Calipari on His Players Respecting Women

BlOU0_2IgAAXUF4

As a sign of the dedication I have to the Big Blue Nation, I watched the “O’Reilly Factor” tonight (I would rather watch the “Forde/Thamel Factor”) to see his interview with John Calipari about his new book. Most of the interview was of the “how do you handle these disrespectful kids who like rap and hip hop” variety (although I was a fan of Bill’s tie), but Calipari did have one line that stuck out to me. The coach said, “If I walk in a home and a kid disrespects a woman, his mother or grandmother, then I am out…I wont recruit them.”

Strong words from Calipari and ones that I am sure we all agree with. If you want to be recruited by Calipari, be kind to your mothers and grandmothers kids…a good life lesson from John Calipari.

(For more on the Calipari/O’Reilly interview, including video, click this link here)

Article written by Matt Jones

71 Comments for Calipari on His Players Respecting Women

1. schwing
    10:33 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

blatant generalizations for ratings controversy from billo? what is this world coming to?

• jeffrey
      3:17 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

He does it all the time

• DINO
      8:37 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I know Matt claims to be liberal (which I’m sure he believes) and Cal would probably state the same, but these two might want to rethink their position. What I heard Cal preach on the radio yesterday (and Matt tout as well) about letting kids reap some of the rewards of their success and talent, while keeping the hands of the powers that be out of their cookie jars, is straight up conservatism.

It works in the free market, it works for these players, it works for the fans, and it is working for coaches like Cal. Think about it. Who would have thought that a players first approach that sent kids to the nba asap would produce better college teams for these coaches? But it does. How does revenue go up when taxes are decreased? But they do. Conservatism. To quote the “blowhard” on after Matt in Lex., “works every time it’s tried”. And he’s right. It’s not a new idea. Just a forgotten one.

• NotaDem
      8:43 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Agree. Think most logical “liberals” really think as conservatives but declare themselves liberal b/c liberalism is a shelter for them and whatever vice (i.e. abortion, drugs, humping anything that moves) they can’t give up. If they declared themselves conservative, they feel they’d have address their sins. So they walk into the voting booth and pull the D lever. A lot easier than walking into the confessional.

• uk3k_j
      9:18 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

So you just pick and choose liberals you like and name them honorary conservatives? interesting.

• DINO
      10:05 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m just saying, like bandwagon fans, some people don’t know what they are. But if you think that by dismissing me as some kind of nut make my statements any less true, then I’d say you truly are a liberal.

• Fake Fake Gimel Martinez
      10:18 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Funny, its almost as if someone’s beliefs don’t have to all be boxed up into one of two camps….

2. NKY_UK_fan
    10:37 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Look, I respect my elders, but a fair amount of the older generation need to move on. I don’t mean dirt naps, I mean take their voices away. They label the youthful generation as entitled even though they feel entitled to whatever they want at their age. Rant over.

• CliffFrankLou
      12:11 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Obviously, you do not respect your elders. Silence them because they disagree with you? Amazing…

3. stevieb
    10:37 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

I got the feeling OReilly hasn’t watched an NCAA game in his life

4. DB11
    10:37 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Odd, when UL coaches enter family homes that’s the biggest qualification for a scholarship.

• respect
      10:41 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

I hear pitino just asks the mothers if they like Italian cause he knows a really good Italian restaurant in Louisville he can take them to…

5. respect
    10:39 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

You should take notes Matt..you should not only have respect for women but people who call in to your show. You’re a major dick to people sometimes, and for that I support everyone on this site more than you.

• NKY_UK_fan
      10:46 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Chill out Tony Vanetti

• STOOPS TROOPS
      11:01 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Lay off Matt. He treats all with respect unless there rude first

• Dee W.
      1:00 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

You are oozing respect, Mr. “respect.”

6. BBB
    10:46 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Keep watchin the factor Matt…..it might rub off a little……..I thought Cal looked a slight bit nervous….which I’ve never seen……. but it was a good segment and an outstanding plug for UK basketball. Go Cal!

• Elwood Blues
      10:51 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt’s already a douchebag, why would you want Bill’s racist bigotry rub off on him, too?

• BigBlue92
      12:45 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Why does everyone hate Matt? Are we seriously becoming a crybaby society? The guy gives us a website and media forum to strengthen what it is to be a UK fan, but all anyone wants to do is hate? I see how he could come off as a douchebag when having to deal with the whining from every catfaninyourface that posts in the comment section. These are also the people that make our fan base look bad by cursing players on twitter.

