Calipari listed as potential replacement for Coach K on Team USA

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty

When the news broke yesterday that Mike Kryzelkjrq;ewoi was stepping down as head coach of Team USA after the 2016 Summer Olympics, lists of potential replacements started popping up across the web. The Sporting News’ Sean Deveney got in on the fun this morning, listing ten candidates for the job. Of course, John Calipari was one of them.

“There’s some question about whether Calipari, who has gotten accustomed to running his own show, could take a back seat to the measured process Colangelo has set up to develop a roster and system for Team USA. But Calipari has the experience of coaching the Dominican Republic national team behind him and is well-known and respected among NBA players.”

Given the number of Calipari’s former players in the league (three of which have participated in Team USA training camp), his reputation as a players’ coach, and friendship with Jerry Colangelo, I think he has to be one of the top three candidates.

Who else was on Deveny’s list? Doc Rivers, Sean Miller, Gregg Popovich, Doug Collins, Billy Donovan, Tom Izzo, Mike D’Antoni, Monty Williams, and Brad Stevens. Check out his reasoning at TheSportingNews.com.

11 Comments for Calipari listed as potential replacement for Coach K on Team USA

1. The Loco Pollo
    12:21 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

From that list, the only ones I could see in the position in addition to Cal are Donovan, Izzo, D’Antoni & Stevens. I’ll admit I don’t know enough about Monty Williams to really have an opinion, but if his relationship with AD is a good one, that will go a long way. I gotta think Stevens will play some sort of role, and likely be a longer term coach down the road.

Additionally, it’s 2015 so I refuse to click through a slideshow to read what should be an article. It’s very JV for SportingNews to not have a “view as one page” option.

2. Sandwich
    12:45 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

At least we know Boogie and J-Wall will make the cut. No more Plumlees!!!!

3. Dude
    12:47 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I think Popp and Doc Rivers probably lead the bunch, followed by Cal and Doug Collins. Just my opinion.

4. Dude
    12:55 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Cal has to be at the top of the list. Popovich would be a good candidate but probably won’t be selected because of his age. I would put Izzo, Rivers, and Stevens up there. Stevens is a bit wet behind the ears, but he’ll probably get a shot at some point in the future. But then again, what do I know?

5. Mixxy
    1:07 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If Cal gets picked, expect the NCAA to pass a rule against college coaches also coaching team USA because of the recruiting advantage.

6. Tony 2 Times
    1:18 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

I would have to think that Doc Rivers would be the number 1 replacement. His players really like him from what I’ve heard, and he’s managed stars at Boston and now at LA, and got everyone to come together from what I’ve seen. Plus, it fits the politically correct agenda have a minority head coaching the team for the first time. Write it down, Doc will be the coach.

• WTF
      1:30 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

If he’s picked it is because he is a good coach. He does have a championship at the highest level and might get one in LA as well. What does it matter if hes black or white? If you can coach you can coach.

• Red rocket
      1:59 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Race plays a huge roll in everything now. Let’s face it, there is more money in reporting the first minority coach of team USA than there is reporting Cal got the job. Race issues are a multibillion dollar industry pushed by the liberal agenda. It wouldn’t surprise me if the head line reads “doc gets the job, pop is a Bigot.”

7. leon singleton
    2:52 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Cal needs to take the Louisville job and rebuild it back. Then Kentucky and Louisville fans can be friends.

8. Austin
    3:02 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Pop should get the job for a year with Brad Stevens as the next coach in waiting. I would love to see Coach Cal as an assistant with that bunch that can help recruit his former players to participate.

9. KedDuke Blue
    8:07 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Why tf would they even consider this unpredickable asshole, things will not be the same w/ coach k I won’t be watching if this slick ass silverfox gets chosen, sure hope he doesn’t.