Calipari made his pitch, now he’s off to the draft

John Calipari said all he needed to say to Kerry Blackshear Jr. and now he is off to the NBA Draft.

Video of Cal walking toward his private jet like a boss popped up on the UK basketball program’s social media accounts late Wednesday afternoon.

Here are two positive ways to look at this. We’ll ignore any negative ones. And yes, we are over-analyzing.

(1) Would Cal leave for the draft without having already locked down a commitment from Blackshear? You’d think he’d hang around Lexington until he is certain he is in a good spot. After all, this is a HUGE official visit.

Or (2) Maybe he made a power move exit to complete his pitch. “Hey kid, I got three first-rounders tomorrow night and I have to be there for them. I do this every year.” How’s that for a way to say goodbye to a guy looking for his best path to the NBA?

One more thing, and I can’t be alone on this: I definitely tried to break down the pep in his step to see if it’s a swaggy walk like he just got a commitment.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Calipari made his pitch, now he’s off to the draft

1. VirginiaCat
    5:45 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

…or it may be that attending the draft is a higher priority for him.

• nocode96
      5:57 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

You like being Debbie Downer all the time? Or just when you post here? Cause I’d hate to be that negative all the time.

• 4everUKblue
      6:07 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

I would expect no less for VACat.

• calcat
      6:26 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah. Because kids achieving their dreams is a bad thing.

• dcforuk
      7:54 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

It is a priority for him. And, there is no reason to be ashamed of that. He cares about these kids not to mention it is marketing for UK basketball. Would I have liked an EE win in 2017 and 2019? Yep. Am I still supportive of him at UK? Yep! There are plenty of folks against him that also probably loved new coke until it came out. A classic becomes a classic when “you don’t know what you got till it’s gone!”

• Robinson73
      9:59 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

When will we know for sure? I don’t think Cal would have left without an answer.#9 #BBN

2. NashCat
    5:50 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s great that Blackshear already hates Duke.

3. TOMCATS1990
    5:51 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

Trust CAL he will seal the deal

4. KYjellyRoll
    5:52 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

I know that walk… blackshear is a wildcat folks. I don’t see cal just taking off without some news

5. KYjellyRoll
    5:53 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

I was also analyzing his walk lol. And number 2 sounds like it could be the way it went down. Good job

6. BLUEVADER
    6:02 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s Swaggy Cal! DAMN STRAIGHT HELL YEAH!

7. Smyrna_Cat
    6:04 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

Facts are indeed optional.

8. Bluebloodtoo
    6:17 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

I like to think that first conversation with blackshear went like this:
    Blackshear: Coach, i want to come to Kentucky for my last year.
    Cal: we’d love to have you, but are you sure? You know Kentucky isn’t for everyone…?
    Blackshear: I’m pretty sure…
    Cal: ok, but you should look at some other schools to make sure you are making the best decision for you. Why don’t you do that? Go see the other options on your list, then come visit Lexington if you are still interested after that and we’ll put the paperwork together.
    A few visits later….
    Blackshear: ok coach, I’m ready to come see Lexington and do some paperwork…..

9. mashman 93
    6:57 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

We know national titles are damn hard to win,but if we get Blackshear is it final four or bust? Title or bust? I know what our expectations are every year. If we don’t end up in final four is it failure? Sorry about saying “we” so much it’s in my blood. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

• StuckinLville
      7:39 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

If we get him and dont win it with this mix of veterans and freshmen, we just arent ever winning again. This team will not have any weakness. It’s title or bust.

• mashman 93
      7:58 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

Agreed

10. dctawk
    8:41 pm June 19, 2019 Permalink

Everyone knows the draft is his 2nd priority to developing the players who make it there. He said that day one. Accept it or not, it is what has made UK the most dominant team in one decade since ucla.

11. ColbyKiller
    2:18 pm June 20, 2019 Permalink

You want to talk about over analyzing his walk? I counted his steps in the video. All 9 of them.