Calipari: Lifetime contract has been in the works for months

John Calipari’s lifetime contract at Kentucky has been the talk of college basketball the past few days, so this morning, Cal did what Cal does best and took the narrative into his own hands. Cal called into ESPN’s “Get Up” — the same program that used a graphic asking whether or not his job was in jeopardy on Monday — to talk about the contract, which he said has been in the works for months.

“What happened was, the school had been talking to me a while about this. It’s amazing — no one has seen the contract and some people lose their minds. No one’s even seen it yet. How do you know what it says? I’m not going to coach until I’m 90. They want me to end my career at Kentucky and they talked about it for months.

“What ended up happening, they know at the end of every year, people are trying to talk to me and this and this and this and they just said, let’s do this. And so what it basically does is give me the opportunity to end my career at Kentucky which I want and which is what they want.”

It wouldn’t be a Calipari interview without him addressing his haters and also claiming he never reads their work.

“There are people that, I don’t know if it’s their opinion or their hope but they get mad and it’s like, why are you mad?” Cal said. “What does this make you mad about? Our fans are happy, our administration is happy, I’m happy, so I really that’s all it’s about. Let me say this: a lifetime contract, sometimes they declare you dead in three years, so you never know how this stuff goes.”

LOL.

“I don’t deal with all that stuff. I really don’t. I said some stuff today only because this morning, I said, before I go on there, what was the blowback? And then the guys said, well, there was a couple of guys saying stuff. And I said, for what? What would they have a problem for? ‘Well, you know. You know why.’ The agenda, Jalen, in this, the agenda stuff, of being about someone else and not about this, it is what it is. And here’s the other thing with the media, and you know this, if there is good stuff, someone has to write bad stuff. That’s how it is. And so, I usually accept it. And I’m not being defensive. And if I am appearing that way, it’s really not because I haven’t read anything or seen anything.”

Sure, sure. Calipari also talked about his team, once again raving about their character and work ethic.

“This team kept me young. I loved coaching this team. That’s the disappointment of not having two more games. This team was a ball to coach. And I may have had more talented teams, but I didn’t have a team that collectively were in the gym, gym rats, loved it, loved the learning, loved the coaching, loved the competitiveness of practice. This was an unbelievable crew. And I’m telling you, I don’t care where they’re rated or the draft boards, this group of kids will make it in that league and have long careers because they’re into the game. They love playing. They have a good feel. They’re just physically — and maybe again they have to master their craft a little more. They’re not — they’re really good athletes, but they’re not this guy — but I’m telling you, this crew of guys, PJ [Washington] helped himself and Reid [Travis] is going to make someone a good teammate. He’s going to be unbelievable on someone’s team. And the other kids that decide to guy, they’re going to be good too.”

Get ready for a lot of that talk over the next two months.

[mobile_ad]

24 Comments for Calipari: Lifetime contract has been in the works for months

1. Bobbum Man
    12:23 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Brad should be ready to take over by then… imagine the wardrobes we’d get to see on the sideline

2. KYCat4EVER
    12:57 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Not surprised at all! Mitch Barnhart is in a job way over his head.. and he KNOWS IT!

The last thing Mitch wants to do is fire the head basketball coach or hire a basketball coach at UK! Even Tubby Smith ran away to Minnesota because he knew the “gig was up at UK” while Barnhart had no spine to fire him!

We all know how Tubby faired elsewhere!

Of course… when Stoops was stupidly rumored to be headed to Michigan , Barnhart stupidly bought the rumor and gave Stoops a raise!

SO… remember… as long as Calipari is our head coach we will NOT win another NCAA Basketball Championship … and you can hang that around Mitch Barnharts neck!

GO BIG BLUE!

• 1kyblue
      1:20 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Where to begin. Oh, just not worth it, some idiocies are just that.

• bigbluenationmbb
      1:58 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Who should we hire than if your such an expert! Your an idiot

• 2kittle
      2:00 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Logged in because I am sick to death of these bandwagon Kentucky fans.

Has everyone truly forgot where we were 12 years ago? How about 5 years beyond that? Losing to gardner webb and VMI. Not making a final four in YEARS. I am sick of every spineless dweeb who hawks these posts to talk down about the state of our program, knowing damn well that 400 other schools in D1 would trade places with us at any time. “Calipari only has 1 title in 10 years”. Coach K has 5 in 40 years which 1.25 every ten. IT’S HARD TO WIN A TITLE. Especially when you have a single elimination tournament. We are the best program of all time with the most ungrateful fan base (Not all of them, but the basement dweller bandwagoners). Calipari is going to retire one day, and we will look back on his tenure and wish he would come back out of retirement. Write it down.

