@KentuckyMBB

@KentuckyMBB

@KentuckyMBB

Whether it’s adapting to the time or not, there’s no denying that Duke and Coach K have started copying John Calipari’s every move the past few years. While Calipari has addressed the issue indirectly at times this preseason, today, he took it full on, telling reporters that the one-and-done method only became acceptable once Duke did it.

“When did it become okay to do what I’m doing??” Cal asked, to which Jerry Tipton replied, “When Duke did it.”

Cal nodded. “There you go. Then it was okay. I mean, we could sit here — you all know, you’re smiling. But every one of you could, as soon as Duke did it, it was okay. That’s fine for me because here’s what they proved: even Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, you can be about these kids and it be okay and it’s not going to hurt you as a coach, it’s not going to hurt your program. So, I was happy it happened.”

When Jerry asked why he wasn’t afraid to embrace the one-and-done model back in the day, Cal quipped, “Because I’ve been fired before. What are they going to do, fire me?”

Calipari admitted he did feel some relief when his team won the 2012 National Championship because it got the monkey off his back to allow him to do what he loves doing: helping players reach their dreams.

“Understand this, what if we hadn’t won the 2012 National Title and I was doing this? ‘He doesn’t care, care about the program, he’s just trying to’ — whatever you want to say. That’s why, when we won it, my wife came up and I said, ‘Honey, we don’t have to worry about this anymore.’ That was my comment. We don’t have to worry about winning a national title. It’s done. Let’s do what do for kids and if more of these happen, fine, if they don’t happen, fine. It is what it is.”

Calipari wasn’t done yet, aiming his fire at those critics and fans who will never be okay with his players first/NBA approach.

“If you’re about the kids, you’re not making mistakes. If you’re about the organization and the bureaucracy and all that stuff vs. the kids, you’re wrong, you’re wrong every time. So, let’s just stay focused on what we do. You may agree with it, you may not agree with it. I’m transparent about it. If you want to vote for me, vote for me, if you want to vote for her, vote for her, I’m not trying to be anybody different. This is what it is. Some people are happy, we have some, you know, old timers that will never accept what we’re doing, unless it was their grandson, then they’d do backflips and think it was the greatest thing in the world. This is unbelievable! I thought you hated it! I did when it wasn’t my grandson now it’s my grandson, this is unbelievable!”

::Grabs popcorn, waits to see the comments section::

23 Comments for Calipari on Duke copying him and the “old timers” who will never accept the one-and-done method

1. runningunnin.454
    7:55 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Who’s he calling “old timers”?

2. Big Blue Shawn
    8:38 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Translation: he is tired of losing recruits to Puke.

3. UKBlueGreen
    8:30 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Hill Billy, you’re an asshole and troll.
    What fills you with hate and rage? Childish name calling. It’s very scary someone like you could be an adult.

• ukjaybrat
      9:12 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

“Hill Billy, you’re an asshole and troll.”
      “What fills you with hate and rage?”
      “Childish name calling.”

….
      Pot meet kettle ?

• UKBlueGreen
      9:26 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

The only time I called him an asshole is when he slams me with names.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      10:25 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

So, I call out a known anti-UK troll (Big Blue Shawn), and I’M attacked? Who’s side are you on?

• UKBlueGreen
      10:45 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

‘You are falling apart. Crumbling. You’re letting a message board break you down mentally.’

Nice try. I won’t break down, it’ll never happen.

You want to meet up? I’ll give my name if I get yours.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      10:52 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

I’ll call your bluff. You won’t do shit, old man. Do you even have Facebook or twitter?

4. UKBlueGreen
    8:36 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

‘I know. You will hide behind your computer.’

Look who is talking!

‘Don’t worry, we’ll keep calling you out.’

I don’t care, call me out.

• UKBlueGreen
      9:24 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

The only times I’ve called him an asshole is when he personally attacked me.

5. UKBlueGreen
    8:47 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Hill Billy, the reason people choose to be anonymous is because of psychos like you. You’re a head case. Go ahead, you and your troll patrol call me out on something.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      10:46 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Psycho? Head case? Lmao. Wow. You are absolutely falling apart.

I have a wonderful, close knit family. An AWESOME, creative, professional wife. Close childhood friends. We take vacations out of the country. We travel. We hike. We donate to charities, especially during the holidays. I have a great job that allows me to see the entire country and Germany from time to time. All that you said could not be further from the truth. I have a happy, wonderful life and I wouldn’t change one aspect of it.

I just treat UK like it’s my children, and when I see some dolt, such as yourself, spew some nonsense, hate on, or blatantly lie about, I take offense to it.

So, that being said, and regarding your recent comments and how much it has obviously affected you, I think it might be you who is the psycho head case.

6. UKBlueGreen
    10:48 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

‘Now please, any more info on the status of the Gucci blazer, since you know he or his family didn’t pay for it?’

Now please, give me your name and you’ll get mine. Let’s meet Hill Billy. Let’s see who falls apart.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      10:53 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Lmao. That’s ALL you took from my comment? You are truly a slack jawed booger eating moron, aren’t you?

7. The REAL Billy Hill
    10:51 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

You go first.

8. UKBlueGreen
    10:59 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

That’s what I thought. You just want to run your mouth and degrade people.

9. The REAL Billy Hill
    11:00 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Go first. You’re the one who wants to meet, have the balls to drop your name first. P*ssy. I knew you were a p*ssy.

10. The REAL Billy Hill
    11:00 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Facebook? Twitter? Nothing? Anything?

11. The REAL Billy Hill
    11:08 am October 20, 2016 Permalink

Cmon tough guy!!! Give me something to go on!!

12. EdC
    1:36 pm October 20, 2016 Permalink

You two should really just admit your love for each other and get a room.