Report: Calipari pitched Kevin Knox on coming back

John Calipari is famous for encouraging his players to chase their NBA dreams, to the point that he jokingly kicked De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, and Bam Adebayo off the team after last season. According to a new report from Kyle Tucker, that was not the case with Kevin Knox.

Knox’s father told Tucker that Calipari pitched Kevin on the idea of returning to Kentucky for another season to better prepare for the NBA (requisite reminder that Knox is one of the youngest players in the country). Currently, Knox is projected to go anywhere from tenth to fifteenth in the lottery, but Calipari believes his stock can get even higher with another year of school.

“He said, ‘Man, we want you to come back, but at the end of the day, if you end up leaving, we will not have been able to see the best of Kevin Knox in Lexington,'” Knox Sr. told SEC Country. “That is yet to come if you decide to leave.’ ”

Well, how about that. Knox Sr. reiterated that the family will make a decision by Friday and it will be a final one in that he won’t just test the waters. If he comes back (if, if, if!), his mission is a national championship. His dad had a really awesome quote about that, but you’ll have to click on over to SEC Country to read it.

[SEC Country]

[mobile_ad]

42 Comments for Report: Calipari pitched Kevin Knox on coming back

1. Duff86
    2:07 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

He just started to scratch the surface of his play making ability right at the end of the season. If he had more consistency in his shot and did not take games off, he’s top five easy. That’s a lot more guaranteed money.

2. WildcatRay
    2:12 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Hope he returns, but I won’t believe that till the deadline to declare comes and goes.

3. plumloopy
    2:13 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Could it be that even Cal is getting fatigued by teaching all new players every year?

4. UK Big Board Update
    2:15 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Dang, who should I believe?

The comment section “fans” who say Cal runs them off?

Or the people who are actually in the room with these kids?

So tough.

5. huntcalvert
    2:18 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

That doesn’t sound like cal.

6. UKantstopus
    2:20 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Cal has these kids best interest above all else, always has and always will…

7. maximumscott
    2:24 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Shai reconsidering is Knox coming back and Cal pitching Shai the chance to be GREAT next season.

8. nstewart
    2:24 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

He Gone

9. UK Fan In Nashville
    2:30 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

They are all coming back.

10. ClutchCargo
    2:33 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

The linked article makes me think there is a better than 50% chance he stays at UK. If that happens, this team could be a poor man’s Golden State Warriors next season. And yes, I’m chugging the blue Kool-aid! 🙂

• BigBlueMeade
      2:49 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I will continue to chug the koolaid until I am proved otherwise that I should not

• BlakeBlueNation
      4:00 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Same here, we are all together ?

• BBN_strive_4_9
      7:44 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I’m chuggin’ the kool-aid boys

11. lexslamman
    2:35 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I have thought since about mid season that Knox and Gilgeous-Alexander were gone to the NBA.

The fact that Cal is pitching Knox on coming back makes me think that EJ Montgomery and other possible bigs for next year (like Wiseman) are not coming to UK.

• ClutchCargo
      2:41 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I don’t see that being the case at all. Cal never talks a kid into staying just to his job easier. In fact, his advice to them usually makes his job even harder.

• ukcamel
      4:27 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

That’s a pretty convenient and cynical view. I guess if my banner came down I might share it too.

12. specks
    2:38 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like his dad is more on the side of having him return with the championship talk. Also sounds like Shai is delaying his decision to see what Knox decides. Very well could be a “if you stay I will too” situation. Don’t underestimate the power of being close as a team and the possibility of having 1 more year together and a chance at a Championship as a reason to return. It isn’t always about money.

• 4everUKblue
      3:57 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

It’s one more year, there is plenty of time to play in the NBA and make big money.

13. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:41 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

According to the NBA Rookie Salary Scale, if he’s drafted 15th, he’ll make about $11M over 4 years. But if he’s drafted 5th or better, he’ll make $20M+ over 4. If he comes back, he’s getting drafted top 5, since he’ll get better and because the current draft is loaded. I think this is one of those few occasions where it makes sense for a lotto pick to come back both basketball-wise (because of his age) and also financially.

• ClutchCargo
      2:45 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Good point. The fact that they are taking their time to consider all the implications is why it makes a lot of sense that he will stay another year.

• maximumscott
      3:17 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

You also need to look at the risk vs reward. In a business world is the risk of 9 million over 4 years (11mil vs 20mil) worth coming back to college. He could also lose that 11mil if he doesnt perform well. For him it would be smarter to go NBA his stock will be harder to raise than Knox. Knox could be a legit top 5 pick. Shai should go. Knox should stay.

• ukcamel
      4:33 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

As much as I’d love for Shai to stay, if he is projected in the lottery he should go unless he just wants to play one more year of college (perhaps mature off the court in the friendly UK environment). Unlike Knox, it is extremely unlikely he will materially improve his stock.

One thing that is really overblown is the idea that guys fall a lot in the draft. This is a perception because there are always 50 guys every year that are “projected” in the first round and 25 in the lottery. Most of the guys who “slip” were never going to be drafted that high to begin with, they were either never viewed that highly or were exposed in pre-draft workouts (which would happen whenever you go).

14. mikeintn
    2:44 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Ok I’m drinking the kool-aid also, and I’m liking it!

15. RealCatsFan
    2:51 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I will say this – Knox SR sounds like an extremely balanced and intelligent person. Polar opposite of the Big Baller! Kevin is fortunate to have parents like that – especially his dad being so present in his life. A lot of kids in his situation do not have that.

16. secrick
    3:07 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I may be stupid but i take the 11 million over the 4 years and say thanks to the Ky fans.Would love to have him back though.

• maximumscott
      3:18 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I take the 11mil also. The difference of 9 mil wouldnt be enough for me to stay considering he could drop in next years draft if he doesnt perform well or gets hurt then it could be off the table.

• timbo
      3:53 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

The difference isn’t nine million when you consider he’ll have either $3M or $0M in the next few months… time value of money matters. Without working through the short math, I’d say they’re very close with interest rates rising.

• lexslamman
      3:26 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Financially speaking, he’s better off staying and waiting an extra year to make significantly more money. You don’t need a degree in actuarial sciences to figure that out – without accounting for their background and pesonal issues, all of these kids are better off staying it it means a significant increase in income – however, family, personal and background issues surely have a role to play in these decisions, and I don’t knock any kid who wants to start earning money off of his athleticism 1-3 years early – they have a very finite time in which they will be able to profit from their skills.

17. secrick
    3:35 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Sorry don’t have that degree and if i did i still wouldn’t take the chance. Go get the money Kevin but please come back.

18. Azulgrande75
    6:41 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

The “people in the room with these kids” have been known to stretch the truth to fit their own cause, let’s face it. KSR=CNN.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:05 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Or you can just make stuff up without fully understanding to be outraged, lets face it. UK message board commenters = Fox News

I’ll be more willing to trust the person directly involved, over someone who has never stepped foot in Cal’s office.

19. KYjellyRoll
    7:48 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Is there enough scholarship spots for them all to return, plus the freshmen coming in?

20. SuperTroy18
    8:52 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I’m torn. I REALLY want SGA back, and I’m afraid he physically isn’t anywhere near ready for NBA guys, strength-wise. But I also believe his stock could not get any higher, and he’d be crazy to stay.

If he goes, I’ll completely understand.
    If he stays, I will do backflips.