Calipari: Kentucky has backup plan if Louisville doesn’t want to play

If Louisville decides not to play the Kentucky game this season, John Calipari has a backup plan. On a Zoom with reporters this morning, Calipari said that the date and time for the rivalry game is set, but Kentucky has another opponent waiting in the wings should Chris Mack and the Cardinals opt out.

“I know there was a question on the Louisville game but we have a date and a time unless that changes, if they choose not to play and we’ll plug in another team. We already have that team set.”

“You guys know I like to be ahead of this. You’re not going to throw the fire hose at me and it’s hitting me in the nose and mouth and I’m trying to figure out a schedule. I’m not going to do that. So we kind of knew, we’re going to have some home games with no fans, which is crap but we’ve got no choice. We’re also going on the road a couple of times without fans which isn’t fair to them, but there’s no competitive equity. It is what it is.”

Last week, Mack and Calipari went back and forth over the Kentucky/Louisville game, with Mack suggesting there is no equity in playing it at the Yum Center this year if there are limited or no fans allowed in, and Calipari insisting that it should be played because there is no equity at all in college basketball this year due to the pandemic. Cal doubled down on that this morning, pointing out that there’s no guarantee that the game can be held with fans next year at Rupp.

“I’m not going to tell you what they’re thinking or what they’re doing,” Cal said of Louisville. “I just know the terms of the contract. We go there and they come here next year. Does anybody really know what this virus is going to do? What if we’re in next year and we’re in the same boat? Then we’ve got them at home with no fans. We don’t know. This virus is running us. We are not running this virus. You’d have to talk to them.

“My hope is we’re playing the game this year but we’re prepared if not. I’m not going to wait and they tell me no. Boom, they say no. Bang, we’ve got another home and home. Here it is. The people want to play us. They want to beat Kentucky. They want to go against [us]. I think that game is good for our state. It should be played but I’m running Kentucky’s program. That’s what I do. I’m not telling any other program what they should and should not do.”

Well, at KSR, we can. Cardinals are looking more and more like chickens every day.

10 Comments for Calipari: Kentucky has backup plan if Louisville doesn’t want to play

1. ukkatzfan
    12:19 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

How about a weekend tourney or round robin between 4 teams. IU, U6, WK and throw in Iona as the fourth team. They could call it the “WannabeS UK IT”.

• Bluehender
      2:27 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

No way..

2. CatfaninCinci
    12:19 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

Cmon Mack. Don’t end one of the most storied rivalries in college basketball due to fear. You’re scared. It’s ok. Own your fear. Face your fear. Because the only way to dispose of that fear is to realize you’re 2nd in this state. You always will be. Own it. Don’t be afraid of it.

• ukkatzfan
      12:27 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

Hahahahaha. Maybe they are not afraid of second. Maybe they are afraid of Western and 3rd in the state. Bwahahahaha.

3. jblanton
    12:21 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

Im sure the backup team will be the likes of some non exciting team such as Toledo or Akron.

• SuperTroy18
      12:31 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

I bet it’s Travis Ford and St. Louis or another team with a UK tie that is smaller in stature. He probably wants the automatic win, but to help out a former Cat or Cal guy.

• WILDCATS1968
      3:54 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

No he said a home and home. it will be a fairly big school. We are not playing in a MAC conference gym. I would like to think someone like a Texas, USC, UCONN, Baylor etc. Somewhere that Cal can use to recruit. Just a guess.

4. runningunnin.454
    1:08 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

Mack is a wuss; if he cancels the game, Cal’s response should be to give UL the IU treatment; “Quoth the Raven, ‘NEVERMORE’.

• ClutchCargo
      1:59 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

Completely agree. I’m embarrassed for our little brother that this is even being discussed. If they don’t want to play this year, to hell with them next year and beyond. That is, if they even get to play basketball after the NCAA fries them up extra crispy.

5. Bluenblood
    7:32 pm September 29, 2020 Permalink

Thought more of Mack until now….the UL slime has infected him too!!! For normal non UL psychos just play the game, get yur ass kicked, then play again in Rupp before 23,000….. rinse repeat. Welcome to UL coach!!!