Calipari on Keldon Johnson’s struggles

The fact that Kentucky was able to beat Georgia by 20 with zero points from its leading scorer, Keldon Johnson, is promising for the team, but what’s up with the explosive young Cat? John Calipari told reporters today that Johnson is still trying to figure out how to be a part of the offense when the other team focuses on shutting him down.

“He’ll be fine. He’ll be fine. Teams are collapsing on him. We’re saying, you’ve got to find people, well, but yeah, you’ve got to score. That’s what you do for us. Yeah, you’ve got to see people, but, ‘Coach, you’re telling me to score and see people if they collapse.’ Yeah, that’s how you play the game. You take what they give you. He’s not quite there yet with that. But when he does — because he can pass, he can handle it. But we need him to score baskets.”

Kentucky can afford an off night from one of its stars vs. teams like Georgia, but against Auburn? Hopefully the bright lights of a Top 15 matchup will inspire a big performance.

[mobile_ad]

7 Comments for Calipari on Keldon Johnson’s struggles

1. maximumscott
    4:29 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Even with the struggles of Johnson, Reid and Travis in recent games, to still beat UGA at their place by 20 is a sign of a good team. If we can get PJ, Reid and Johnson firing and Herro starts hitting deep balls. This team will be scary good

• KYjellyRoll
      5:26 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Reid and Travis? Lol who u mean?

• Wade
      5:37 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

You know what he’s talking bout!Go lube up with your big roll of kyjelly.

• KYjellyRoll
      10:56 am January 19, 2019 Permalink

Well he said Reid and Travis so obviously he meant to say Reid and —— who?

• dcforuk
      10:43 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

I’ll speak a little out of both sides of my mouth for a minute. If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we could have one heckuva party. However, you are correct that this team, I believe, does have tremendous potential.

2. J. Did
    5:44 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Reid is fine. He does what he does. He will be fine.

Coaches focus and key on guys to shut down.

Reid is one; Keldon is one.

This is why Hagans and Herro run loose.

I don’t worry about it. We can sub in the bigs for them.

When the bigs enter the game, we’ll get the needed interior movement, boards, and points.

GO CATS!

3. Kizzy
    6:20 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Yes we will be ok. I got to wonder why almost every team is hitting contested threes on us. It’s out of control this year.

When Zion Williamson was hitting on us I knew something wasn’t right.