Calipari never thought his team would lose to Wisconsin

Calpostgame

This post might be a little hard to read for some, I know it was hard to write.

When John Calipari was in Indianapolis on Friday, he told a group of high school basketball coaches that he thought his team would finish the season undefeated and find a way to beat Wisconsin.

“You know, it never entered my mind that we were going to lose,” Calipari told The Associated Press as he walked out of the high school gym. “When we were up four with five minutes to go, I thought it was over. Even when Wisconsin made that run, I thought we’d figure it out. We never, in my time at Kentucky, we just don’t lose that game.”

Calipari opens up about the game and the season in an article from The Associated Press. Reading the article might help in the continuing healing process a lot of you are still encountering.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

12 Comments for Calipari never thought his team would lose to Wisconsin

1. Rixter
    11:37 am April 26, 2015 Permalink

For 3 weeks, I’ve been looking for more salt to rub into this wound. Thanks.

2. satcheluk
    11:44 am April 26, 2015 Permalink

I’ve moved on. Ready for some football!

3. msnthrop
    12:51 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

Hubris always leads to nemesis.

4. cats42301
    1:42 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

I wish he’d just accept most (not all I realize)of the responsibility by trying to burn clock with 7 mins to go and only a 4 point lead that lead to 3 straight shot clock violations, all this after we had finally found an offensive rhythm of sorts.But he’d just rather make comments like this.Had we not tried to burn clock I think we win by 7-10 points. Call me crazy.

• DT in DC
      2:18 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

Those shot clock violations still haunt me.

5. BeastCat
    2:09 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

I still can’t even talk about it……..The best team didn’t win the championship.

• WeareBBN
      3:57 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

best team seldom wins it all in college basketball. That is why the tourney is the greatest sporting event in the world, IMO.

6. VirginiaCat
    2:37 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

This was not the first time that we lost when we had the best talent in the country. It not the first time that we lost when we were heavily favored to win the title. Cal has been in the Final Four numerous times and has won the title 16% of the time. When it’s crunch time, it’s the little things that make a difference. Like calling a time out to get your team settled late in the game, rather than wasting three possessions when the game was in the balance. Or calling a play to get a shooter open for a clean look rather than forcing the ball inside to Towns. If the shot missed, at least we would have had a chance to rebound and jam it home. Or sticking with WCS when it was obvious that he had again reverted to form and was essentially an empty uniform during a critical game. Perhaps we didn’t have great alternatives to WCS, but it wouldn’t have been too hard to exceed his productioin of 2 points and 5 rebounds. Yes, it is easy to be critical when looking backward, but certain patterns become discernable over time. Chief among them is a seeming inability to make adjustments in critical game situations. He lost a national title at Memphis that was all but won and he lost semi-final games to West Virginia and UConn when we had the superior talent on the floor. We were the overwhelming favorite this year, but failed to close the deal. I love having Cal at Kentucky and hope he stays for a long time, but I hope that he takes the time to understand why we lost to Wisconsin and not dismiss it as simply a fluke or bad luck. If Cal can raise his coaching acumen to match his recruiting skills, Kentucky will be unstoppable.

• catdaddyd
      4:55 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

Lost to WVU in Elite Eight not semi finals.

• 25OR624
      8:11 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

It is like he is wearing depends – and has brain freeze cognitive IQ diarhea – in tight games. Love CAL. And what he has done. Don’t like what he has not been able to finish. CAL has repeatedly proven he can’t handle the big games. Which is why I had no faith following the UND win. He was lucky Kansas ‘ran out of time’.

7. mikeintn
    5:03 pm April 26, 2015 Permalink

VirginiaCat I couldnt agree more, very well said.

8. mostdiggity
    10:29 am April 27, 2015 Permalink

Here’s a different take on things which you may or may not have heard yet: