putting guys in then nba, THEN saying geno putting so many in the “league” is the gold standard this leading you to say we should hire him, comical. “F Cal and his desire to get kids paid, fire him and hire someone that I’m defining as successful for putting ladies in their league”. That’s like saying electric vehicles are killing the coal industry, then buying a Tesla. Your hypocrisy is telling mash, you use an argument against Cal or UK, then use that same argument to shed positive light on other coaches and programs. It’s like when you say rankings are meaningless until you need a high ranked team to prove your point. “LSU’s tanking is meaningless, but wow, look at dook beating the #3 team”. That’s you, I can’t fathom how you don’t see how ignorant you look.

Please give a rebuttal and make sure you find a way to tell me about your season tickets while you’re at it.

• catsarerunnin
      7:13 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Bashburn is either a UL style troll or one of those “fans” who expect a title every year and every season without a title is a major failure. Those who are like that can’t enjoy wins or great seasons or great players because those things aren’t enough. They are the unreasonable fans who gives our fan base a bad name.

• 4everUKblue
      8:16 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

You’re about as full of sh!t as anyone on this site. I’m gonna let banana do the light work. Personally I celebrate every win because I’m a Kentucky fan and have been since the 50’s. I back my team and my coach and I don’t talk sh!t about them or my coach and I sure as hell do not make excuses for dUKe or their coach. And Geno wouldn’t step foot in this state if it were left up to me, but you are not comparing women’t BB to men’s BB? You’re a joke.

• Kat4Life
      8:38 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Amen

2. 4everUKblue
    8:19 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

And just so you know I don’t bother to read most of your posts because I know they’re filled hatred and disrespect for our program and just general idiocy. To be fair though, you do make me LOL on a regular basis.

• 4everUKblue
      8:24 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

And one more thing, rankings don’t mean anything in the end. Since you respect dUKe and K so much go look at their rosters the last three seasons and tell me they didn’t have the best talent top to bottom and then tell me how those seasons ended, since you have so much respect for what they’ve done. I’m sure you’re going to have a bucket load of excuses.

• Kat4Life
      8:37 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

You just made every point I was on the verge of making. That poster is negative, disrespectful to the point where I do not read any of the posts anymore. Troll.

• 4everUKblue
      8:41 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t realize there was such a thing as a bad win until masburnfan came along. And BTW you are a disgrace the the username you use, if I were Jamal Mashburn I would hunt you down and show you the meaning of disrespect.

3. henderblue
    8:33 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Mashburnfan always looking for a way to downplay any success we might have. The fact that LSU has won all five road games in the conference should be enough to get anyone’s respect. Come Saturday he’ll probably be saying Tennessee is overrated.

• No more excuses cal
      9:14 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

But hey we players first can’t wait till June draft

• 4everUKblue
      9:22 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Is we? Where did you get that education UNCheat fake classes?

• 4everUKblue
      9:32 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

BigolSlatermedic aka No more excuses all the same person.

• BigolBlue
      11:02 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

4 ever,banana,stillbp cats runnin. All 1 person and he/she knows it. Its impossible to have that many people with permanent blue tints. 1 title with Cal and he is like the pope.

• 4everUKblue
      11:27 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

BigolSlaterMedic aka No more excuses, say anything that doesn’t sound like it came from a 12 yr old spoiled stepchild. I’ll wait.

• CATandMONKEY
      4:09 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Actually bOb may have actually made it to 5th grade.

Noexcuses borders on the “cringy ignorant.”

4. No more excuses cal
    9:12 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

No coach in the history of any sport has done Less with more talent than cal

• 4everUKblue
      9:21 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I think you need to go look at K’s history. This is his 39th season at dUKe, he’s had the best talent year in and year out, even before the one and done era, they get the easiest bracket every year, get all the calls, but you and mashburnfan can make excuses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_men%27s_basketball

• henderblue
      9:22 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

You’re an idiot

• 4everUKblue
      9:29 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Of course he is hender, he’s BigolSlaterMedic.

• henderblue
      9:33 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Making less sense with every post, 4ever… That’s Nomoreexcuses…

• bigbluebanana
      9:34 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Yet another “stupidest comment ever” from you. You never cease to amaze me with your stupidity. I can blow your point up very easily. You said any sport. Last year the Milwaukee Bucks had about 3000% more talent than UK, or any college team, yet not title. What about all those years K had number 1 recruiting g class, but not title? I’m begging you, for your own sake, shut the hell up, you’re embarrassing yourself and embarrassing us in the process.

• 4everUKblue
      9:36 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

• Kat4Life
      1:13 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Then follow Duke or Louisville or whatever you feel meets your lofty expectations

• Catsfan1715
      1:45 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Ok so I was talking to my brother today (who’s a UL fan) about the outlandish sh*t that some of these “fans” say on here. Went on about how it made so little sense, either they were actually intellectually challenged, or they had to be trolls. He replied, that he knew for a fact that one of his old buddies frequently trolls us on this site routinely-under different names. He said, the guy doesn’t actually believe any of the sh*t he says he just loves to see us get so upset lol. As sad as that may be-it’s basically the fuel to the dumpster fire that is social media. I just think it’s time to ignore it. If they are trolls, stop reacting and they go away. If they have a disability, trying to reason with them or have an intellectual conversation simply won’t work. Just a thought. (All points above just show that we are 1 title away from claiming the spot of most successful cbb program in the past decade by a long margin. If it doesn’t happen in the next 2 years then I guess we will have to “settle” for top 3, sucks to be a UK fan I guess)

• 4everUKblue
      8:09 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

That makes a lot of sense Catsfan. To anyone who respects what dUKe has been doing, check out all the violations that have surfaced over the years and nothing done about them. You can add rape to Corey Maggette’s accepting money while playing at dUKe charges.