• 4everUKblue
      3:07 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

KYCat is not a Kentucky fan, he’s the fan of a great coach who’s been dead for decades. He is also a complete idiot, his comments are not even worth reading, his posts are infantile at best.

• ClutchCargo
      4:03 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Mitch is in over his head and is afraid to fire Cal because then he would have to find a good coach to replace him (Cal actually sucks at coaching basketball, but has managed to distract the fans from this fact with his 81% winning percentage at UK). Cleverly, Barnhart covers his own ass by giving Cal a long-term contract that will allow him to coach here as long as he wants. Got it.

• TB112162
      4:22 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

This quote fits you perfect KYCat4EVER .It is better to remain silent and thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt .you are a clown

• catsarerunnin
      5:00 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Dbag forever is insane.

• dballrb
      10:36 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Dumbass,Tubby got ran out of town. Stupid ass people putting for sale signs in his yard…Let’s not forget the racist ass shit also..Tubby can X&O with the best of them. Tubby recruited Character over talent. he gave ass wipe Curruth a 3rd chance and he really F’ed up…Tubby quits,here comes billy..lol.Go back to Indiana!!!

• dballrb
      10:38 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

P.S ..Stoops foolishly won the Citrus bowl.Fire Bob now!!!!! T-bagged again!!!

• AssistantCouchCoach
      11:29 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

“Your an idiot” is literally my favorite internet quote. Gets me every time

3. VirginiaCat
    2:24 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

BigBlue: I don’t know how you can credibly call anyone an idiot when you use the word “your” instead of “you’re.” As to substance, I don’t think there is anyone better suited to being the face of Kentucky basketball than Cal. I would give him an A+ in that department. I would also say that there aren’t many coaches who could endure the pressure that comes with the job. Another A+. He is still an excellent recruiter despite the fact that he has lost ground in recent years. I would give him an A-. Cal’s player development skills earn him a B. His commitment to the players is another A, although it sometimes disadvantages the program. Cal’s in-game coaching is spotty, particularly in critical games, and I think it is fair to say that his shortcomings have potentially cost Kentucky three championships. I would give him a C rating. There are zero coaches who would score an A in all departments, so it is a pick-your- poison proposition. The fan base has to decide for itself if this is the skills mix that is right for the program.

• mashburnfan1
      3:08 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Well put and kind of what I have said all along, and I also get bashed for it Virginia. I do hope the one and done rule change will help Cal and UK. I always laugh when they say Cal puts people in the NBA. NO, he recruited NBA players. Just like Coach Kryswbwftndfmoeyski this year, he did not put RJ or Zion anywhere, he recruited NBA players. Cal did nothing to improve any of the FR this year, all players will naturally get a little better with time and practice. If it was just Cal and his ability what happen to Skal, POY, Twins, Archie, Gabriel, Briscoe, Monk, Richards to name a few. Yes he had AD, Wall, Cousins, KAT etc but they were all top picks right from High School. All the others mentioned, and more, lost ground in their draft status after playing for Cal 1-3 years. No coach develops these kids in the 8 months they have these one and done guys.

• Soylentbeans
      6:07 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Except all those players credit cal with getting them NBA ready. But let’s not let something like a player saying something dictate your narrative. As far as the others you cant expect him to be 100% on player development. plus some players games just dont translate to college and further to the NBA. We saw this long before cal and it will be here long after he is gone. Also I think WCS and PJ would disagree that staying a couple years didnt help them.

• Soylentbeans
      6:10 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Poythress and Terrance Jones also improved by staying longer. Darius Miller probably wouldn’t be where he is now w/o cal coming to town. These guys to a lesser extent but still improved.

• Kyceltsfan
      5:21 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

I agree with you, I think you can throw Patrick Patterson in there too as an improved player by Cal. A guy that wasnt even “his” to begin with.

• timbo
      6:09 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Those guys are, or were, all in the NBA, doofy. Every. Single. One. Except Richards, who obviously has a team in Div. 1. What kind of idiot uses a list of current and former professionals to try to make a point that none are/we’re good enough to be professional???

• 4everUKblue
      3:09 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

VaCat is another fence straddling idiot!

• 4everUKblue
      3:15 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

MashbumKfanboy is a huge waste of human flesh, but there was no waste of brains on him.

• catsarerunnin
      5:01 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Virginny and Bashburn appear to be spooning.

4. KatFan48
    2:36 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

Can’t help feeling sorry for you Virginia. Real UK fans asked the man in the red suit for an early Christmas. Look what we have. Best coach for lifetime. Hope you will ask old St Nick for another team to troll and take your misery elsewhere. YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS

5. 4everUKblue
    3:12 pm April 3, 2019 Permalink

We have the best coach in the country and the fact that it makes all the Cal haters miserable gives me so much pleasure. Hahaha