Calipari on UK’s NET ranking: “Don’t care”

When John Calipari picked up his copy of the NCAA’s first NET rankings of the season on Monday, his Kentucky Wildcats were nowhere to be found in the top 25. So he looked a little further down the list, then a little further, then a little more, then a little more after that, and realized his Cats didn’t even crack the top 50.

Kentucky was all the way down at No. 61 on the list, behind schools like Furman, Montana, North Texas, Abilene Christian and Liberty.

UK not even in Top 50 in NCAA’s first NET Rankings

On Tuesday he was asked what he thought of his team’s place in the NCAA’s new system. He simply said, “Too early. Somebody told me there was a team that was five or eighth that you’re like, what? It’s too early. Don’t care.”

And he’s exactly right. It’s way too early to read into the NET and I’m wondering if the NCAA has regrets about releasing it so early in the season. The rankings won’t really be a good representation of college basketball’s best teams until February. Right now, it’s nothing more than a misrepresentation of the best teams. Undefeated Kansas being outside the top 10 with two AP top 10 wins is all I needed to see. Ohio State at No. 1 is a joke.

So like Calipari, you should not care. I know the Big Blue Nation is guilty of caring way too much, but the NET in December is really stupid.

And I have no idea how Calipari read the rankings yesterday. I wrote that first paragraph like he had a hard copy but somebody probably just sent him a text with UK’s ranking and then he went back to whatever he was doing. Probably yelling about defense, I assume.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Calipari on UK’s NET ranking: “Don’t care”

1. BigolBlue
    9:13 pm November 27, 2018 Permalink

Ask him how much his nba guys salary is combined though. He knows that

• bigbluebanana
      10:27 pm November 27, 2018 Permalink

Where did he say he didn’t know something? Your attempt at edgy humor falls short all the time, according to your wife, it’s not the only thing that falls short.
      |/_

• mashburnfan1
      10:54 pm November 27, 2018 Permalink

Show him the latest NBA draft projections, that is what he “cares” about. Team rankings….blah…

• ClutchCargo
      12:31 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

Even a basic understanding of the NET should tell you why he doesn’t care about it in November, nor should he. Try again, mashburnfan.

• henderblue
      8:05 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

BigolBluecardinaldumbass has a wife? Nah I’m thinking he’s probably about 15

• cats646
      9:31 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

He’s 15 and his boyfriend just broke up with him.

2. blueblood4life
    11:22 pm November 27, 2018 Permalink

Lol these so called Kentucky fans love to put our coach down ! He’s basically saying that the ncaa don’t know their Ass from a hole in the ground !! We have got the best coach and we will be ready in March !

3. Jiminy Crickets
    1:00 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

We have this same conversation EVERY year. 6 out of 9 years, when he had elite talent, it worked, 3 out of 9 when he didn’t have elite talent, it didn’t. Cal thinks UK fans are stupid, he may be right. This “when I think they know, they don’t” and “it’s a process” is regurgitated rhetoric. But people still think he’s telling the truth. When asked a question about anything, he jumbles his answer so bad, no one is sure if he answered the question or not.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      5:03 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

Define Elite talent please.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      5:08 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

We went to the Finals with Julius Randle being our best player..would you call him elite? I wouldn’t.

• bigbluebanana
      7:38 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

They can’t answer your logical questions watchu. They only know they’re anti-uk rhetoric. It’s worse than politics here with these anti-Cal people. Ask them logical questions or for a reasonable argument and all you get back is “They took our jobs” type arguments like the rednecks from that South Park episode. Angry, petty, and ignorant little guys.

• Jiminy Crickets
      8:19 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

U guys are funny. I didn’t even say anything bad about Calipari. What I said was, we go through this every year. 6/9 times it’s worked out great. 3/9 it didn’t. Calipari talks in circles because he wants to. He doesn’t feel the need to explain anything. This is his ship. Maybe you crybaby bitches can actually read next time, instead of jumping to conclusions

• Jiminy Crickets
      8:36 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

9 players off the 2014 team went to NBA within 2years. I’d say that’s pretty elite. The 3 years on not elite I’m talking about are 2013 when our backcourt has harrow and Hayes. With Archie and Alex as best players. Would you call any of those elite? Or 2016 when Murray was likely elite, and ulis was great college kid, but not elite, then Alex and Lee were our interior. Would you call any of them elite? Or how about last year when Knox and SGA were well above average but not elite, followed by team of underachievers. If your question to me is if I thought Randle was elite, I think he was.

