Calipari jokes he wants to skip the SEC Tournament

John Calipari has never been a fan of the SEC Tournament, and after a hard-fought win on the road in Starkville, he joked that he just wants to skip this year’s event altogether.

“I was thinking about this as I was changing: what about this tournament we’ve got in Nashville? I don’t know — maybe we won’t show. Why even go and get the — just beat up? It doesn’t matter who you play, everybody is going to be good. And it’s going to be war, war, war. Or war, one war, or two wars. And then you’ve got to go to the NCAA Tournament because all those teams that are playing after that first round are all in. They’re going to be in that tournament.”

Eight SEC teams made the tournament last year. Tennessee and Kentucky were the only two in the top 16 the NCAA revealed today, but Jerry Palm had six more SEC teams in his latest Bracketology.

Cal said there’s no doubt the competition makes his squad better, but hopes he doesn’t have to run into Ben Howland’s group in Nashville.

“I’m glad we’re done with them. I hope we don’t have to see them in the tournament, to be honest.”

[mobile_ad]

26 Comments for Calipari jokes he wants to skip the SEC Tournament

1. michaelb
    5:44 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Cal doesn’t like the league tourney , but all the fans do. Despite what he thinks or says , I think it’s a good Lil practice run of a tourney situation that we kinda need since our guys are perpetually ‘young’ every year . Plus, I’m on the side of … ( I know this sounds weird or backwards ) we need a humbling loss right before the NCAA tourney . It let’s our guys get a taste of that before we start trying to win several in a row . We all know that winning a bunch of games in a row puts our guys on a cloud & after a while they start feeling invincible and unbeatable . It leads to complacency no matter who you are . This team feels special to me – I just think we are so versatile & can be teams that are strong in the paint and teams that are perimeter oriented, also also we can run with the best of them . They just seemed to grow up very quickly and have tightened their game up . Seems like we’re going to the title game at least in my opinion .

• catsarerunnin
      5:59 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I love going to the SEC tourney and when I go I want the Cats to win but it doesn’t help them at all as far as the Big Dance. Even winning the SEC seldom improves their seeding and I always worry about injuries. But the SEC is always a party regardless of where it’s held and that’s because Kentucky fans are the best.

• michaelb
      7:48 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

There’s no other single elimination battle for our guys so yes it would have to help them get ready just by default sir

2. bigblue98
    5:51 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Know they can’t change for this year, but would be nice if they moved sec tournament up a day, with championship on Saturday. Would give more rest before ncaa tournament begins.

• Aar
      6:12 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

It would also make sense for there to be a rest day between at least the last three rounds. In addition to helping the SEC teams prepare for the every other day cadence of the big dance, Nashville businesses would love it.

• Skooms
      7:59 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

That’s one of the reasons Cal hates the SEC Tourney. Committee minds are usually made up before the final game. They’ve admitted to this.

3. KYjellyRoll
    5:58 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

They’ve had their humbling losses in Seton Hall and Alabama. They don’t want anymore of them losses. Win out

• Aar
      6:15 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I see two more losses this season – at Rocky Top and in the SEC tourney finals. Those losses will help with the humility to keep them hungry for big dance success. They also will not hurt seeding.

• JASUN74
      4:25 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

Exactly right jelly roll. I mean we got humble pie the first game of the season so I believe we’re good on the losses. Haha. You never ever want to ever lose a game !! Ever!! It never helped anyone to lose it only made them a loser for that game. I know there’s instances of us losing a game and going on to win, blah , blah, blah. Hell no! You try to Win every game you play! Period!! That’s the stupidest shit I ever heard is, we need to lose to help us!! Whoever believes that has never played basketball and don’t try to tell me you did because you’re lying. Maybe you rode the bench and wasn’t a real part of the team. Anyway, losers are just that , losers, winners WIN!!

4. shelby
    7:02 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

I see no use for the tourney; risking injury playing multiple games in a row. UK does not need it!

• michaelb
      9:09 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Yea just play it out in myplayer on NBA 2k. That’s the safest bet

5. John Capilari
    7:50 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Cal skips the tourney. Let KP coach.

• Luether
      9:12 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

My sources say that KP coaching instead of Cal would not impact the outcome of any game…

6. No more excuses cal
    9:15 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

If cal doesn’t like the conference tournament maybe he can seek employment elsewhere. Like the g leagues

• 4everUKblue
      10:49 pm February 9, 2019 Permalink

If you don’t like Cal, maybe you can seek another fanbase like say dUKe. Jacka$$

• No more excuses cal
      12:52 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

Seniority rules I was here before cal he can keep the established traditions or seek employment elsewhere

• catsarerunnin
      7:31 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

There’s also a senility rule too so you must move on.

• henderblue
      9:55 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

What 4ever said ^^^^jackazz

7. Sublem
    3:46 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

MSU will not be an issue in Nashville, I wont be surprised if its a repeat of the Rupp game. They’re just tough to play at home.

8. Racerr11
    9:16 am February 10, 2019 Permalink

Cal is the man, he’s right it does UK no good to play in the SEC tourney. I’ve been to the tournament it’s a great time and Nashville is the best but as far as the team goes it serves no purpose at all. Also anyone who thinks losing a game before NCAA tourney is a good thing needs to take up another sport. Maybe no sports at all.

• No more excuses cal
      2:28 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

Maybe we should just hold closed practice from November till March then just play those 6 games

• Ez21
      3:20 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

Look back on the evidence. We’ve won 1 title and look what happened in the Sec tourny that year. The 96 team also lost in the finals.

• JASUN74
      4:34 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

Ez21, we’ve won one title hey? Lmao. WOW. Are you a new fan to this Kentucky Wildcats thing? Lmao. Anyway dumbass, nothing we’ve ever done in our history of EIGHT championships have anything to do with this years team. NOTHING. To think there’s something you can take away from history to help you understand what can happen this year is stupid as anything I’ve heard in my life. Every team is different and every individual is different. You all need to get out of fairytale land and quit thinking if we lose it could help anything!! God almighty how dumb is some people!!

9. njCat
    3:46 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

I like coaches who have an ‘anywhere, anytime’ attitude. Why does Cal think he needs to protect his players from good competition? His home schedule is a joke compared to what it was under Hall, Tubby and Pitino. It’s no wonder there are so many empty seats.

• No more excuses cal
      11:31 pm February 10, 2019 Permalink

He doesn’t want to expose there weekness that why he hates holiday and conference tournaments it hurts there draft stock

10. No more excuses cal