Calipari made his team study all 17 of their turnovers from Saturday

Kansas-4578

One of the most troubling stats from Saturday’s loss was the number of turnovers. Kentucky turned the ball over 17 times, which tied a season high and led to 21 points for the Jayhawks. This afternoon, John Calipari told reporters that he made his team sit down and review all 17 of those turnovers, which he attributed to “casual play.”

“Casual play. I showed them all 17. We went through all 17 because it was necessary. Aggressive turnovers don’t lead to baskets on the other end. The casual turnovers, ‘You’re just dribbling across and you lose it? What happened, did he grab you?’ ‘Nah, just kind of got away from me.’ ‘Excuse me?’ That’s the casual — the look away pass to the wing when you didn’t have to.”

Unfortunately, Saturday’s sloppy play wasn’t just a blip on the radar. In the past five games, Kentucky’s averaging 15.4 turnovers, which is way up from their season average of 11.8. All part of the process with a young team, said Cal.

“This is all stuff that when you’re coaching young kids, that you have to go through. And you’ve got to reinforce and — we went back to some of our older defensive drills just to get them in a different mindset.”

Calipari said after reviewing the tape, he has faith that his team’s issues are fixable.

All this stuff is fixable. I’ve got a terrific team. I’ve still got the same guys that, had we won two games, we’d still get votes for number one,” Cal said. “I am not panicked. I wanted to win – you all know me well enough – I’m fighting throughout the game. I walked away after watching the tape, and okay, this stuff is all fixable.”

Cal’s so focused on fixing the mistakes that he cut his presser short, telling reporters, “Alright, let me go practice. I’ve got to go practice, guys.”

15 Comments for Calipari made his team study all 17 of their turnovers from Saturday

1. LouisaCatFan
    3:54 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

Cal should watch how many times a game he throws a tantrum on the sideline. Or watch tape on how to coach against/play a zone defense!

2. ncaa is in on it
    3:55 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

I just wish Cal would make some defensive adjustments instead of watching our players get caught on low screens every time we lose. Press or zone or trap just do or try something. You know the other team practiced for a week getting ready for us (why do we have trouble against the same coaches? bc we dont make defensive adjustments!) If UK is down 5 points with under 10 mins. left its over,you cant make a comeback when the other team keys in on willis or briscoe. Lets hope we dont draw WV again in tourney.

3. Sentient Third Eye
    4:05 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

While we were pathetic against the zone, but without the unforced turnovers, it would not have been nearly so bad.

4. bosshogg24
    4:05 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

Cal and his assistants have 24 hours to learn how to attack a 2-3 zone, it is coming tomorrow!

• taylorsvillecat
      4:27 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

And the next game, and the next game, until we figure it out.

• THE William Hill
      10:14 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

How many Final Fours and National Tiles do you two have? What wing of the Hall of Fame are you two located in? I’ll wait…

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:25 am January 31, 2017 Permalink

It doesn’t take a National Title or to be a Hall of Fame coach…or a coach at all to know that opponents will play zone against us if we don’t know how to play against it.

5. KYcats11
    4:43 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

I think a zone might work well for us. But the reason he won’t do it is because they don’t play zone in the nba and he’s trying to prepare them for the league. While I would prefer having wins and championships over 80 players drafted. I still love cal, and think this team is special.

6. maximumscott
    7:18 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

Well at least we know the weaknesses now. I mean we are a good month and a half away from when it really counts. We got the talent. Most of Cals teams typical hit a bump or few in the road this time of the year. Exceptionof a couple. The stages of team development. They are coming together. Slowly different players are playing better while others play poorly. It will come together soon dont worry. If anyone

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:29 am January 31, 2017 Permalink

No one is playing well consistently and there doesn’t seem to be a learning curve to anyone’s play except Bam’s…possibly Gabriel’s. If this team clicks and four guys play great per night then watch out…but I don’t know that is going to happen yet. I’m also pretty disappointed in our bench…I thought they would be much better than they have been.

7. maximumscott
    7:19 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

If anyone should worry it should be me! I bought FF tix already to the tune of 1800!!!!

8. Luether
    8:53 pm January 30, 2017 Permalink

At least some of the turnovers can be directly attributed to Cal’s hysterical rantings on the sidelines. They are both distracting and unhelpful to his young players…