• BOOMERUOFK
      7:52 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Elwood, you my friend have said the dumbest thing of the day. Wow, some people need to educate themselves better before they make idiotic remarks. I feel sorry for you.

7. Brandon
    10:48 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

That interview as a whole was kind of unreal. I applaud Coach Cal for cutting off any type of trouble O’Reilly was starting.

8. Micki DeMoss's Mustache
    10:52 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

“If I walk in a home and a kid disrespects a woman, I sign him up immediately.”- Rick Pitino

9. stevieb
    10:52 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Obviously an attempt to impress the inner city youth of america. They all watch the Factor.

Maybe he’ll be on Mad Money tomorrow.

10. Bill O'Reilly
    10:55 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Hide yo kids. Hide yo wife.

11. ...
    10:58 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

O’Reilly is a racist. He wanted Cal to say they’re all drug users who curse at him and use women… tough to hear a grown man talk about young men like that. Cal handled it well, though.

• Blue Hair
      11:02 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Matt Jones needs to stop posting this right wing propaganda.

• TrueBlue2
      6:44 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

It is amazing that you have the ability to read people’s minds so that you know what they want people to say. You should try to make come money off that.

How absolutely stupid are your comments.

12. OldUKFan
    11:03 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

What he says just reaffirms what we’ve seen. The genuine affection and respect guys like John Wall, MKG, Randle, The Harrisons and others have for their moms is what reminds us that they are good kids. I think Cal’s take on how a kid treats his elders is a very good indication of how they are going to respond to him.

13. Steve
    11:18 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

He said grandfathers too.

14. Chaz
    11:26 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for the link Matt, somehow I missed the broadcast.

Two points:

1) O’Reilly isn’t a racist. You’re allowed to stop reading now and flame me for all you’re worth. He’s a TV personality and cares less if you’re white, black, yellow, brown or red as long as he gets paid. I don’t watch his show and you don’t have to either.

2) Cal was Cal. He’s got his spiel, and I’ll give him this – it doesn’t deviate. Almost all the UK players that have played under him represent what the NCAA tries to sell people on. O’Rielly is a better man for being in the same room, even if he doesn’t know the difference in a basketball and a Christmas fruitcake.

• jeffrey
      3:19 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

He makes insane generalizations about the black community and black culture, he is racist,

• Yup
      6:40 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Totally insane that black communities have higher crime rates and higher drug abuse rates. Where on earth did Bill get that crap? #wakeup

• BOOMERUOFK
      7:55 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Jeffrey is a racist

• jeffrey
      11:24 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

@Boom: Yep you totally got me there with your sound logic.

15. Blue To The Bone...
    11:49 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like more on this board than just Matt Jones could stand to watch a little more BO and FoxNews…People are standing by and watch this President and the Democratic Party take more of your freedoms away everyday and you don’t either seem to know it or don’t give a damn…There is a lot of racism going on in this country, but it sure as hell is not coming from the Republican Party…There are no bigger racist in this country than the ones that live in the Democratic Party…

• bluegrazzcat
      12:21 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

They need to take away your freedom to post. Seriously, that was the most racists sounding interviews I’ve listened to. My wife and watched it together and we both just looked at each other in shock. “So you recruit poor African-Americans who have no fathers? Do they listen to rap music and yell four letter words at you? Do they do drugs? These kids just give them drugs?

Wow…people watch this guy?

• Blue To The Bone...
      2:40 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Thank you bluegrazzcat for making one of my points…If you are a liberal in this country “yours” is the only opinion that should be heard and this admin. is doing its best to stifle any dissent that their detractors might have even if 90% of the time they are right…WAKE UP..

• TrueBlue2
      6:48 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Blue…. agree.

The moronic comments of people like Bluegrazzcat clearly make your point.

• BOOMERUOFK
      7:58 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Blue…absolutely agree.
      If you don’t agree with their stance then your a racist. They are playing this card more and more. Watch…this next election cycle will be nothing but liberals calling republicans racists, because they sure as hell cant promote their record. It’s to the point that its hilarious.

• Jarvis Redwine
      8:00 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

There’s not a dime’s worth of difference between a mainstream republican and a mainstream democrat. The partisan rhetoric is a manufactured narrative to give the general public the illusion of choice. Wake up sheeple!

