Calipari joked about canceling the UK-Georgia series

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Tom Crean is back to coaching college basketball as the new head man at the University of Georgia. Crean’s new job brings him back into contention with Kentucky and his old friend, John Calipari, who, when asked about Crean on Friday, joked about canceling the UK-Georgia series.

“I told him I’m taking Georgia off the schedule,” Calipari told reporters, mocking the cancelation of UK’s series with Indiana while Crean was in Bloomington in 2012. “He laughed and said, We’re playing you twice. I said, Not in Athens. No, I’m just kidding. We’re playing in Athens.”

Calipari also said he couldn’t be happier for Crean and called him a terrific coach. “One of the best. He’s into basketball. He loves it. He’s about getting kids better. He’s always done it. We’ve had some good games.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Calipari joked about canceling the UK-Georgia series

1. UKFootballYall
    6:33 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Sweet!! There’s two guaranteed wins on our schedule next year!!

2. Congratulations Mo Bamba. One and done.

• Chacosrule
      7:05 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Beat me to it. But yes, congrats to Mo. Passing on UK to go to Texas, lose a bunch of games, and get bounced in round one. Sad decisions.

• catsarerunnin
      7:29 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

He will make his millions. That’s all he wanted.

• I guess. He might have made more here though.

• callitlikeiseeit
      7:54 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

If I remember Ben Simmons did not go to tourney at all, he did alright for himself. Will you people understand you don’t have to go to UK or play for Cal to be a lottery pick. Will be plenty of them again this season that did not, have been many in the past. If it was all because of Cal then why did this class bomb as far as lottery pick, all but Shai went down all season.

• You people. lol

• Made more after leaving here I meant.

And by the way, I call it like I see it, and I call that you’re full of poppycock. Ask AD, KAT, etc.

3. kentuckybackupplayer
    7:03 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Like Cal says “There are two kinds of coaches, coaches that can recruit great players and ex-coaches”. Crean wont last because he cant recruit the talent there and they will lose too much, same old story.

4. ClutchCargo
    7:50 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

UGA doesn’t need to be great, just good. Creen will do that for them, and it’s a win for the conference.

5. makeitstop
    9:24 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Hope he kept all his red sweaters and ties… and stuff like that.

6. Bull Filmer
    10:12 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Still having trouble processing the Crean hire by UGA. The DAWGS are all red neck and blue collar; Crean just does not belong. I can’t envision Crean at any SEC school, except Vandy and that’s only because of what a wuss he is (which was easy to als see him at PITT). He semi-irreparably damaged eye you (arguably the least academic BIG tent school).

• ClutchCargo
      1:13 am March 17, 2018 Permalink

He can fit in there if he wins enough. Hell, he was an assistant at WKU at one point.

7. CombatMedic_98
    12:02 pm March 17, 2018 Permalink

Coach Cal presceens ALL potential players before he pulls them in…that includes sponsorship, “money” exchanges, etc. You ain’t playin at UK coming in dirty on his watch!!!!