Calipari: Nick Richards “was unbelievable” vs. Georgia

Over the past few weeks, John Calipari has insisted that Nick Richards is the key to Kentucky becoming a championship caliber squad; tonight, we saw why.

The sophomore big man finished with four points, seven rebounds and three blocks in 15 minutes, which may not sound like the best stat line in the world, but his impact went beyond the box score. After Kentucky’s starters allowed Georgia to own the middle with five dunks in the first six minutes, Nick came in and helped reestablish Kentucky’s post presence, blocking three shots and drawing two charges. Calipari was pleased…mostly.

“The only thing he did one time, he left the basket to go block a shot he had no chance of getting that opened up the rim for a tip in. We don’t want him doing that. We want him around the goal, and if the guy puts his head down and keeps coming, take the charge. But, we’ve been working on charging and loose balls every day for the last ten days because three games prior to this, I don’t think we took a charge.”

As has been the case his entire career, Nick’s issue is confidence. Performances like this one will go a long way to helping him bust out of his shell.

“I’ve got — I’ll give you an example. Nick Richards, who was unbelievable today. We’ve got guys who are too — there’s some anxiety, they’re pressing personally. ‘I’ve gotta have, I’ve gotta play, if I don’t take –‘ Well, then you can’t play. Nick led the troops with that, that anxiety, that pressure. Pressing himself. He just played today. Now, he scored four points but it doesn’t matter. Anybody would want him on their team.”

Maybe he should start. Just saying.

[mobile_ad]

15 Comments for Calipari: Nick Richards “was unbelievable” vs. Georgia

1. cking
    10:29 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Still waiting on Still BP to add some value to this site…

Still waiting

• bigbluebanana
      11:21 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Says the guy who comments first to call out some random dude.

• J-Dub421
      11:54 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Still BP is 1000x better than you are.

• henderblue
      7:33 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Still waiting for cking to add value to this site, by leaving it…BP adds much more value than you. That’s a fact

2. a21CATSfan
    10:41 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m starting to like 4th Semester Nick Richards. Cal has to find a combination of bigs besides Washington/Travis and Richards/Montgomery. PJ and Reid, as well as Nick and EJ are too much alike. A rim protector must be on the floor at all times, or teams may get 6 dunks in a row like Georgia did tonight. CATS

• IrishCat
      10:50 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

I agree about mixing up those two groups. I like Reid w/ EJ and PJ w/ Nick.

3. davis2319
    10:55 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it, but our most effective lineup tonight was Hagans, Baker, Herro, Richards, and Montgomery. A lineup that really can spread the floor on offense. Just let Hagans drive and lay it in/draw a foul/lob to Richards/Montgomery, or drive and kick it to Baker/Herro. Interesting lineup but very effective. PJ and Reid are not bringing much right now. Love Reid to death but I’ve never watched a big man get blocked so many times. He has to lead the country in shot attempts blocked.

• michaelb
      11:47 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Yea buddy , the offense running thru Ashton’s hands is one that can take us all the way . There’s so many good things that come from it. There was stuff I didn’t see as a spectator go down tonight – liked what I saw

• J-Dub421
      11:56 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Quickley brings a lot to the table as well.

• UKfanman01
      5:18 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Richards has shown flashes of greatness. Montgomery has yet to have the chance to prove himself. My opinion is that UGA bigs were long and gave PJ and Travis troubles. PJ is short for his position and Travis isnt athletic. Their bugs also weren’t big enough to push around Richards or Montgomery, so they didn’t get bullied in the low post. Best match up possible for these two players to shine. Glad they seized their opportunity

• JusSayin
      10:05 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

PJ hit most of the shots he took last night. Reid Travis was the liability.

4. michaelb
    11:44 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Ky jelly roll. Our boy got up like we thought he would . We knew his capability . Glad to see him play with such effort and fire & efficiency. He can be exactly what marques bolden is for Duke if not better .

5. BallDontLie
    6:17 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Why should he start? Guy just starts to feel comfortable in his role off the bench so he needs to start now? The bench role is why he is succeeding. Give him a couple things to do, block shots, take charges, rebound and bring energy. For a player who hasnt found a way to be consistent up to this point, coming off the bench is the best thing for him.

6. Wildcat_blues1029
    7:58 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Does it feel like at times Cal is saving the lineups with Nick in with PJ/Reid for later in the year? The development of Nick has been amazing as the season continues to go along

7. Wade
    10:40 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Get nick 5 more minutes and 5 more shot attempts from 10 ft in and we’ve got something! He needs to start these games! If he does I highly doubt ga starts with 6 fn dunks in a row! Hagans quickley herro pj/keldon not sure yet and nick. Have Reid ej and baker coming off the bench! That’s a 9 man rotation and no need to have spells where we are inactive. Hagans is becoming legit if his set shot from 3 can be decent that’s going to pay off come tourney time! Time for pj and keldon to work and herro is way underrated if his 3 gets around 40% like it should that guy is a poy candidate!