This little video gets it right!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB16CGR8X1A

• DerbyDemon
      8:22 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m a little curious BoomerUofK and Blue to the Bone. Please name me ONE freedom the current administration has taken away. Let’s see, it can’t be guns; there’s way too many of them for everyone. I believe you all still have your freedom to state your BS views. I will say one thing for you idiots: you NEVER let facts stand in the way of your “arguments”–however pitiful they may be. Fox News, now THERE’S something unbiased.

• CA
      10:31 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

DerbyDemon – You asked waht freedoms are being taken away – (1) the freedom of speech – if you disagree with anything this administration says you are called a racist. Yet, Holder goes on a rant about him and the POTUS being treated worse than any other POTUS and attorney general – not true (2) Michelle is trying to tell children what they can and cannot eat at school (that should the parents responsibility); (3) Obamacare – the government telling you what healthcare you can have and taking away your choice of doctors and hospitals. Do you want me to go on??

16. Wrong
    11:50 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

U misquoted cal. Don’t put in quotations if that’s not exactly what he said.

17. mike
    12:40 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Blue To The Bone, I agree.

18. Dee W.
    1:25 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Just watched…really awkward behavior on the part of O’Reilly…seemed really disorganized and unprepared. The way he asked the questions seemed very “thrown together” like he didn’t plan for the interview at all.

19. O'Racist
    1:56 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

There’s no way I’d ever watch that ignorant buffoons show. Even for Cal. He’s a race baiting, bigoted dinosaur. And the country will be a much better place when he and his ilk go extinct. The only good he provides is for Stewart and Colbert to make hilarious skits about his stupidity and hypocrisy.

• TrueBlue2
      6:41 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

O’Racist, Bill O has the largest audience on cable TV.

It is the racists/bigots at MSNBC (like Sharpton, Madcow, etc) that are going extinct. Their viewership is in the tank and is on a steady decline.

You are eating the Democrat dogfood … try thinking for yourself.

• Jarvis Redwine
      8:02 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

If you’re eating Democrat dogfood OR Republican dogfood, you’re not thinking for yourself.

Wake up, sheeple!

20. ibescootch
    2:06 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I seriously love Cal as much as anyone, but I wouldn’t read too much into this. He is a genius recruiter. He is a walking, talking, breathing, day-in, day-out, eating, sleeping, recruiter. Every single thing he does and says is deliberate. And I’m not saying much of it isn’t true or real, like I’m sure the stress has aged him, I’m sure he goes to Mass, and really does love all the kids he coaches, and gets mad at himself for missing things, etc. But he knows exactly who runs the show in every high school seniors house, and it’s momma. This statement is aimed at every momma in America that has a 6’4″+ male basketball player for a son. Moms LOVE to hear stuff like this, and as small as it is, it is a little tick on the “pro” side for UK in the decision-making process.

Again, I’m not saying there isn’t some truth to Cal’s persona, but you’re telling me if the next Lebron James disrespected his mom, Cal would walk out? Hmmm…

• preston
      9:30 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

What makes you think cal would make that up. Its about respect. If you can’t respect your elders or your mother then how would you respect anyone who tries to coach you. Or respect anyone at tye school you so choose. No one wants a head case. And if a player disrepects his mother then he would disrespect anyone. Its about setting examples!!!! Dang yall are stupid!! N how in the world do yall get racism and politics out of a question like that and an answer like that from cal…

• ibescootch
      1:45 am April 16, 2014 Permalink

Umm, I’m not sure where in my statement you read me say Cal made it up. I said it was deliberate. That means that he’s saying it with a very calculated purpose. Not that he made it up!

And racism or politics? Again, didn’t mention any of that…

21. Blue To The Bone...
    2:45 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Cal did a great job on the show and represented his style and the bond he creates with the kids moms and grandmas…He got in all the positives about the guys going pro early , but in the same breath letting Bill know that his kids graduate and even they go on to the pros also…Great job…

22. jeffrey
    3:19 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Bill is a hack, and a bigot, I refuse to give him any views.

• TrueBlue2
      6:18 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

OReilly has the largest audience in cable TV.

I am sure he doesn’t miss the viewership of a person like yourself who appears not to have the mental wherewithal to understand anything more complicated than the Simpsons.

• jeffrey
      11:25 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Nice strawman

23. TrueBlue2
    6:12 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Matt should keep his liberal politics to himself. The liberals he loves so much are the ones that are responsible for giving control of the internet to the United Nations, having the government commit massive spying on law-abiding citizens, and an economy so bad for so long that the norm for college grads is to be relegated to living in their parents basements for the rest of their lives.

If you want to see racism and bigotry, tune in to MSNBC. Al Sharpton and Rachel Madcow are racist to the core.

