Calipari once threw a bowl of oatmeal at a wall because it had raisins in it

I’ve heard of some weird superstitions in sports, but John Calipari’s may take the cake. Calipari recently did an interview with Graham Bensinger in which he reveals some of his odd game day quirks, like collecting bobby pins, not letting his players get game day hair cuts, and eating oatmeal, but not if it has raisins.

“Any coach out there that wants to lose, you make sure they put raisins in the breakfast oatmeal,” Cal warned. “You’ll go down, don’t worry about that.”

The Sporting News has more from the interview, in which Calipari says he once threw a bowl of oatmeal at a wall because it had raisins in it.

“We were 27-0, I walk in and there’s raisins in the oatmeal. [I] literally grab the oatmeal, throw it against the wall …”

“You did not,” the host said, stunned. “What?” Calipari responded, shocked the host doesn’t believe him.

“Threw it against the wall and we lost the game – at home. We had a 50-game winning streak and we lose the game. I knew we were going to lose. I think I got thrown out of the game. For not saying anything.”

I think Cal may be off on his numbers a bit, because he’s only had one team that’s gone 27-0, and I don’t remember Kentucky losing last season until game #39. He’s had two teams get to 26-0 at UMass and Memphis. Regardless, if anyone serves oatmeal with raisins, he’s leaving. He will not eat f****** oatmeal with raisins!

The full interview will air on WKYT this Sunday at 4:30 a.m., so set your DVRs (for local listings, click here). Here’s a preview:

6 Comments for Calipari once threw a bowl of oatmeal at a wall because it had raisins in it

1. Damon
    6:28 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I’m not sure if you were joking or not but I think he was referring to the home game winning streak. I think we had won about 50 in a row until we lost to Baylor. That’s just off the top of the head so I could be wrong.

2. Damon
    6:32 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

My bad I reread it and I see what you are talking about now. Apologies.

3. Travis
    6:33 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Calipari had oatmeal raisins on the day of the wisconsin game, thanks alot oatmeal raisins

4. Megan
    6:44 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I fully support Coach in his distaste for raisins in oatmeal. Or in any other food. They’re like tiny prunes. Yuk.

5. derek
    8:20 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

The collecting bobby pins was a Adolph Rupp thing. He would always find a bobby pin before a game and they would win. So it became Adolph’s “four leaf clover”. It worked well until the players started getting from the cheerleaders and purposely leaving them for him to find. I remember being at SEC fan days and hearing a UK basketball player from the 50’s tell that story.

6. The Church Lady
    2:54 pm November 5, 2015 Permalink

Not very Christian to believe in superstitions. Superstition is based on the ignorant faith of an object having magical powers. Another word for superstition is “idolatry.” The Bible does not support the idea of things occurring by chance, but nothing is done outside of God’s sovereign control. Either He causes or allows everything in keeping with His divine plan (Acts 4:28; Ephesians 1:10).

We should get our faith not from objects or rituals of man-made origin, but from the one true God who gives eternal life. “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority” (Colossians 2:8-10).