• Jiminy Crickets
      8:38 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

My apologies I mistyped. 6 players off 2014 went to nba within 2 years

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      9:17 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

I’m being a cry baby because I asked you define your stance? It isn’t just this post. I’ve seen your negative comments many times lately. So now you say the 2014 team had elite players because they ended up in the NBA? Like James Young, Andrew Harrison…etc? Those are the “elite” players you’re saying we don’t have now? At least if you are going to have an argument make it logical and well-defined.

4. mcp157
    7:22 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

This team needs to grow. That’s it in a nutshell and these early season BS rankings mean nothing. Chill BBN!

5. IrishCat
    7:30 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

4 or 5 of the regular commenters on this site are absolute embarrassments. Not just for their childish incessant complaints, but to the game of basketball. The problems they perceive are laughable, and in the rare occasion they present a solution they are more so. I hope, fir the sake of their kids and grandkids, that they never ever attempt to coach at the youth level.

6. Jiminy Crickets
    8:22 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

There’s like 5 of you pathetic people that scope every post and pounce on anyone that’s not singing the praises. You guys actually feel like you make a difference, lol. Maybe you should focus on global warming

• IrishCat
      10:19 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

It’s a reaction to those of you who scope every post to be as negative as possible. I’ve been reading this site for years. I only registered this week, and the ONLY reason I did was to try to balance the horrible example of a fan base, the vocal minority who attack every single post.

• bigblue2284
      12:35 pm November 28, 2018 Permalink

The issue jiminy has is you literally can’t say anything remotely negative without you all attacking. Even if it’s true.

IrishCat it’s fans like you that refuse to actually pay attention without blue shades on. Watch the teams play not just this year but almost every year. Everything that doesn’t directly involve just out classing opponents from a talent prospective is a disaster, cal never has his teams ready to play. They run a switching defense that gets exploited for match up advantages, our offensive half court sets are non existent it’s simply drive looking for a foul and he attaches himself to players and refuses to bench them even when they aren’t the best option ie Harrison over Ulis.

• IrishCat
      2:20 pm November 28, 2018 Permalink

bigblue I’ve barely posted on this site, so don’t pretend to know what kind of fan I am. You’re projecting. I have absolutely no problem questioning or criticizing coaches whatsoever. My dad was a basketball coach my entire childhood, so believe me, I’m accustomed to, and comfortable with questioning coaching systems and decisions regularly. What I don’t have patience for are those who insist on continually dragging on the program despite obvious success. To hear a lot on this site talk you’d think we were barely a tournament team the last 10 years. Stop being so miserable. If your feelings toward a college sports team are always negative then you’ve simply got an unhealthy relationship to basketball. I wish Cal did a few things differently, and I’m happy to discuss that. If you’re honest w/ yourself, you know that many of these posts and posters aren’t doing that.

• bigblue2284
      5:34 pm November 28, 2018 Permalink

Your the fan who has accepted an absolute joke of a football program for 30 years and by default the reason it hasn’t changed. The administration feels no pressure to invest in football because we aren’t “a football school”. This past season’s fluke won’t last I assure you because this coaching staff is awful.

Basketball is fine but you don’t get to say we only hang championship banners then use Sweet 16s to justify Cal’s success. The guy caught lightning in a bottle with Davis or wouldn’t have won anything.

7. KYjellyRoll
    9:11 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

This team is fixing to turn a corner! I see a blowout!

• cats646
      9:33 am November 28, 2018 Permalink

I hope you’re right.

• bigblue2284
      12:37 pm November 28, 2018 Permalink

They are always “turning the corner” against awful teams. They oddly always “revert back” against good teams.

8. somerset bill
    12:40 pm November 28, 2018 Permalink

It doesn’t matter at this point, other that to signal a possible red flag for the future. If the Duke loss had that much of an impact, it may be an indication that we could never overcome it at the end of the year to end up on the top line for the tourney unless we were a clear number 1 or 2 team. If we are number 3 or 4 in the regular polls, what are the odds that numbers 5, 6, 7 have that big of a negative in their stats?