• Jarvis Redwine
      8:04 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Bush approved bailouts and massive government spying. Got us into a war without cause, also.

Keep your partisan BS to yourself. Mainstream politicians are all hacks.

• asdf
      8:24 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. Bush jumped the shark when he began behaving like a liberal.

• DerbyDemon
      8:27 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Jarvis: The truth makes no difference to these brain-dead morons. It’s called selective memory. They fall in line with the millions of others who worship their “party”. Truth be told, neither party would pi$$ up the asses of these lemmings even if their guts were on fire.

• Zac Brown
      8:51 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

LOL Trueblue2!! Make sure you poor your kool aid into a small glass so you don’t drown yourself in it. How’s the basement?

• Zac Brown
      8:51 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

*pour

24. Mark
    7:05 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Too many “Liberal Haters” making comments about racism based on ZERO evidence and ignorance as to what defines racism. Racist! Really?!? Hey! Calipari went on the most watched cable television show in the world to help sell his book and get into the public eye. He did that and the comments supporting Bill O’Reilly are well deserved. I appreciate those who made them.

25. asdf
    8:20 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

It was a pretty good interview and both O’Reilly and Cal did fine. One thing that anyone who watches “The O’Reilly Factor” regularly knows is that Bill used to be a public school teacher in NYC, so he understands well the difficulties in reaching certain kids, and he was clearly interested in how Cal managed to do it so effectively. It did seem to disappoint Bill that the solution was picking good kids, as he seemed to be looking for an answer that could be applied more broadly in our failing public schools.

26. Barry Soetoro
    8:42 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

You could learn a thing or two from O’Reilly Matt Jones!

27. Marty
    8:44 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

As I wrote another huge check to the government yesterday it dawned on me that guys like O’Reily really need to get their act together as they are wrong and Matt is right. It is a good thing that my wife and I started our own companies, taking all the risk, working 80 hour weeks, taking time away from our kids, creating jobs for others, putting money back in the economy, having to work while we try to take a vacation, so we can subsidize others income while they sit at home and collect welfare, food stamps and free healthcare. Come on O’Reily, get your act together!

BTW – Go CATS. Go Cal.

28. BluKudzu
    9:14 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

There is something inherently wrong in a country which freedom is promised to all citizens, basically has only two political platforms from which to choose. Bottom line, we only support the dividing line between idealism, because we are told to do so.
    Freedom is choice, not selecting from a two party menu is your way to make change.
    Democrats and Republicans will continue the inane rhetoric as long as we let them. If the people continue to give our current elected officials the right to speak for them, you get what you get.
    This year my vote will go to whoever is challenging the incumbent. I am an equal opportunity individual, if my country is suffering due to the idiotic positions being taken by Washington then whoever is there democratic, republican, tea party, socialist, whatever….my vote goes to whoever is on the ballot opposing them.
    Go Cats! Calipari forever, political commentators, Never!

29. jayone
    9:33 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I enjoyed the interview and always enjoy Coach on national TV. He is a great spokesman for our University. He was very smart going on Fox. I don’t agree with O’Reilly 100% because he has that Yankee attitude that is often sickening but he has the ratings and if we want exposure, Coach Cal knows where the viewers are. I know if had gone on MSNBC Matt and his buddies would have been happier but the reality is no one who has any sense of reality watches MSNBC. Al Sharpton should be in the penitentiary for fraud and Chris Matthews is insane and has over used the racist card to a point it means nothing. RACISM is so over used the only people who pay any attention to the word are the racist libs. Good for Coach Cal and I think he sold a lot of books and a lot of people unfamiliar with the University of Kentucky Wildcats are now interested in our basketball program. Good job Coach.

30. HackRichards
    9:39 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Sad part is we have Liberal Lexingtonians who would actually BOO Bill O’Reilly, who happens to be the most successful News Analyst of all time. I am a democrat by the way.

31. Dave
    9:49 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Maybe Matt should take some “Fair and Balanced” tips from O’Reily for the next time he interviews Rex Chapman.

32. MattInHouston
    10:27 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t mind Bill…but why did he automatically assume that our roster is filled with bloods and crips?

33. WildcatFan
    11:07 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I loved the O’Reilly interview. I thought it showed (once again) that Cal can hold his own in virtually ANY situation. I imagine that being a guest on “The Factor” can be quite intimidating, but I thought Cal was able to get his points in and not be talked over by Bill. Tough hot seat to be in, brilliant interview.