Calipari on if Tyler Herro is the next Rex Chapman

Nick Richards may have stolen the show, but Tyler Herro turned plenty of heads in Kentucky’s win over the Bahamas National Team, finishing with 16 points, 12 in the first half. The freshman came to Lexington with a reputation as a three-point specialist, but his performance tonight showed he is so much more.

“I think a lot of people labeled me as a shooter so if you’re competitive, you want to show people other things you can do,” Herro said afterwards. “Just going out there and competing myself is what I’m known for and wherever I go and whoever I play, I’ve got that competitive edge and my teammates know that.”

Calipari raved about Herro’s high basketball IQ, which he said the rest of his team lacked at times in their first outing.

“He does [play with confidence]. [I like] that he makes basketball plays. I said, we probably missed ten layups. Some was the decision making was a little bit suspect. In transition, we tried to make the hardest plays instead of just making a basket. But he even tried to defend.”

Herro said he was pleased with the win, but not his performance.

“I think I played alright. I didn’t play my best. I still missed a few three-pointers I should have hit. I’ve got to step it up on the defensive end.”

After Herro’s dunk late in the second half, many fans are asking: could he be the next Rex Chapman?

“I think Rex thinks he’s the next Rex,” Calipari said. “I just want him to be Tyler Herro. Be who you are. Rex had a heck of a career here and has a heck of a following even today. Tyler is different. Rex was a real high flyer. Tyler can jump and do that, but Rex was unique and Rex ended up being special. In time, that may be the case, but for right now, let’s let Tyler be Tyler.”

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for Calipari on if Tyler Herro is the next Rex Chapman

1. Carcrook
    12:53 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

We said, Cal! I’m sure, Cal knows all about Rex, but I highly doubt he’s studied and watched hours upon hours, of Rex, playing on film! Smh…You think someone, asked this question because Herro’s “white?”

• ibescootch
      1:26 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

You know you don’t have to use quotes when it’s a true statement, right? Like, he is actually white. That’s not just a popular opinion ?

• Carcrook
      12:55 pm August 9, 2018 Permalink

Thanks, for the lesson on quotations! Most ppl on here never saw, Rex play or was born, lol. I’m 39 and vaguely remember seeing people, wearing I heart Rex T-shirts. I just find it funny people compare this kid to another WHITE guy, that played at UK 30yrs. ago! Hell, I’m sure we could go back to 60’s & 70’s and compare him to, a Pat Riley. *PS- Not trying to make this a “Racist”, quote. I’m just a fat old white guy! Did I, use the quotation marks correctly this time?

• gocatsgo08
      3:59 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

No it’s not an opinion that he’s white, but have you heard anyone compare him to Doron Lamb? Derrick Miller? Why do YOU think he’s being compared to Rex and not some of the other shooting guards who have played here and are similar?

2. CombatMedic_98
    8:21 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

Because not a lot of white boys are very very good at basketball in comparison to the African-American kids that come through statistically it’s obvious he’s a very talented athlete and is comparable to a previous talented athlete Rex Chatman that is also white it’s just a fact and everybody knows it

• CombatMedic_98
      9:30 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

Stop living life concerned about skin color…heaven forbid someone compared Hero to someone else…Kenny Skywalker, Teyshawn Prince, Jeff Brassow, Jeff Sheppard…!

3. runningunnin.454
    9:03 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

Probably not fair to Herro to compare him to Rex at this point, and that’s what Cal was probably getting at.
    But, I found the similarities uncanny…the quick, high elevation on the jump shots and the ability to just pull up and shoot over the defender; sounds like Chapman has noticed the resemblance, too.

4. Wade
    10:17 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

Herro is the best on the team hands down.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am August 9, 2018 Permalink

He certainly looks the most ready to compete if the season started today. I think he can be a great player. Like Devin Booker, but with the ability to play defense.

5. CombatMedic_98
    7:21 pm August 9, 2018 Permalink

Whoah…Hero is not a Rex Chapman! He is a replica of Jeff Sheppard with Chapman’s shot/touch. WOW