Calipari on playing Ulis: “It’s a step up in energy”

Photos by Darrell Bird, CatsPause.comPhotos by Darrell Bird, CatsPause.com
Photos by Darrell Bird, CatsPause.com

With his small stature and crisp passes, Tyler Ulis has been one of the stars of the Cats’ trip to the Bahamas so far. Marcus Lee told reporters after the game that Ulis was the biggest surprise of the tour for him, calling the freshman a “bulldog” and telling the story about how Ulis refused to back down from DeMarcus Cousins during a pickup game last year. Calipari also raved about Ulis during his in-game interview with ESPNU, telling Jay Bilas and Kevin Connors that when he goes to the bench to put Tyler in, “there’s not a drop off, it’s a step up”:

“He’ll deliver balls for shots and really change the complexion of what everyone’s looking at. What Tyler does, how about when you go to the bench and you’re bringing him in. There’s not a drop off, it’s a step up. It’s a step up in energy, it’s a step up and you know he’s going to go play. He’s going to get it to you in a place where you can score.”

Whoa. How does Andrew Harrison feel about those remarks? Cal said that both Andrew and Tyler are “doing a good job running this team,” and he’s proud of how the freshman has pushed Andrew to work on his own passing. “Andrew is so much better at pushing the ball,” Cal said. A little competition doesn’t hurt anyone, right?

While we’ve grown accustomed to the platoon style substitutions, Cal said he’s looking forward to playing Andrew and Tyler at the same time. “I’ve got two point guards who are terrific,” Cal said. “I can play both together, late in the game I can have them both on the court together. There are times if I want to change up so that Andrew’s ahead to attack, you put them both in together.”

Hopefully we’ll get to see a taste of that on this trip.

20 Comments for Calipari on playing Ulis: “It’s a step up in energy”

1. CrazyCatFan
    6:05 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

WOW!!! Just … WOW!!!

2. Gman
    6:15 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

This is Andrews team, there is no worse thing we can do than call that into question and throw the locker room into turmoil.

• Wow
      6:40 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

G-man, just shut up

• Gman
      7:47 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

You’re right. We saw how well having two quarterbacks worked. What could go wrong with not having an established leader? Ignorant.

• Butters
      7:59 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m guessing Gman didn’t see how well running off at the mouth (keyboard?) about Calipari worked last season too. Ignorant indeed.

• Gman
      9:58 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m not running on about Cal, I’m talking about little panty wastes, who have never set foot in a locker room, going around trying to undermine Andrews leadership of the team. If you even slightly had your head out of your ass you would know that a team has to have an established leader, if there is any kind of a power struggle the team cohesiveness will shatter. I don’t know why I bother, pearls before swine.

3. Competition
    6:37 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Cal is using that to motivate Drew on the defensive end. It’s not like he said Ulis is better. People are raving over Ulis, but Andrew’s numbers are better. Both are great and will benefit the team because we can have a change of pace during the season, Ulis would’ve helped us against UCONN. Nothing to see here….

• Jus Sayin
      7:29 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Andrew Harrison is still the best starter. Tyler Ulis will be a better player but not yet. Andrew still had better number in the games with the same amount of minutes.

4. UKBlue
    7:04 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

The B squad plays with more energy.

5. Tom Blevins
    7:12 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Thank you, Larry Brown for recruiting Emmanuel Mudiay. If we had signed him, we probably wouldn’t have offered Tyler Ulis.

6. katdaddy
    7:39 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

#3 a far better Point!

7. UKALLDay
    7:46 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Cal knows it, You know it, I know it, Stevie Wonder knows it. Tyler is CLEARLY better than Andrew. They both are good and Andrew is a lot better and more in control. But Tyler is special, he is better at ever facet of the game, he just isn’t 6’5, that is all that Andrew has on him. Also that B team has played better. As soon as they come in the game changes.

• Butters
      8:04 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know it, and I seriously doubt Cal does either. I’m as impressed/excited as the next guy with Tyler, but Andrew is the starting point guard.

• jus sayin
      10:20 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

You know this from 2 exhibition games where he played a combined 40 min?

8. bigbluetruth
    9:07 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Both are great point guards who will get lots of minutes this year. Andrew is the starter and leader of this team. How soon we forget that Andrew led the CATS to the championship game last year and he’s already looking better, stronger, faster and better on the defensive end this year. Anyone who says different makes me wonder if you’re a LOSERVILLE TROLL hoping to create a rift within BBN. Alex is going to be beast, we’re going to see what we seen flashes of in his freshman year. He knows now that Noel and Randal isn’t here anymore and he doesn’t have to sit back and wait, this is his year to be the man making top 10 plays game in game out on ESPN. GO CATS

9. njCat
    9:16 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Its nice to have them both. Andrew has difficulty with small quick guards that can get into the lane. Ulis may have difficulty with big guards. And I don’t see them on the court at the same time. Can’t have all our shooters on the bench and you have to have at least two big guys in there. Really like Wlllis at the 3. He’s a big upgrade over Wiltjer.

10. Casper
    9:27 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

it might be illegal, but I wish Tyler would take growth hormone and grow 3 inches.

11. Why would you write this post?
    10:00 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

TT, are you trying to start drama? It’s these kind of posts that annoy me. Andrew is the leader of this team and you could hear that in Ulis’ post game interview. I love Ulis just as much as anyone else, but I’ll stick with the 6′ 5″ point guard who led us to a championship appearance last year. No quicker way to ruin this team than bench the leader and twin brother to our best scorer. I expected KSR to be bigger than posting petty information and trying to sow discord this early in the year, but I guess I was wrong.

12. theWilkman
    10:05 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

This is silly. Andrew will be the starter but Ulis will get some serious minutes. Why can’t they be on the floor at the same time? Ulis has shown he can hit the open 3, so the argument for “not enough shooters” is lacking.

The thought I keep coming back to the past 3 games though is this: if Ulis truly will be here for 4 years, I’m not worried about Cal leaving for the NBA.

13. don
    10:08 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

We have many great basketball players on this team. I just want to wish them well and have fun playing basketball. Having fun a sticking together and ignoring the outside noise, I hope will keep them playing as a team. That is what will bring another championship to KENTUCKY!!