Calipari is “all ears” on request for Rupp Arena name change

John Calipari’s Wednesday press conference was held so he could speak about the new hire of Bruiser Flint and the departure of DeWayne Peevy, but the topic of Rupp Arena also came up in the conversation. It was Cal’s first time in front of the media since UK’s faculty within the African American and Africana Studies program requested the university change the name of Rupp Arena, and the Courier-Journal’s John Hale seized the opportunity to get Cal’s thoughts on the request for change.

“That, from what I understand, they were talking about a lot of different things,” Cal responded. “This is another chance for us to listen and learn. Some people will agree, some people are not going to agree. I would tell you again, for me personally, knowing the family, knowing Herky (Rupp) like I did–what’s out there that tells me it’s something different?

“I’m all ears and I’m going to listen, but here’s what I do know. The university is doing stuff going forward–diversity issues on our campus, they’re dealing with– (that is) very important for us. What we’re doing in the minority leadership initiative, we are taking the front position in this, the lead position; as this thing goes and grows, Kentucky is going to be the lead in what we’re doing and be the program that’s going to say, here are the best case scenarios in this and how we do it.”

Hale also asked if Calipari had heard anything from his players regarding Rupp, to which Cal said, “No, I haven’t heard anything on that side.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Calipari is “all ears” on request for Rupp Arena name change

1. runningunnin.454
    4:09 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, I though KSR was going to ignore that part of the press conference. Yeah, Cal; a chance to listen to lies and rumors, and learn nothing.
    Sounds like he’s ready for politics.

2. Dr. Tom
    4:11 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Cal mentions how this stuff happens in Wisconsin. Well, if you are black, white, brown, green, or blue and you are being asked by the authorities to respond to their commands and not do something stupid, then there is probably a 99% change they will not be shot!!

• skyzoo5
      4:27 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Dr. Tom, You’re joking right? Have you not been looking at what’s been happening to Black Males in this country! It doesn’t matter what instructions police give to us. The chance of getting shot or killed is increased just by virtue of our skin color. So you don’t get to offer your onesided White Privilege view on what is going on regarding Black Males and police tactics. Because you simply don’t know or choose to not know what’s going on. Thank you.

• mashman 93
      6:24 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

If he would have LET the police officers arrest him and he had outstanding warrants then he would be sitting in jail. The police are still the police and he was ignoring them while rushing to his car after they had tased him.

• ready4nineNOW
      10:02 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Yall are freaking morons. Gtfoh. NO ONE DESERVES TO GET SHOT FOR NOT FOLLOWING A COMMAND. ignorant mouth-breathing fools. No respect. Let your brother get shot for walking away from a cop. Just cuz some cop has a power trip. P*ssies with guns. Plain and simple.

• catdaddyd
      1:21 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

More whites are killed by cops than blacks. But we all know the real problem, right? If you father a child stay and raise it. Look up what Denzel has to say about it.

• StuckinLville
      5:14 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

skyzoo, I hate to tell you, but what I see a lot of is black males ignoring cops thinking they can do what they want and ending up getting killed. No, not all is the case, but some have been and people act like they were innocent. But you seem to think only black males are being killed by police. A lot of white males have been innocently killed, but you dont see it on the news because no one cares. You want to talk about white privilege, but there’s black privilege too. You get to say whatever you want, pull the race card if you want, go to school for free, and tons of other stuff just because of the color of skin. So you need to recognize your own privilege and wake up to the fact that this happens to EVERYONE! The media just doesn’t show you. I’m sure you probably dont even know who Tony Timpa is or give two craps cuz he’s white. Just like the media.

• ready4nineNOW
      10:05 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So acting like you are innocent is grounds to be shot? Wow. How yall rationalize your racism is amazing

• Catscats23
      5:17 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Skyzoo. Maybe it’s because a larger percent of black people don’t know how to act decent. They act like laws don’t apply to them. Don’t act like a piece of [email protected]#$ and you won’t have any problems.

• skyzoo5
      7:40 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m not surprised by some of your comments because it’s truly appalling to read some of the crap you’re typing in this thread. But I can tell you’re part of the problem. I’m not saying every Black male is innocent, but regardless of that, no one and I mean no one on this earth can justify someone getting shot seven or eight times in the damn back or the other senseless killings taking place where other de escalation methods were warranted. But I understand nothing will change in this thread because some of you cannot see past your own eyeballs and your unwillingness to see the freaking truth.

• satcheluk
      9:30 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Skyzoo-the dark side of the force is strong here. Their hearts are corrupted. You can’t teach them empathy, if their mother didn’t.

• 4everUKBlue
      8:56 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

What I’ve seen is a lot of blacks killing blacks, in fact it happened twice here in Lexington within the last week or so and those are just the two I know of, imagine what the numbers are nationwide. How about those wanting to change the name of Rupp Arena work on that epidemic, something that might change things, changing the name of Rupp Arena fixes nothing.

• skyzoo5
      11:08 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

@satcheluk, I appreciate you and agree with your comment. Enjoy your day, stay safe and healthy as best you can.

• PensacolaCat
      12:42 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

So the guy was acting innocent? Riiight…the police officer used excessive force but the guy is a thug. Let’s not act like this couldn’t have been avoided.

3. Dr. Tom
    4:13 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

“chance”

4. VilleCat11
    4:13 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Players are not mentioning it because they don’t know anything about Rupp and Frankly dont care..

5. 4burgoo
    4:33 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Weren’t the naming rights for Rupp Arena sold to Central Bank? Not sure what Cal’s input matters, seems like the name of it is their decision until 2033.

6. bbn606
    4:44 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

I would hate to think that the University would take into consideration the thoughts of a player who spends a year there and knows nothing about the history of UK.

7. runningunnin.454
    4:45 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Has anyone talked to Coach Stoops? I’m calling for a name change for Kroger Field; I don’t know, maybe Commonwealth Stadium has a nice ring to it.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      5:01 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. We can argue that Kroger is prejudice against poor people. I can afford to shop there and shake my head at the prices of stuff in sale.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      5:02 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

On sale.

8. BlueSteel
    4:57 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s what intelligent people do – Listen!! It’s what intelligent, compassionate people do when they know that their own narrow view of the world is NOT the only viewpoint!! All he said was that he was willing to listen… Some of you should do the same.

• rlee7932
      5:00 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

You have come to the wrong place for intelligence and compassion.
      Racist dog whistles on the other hand…

• BlueSteel
      5:08 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Sad but true…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:03 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

I can’t speak for everyone on this site or in the comment section, but read the very first comment above. If you are a frequent visitor to the comments (especially the Show Thread) you will know that RG has not a racist bone in his body.

Can I disagree with a name change without being a racist? Is that okay? Even more so, is it okay that we ask that people actually know the real story of Rupp before deciding to change a name or not?

Cal is doing the same thing as Matt and trying to placate both sides and not take a stand. That is not a leader. That is a politician.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:08 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and I challenge anyone to challenge RG’s knowledge of UK bball history, or most any other subject. The man’s a walking encyclopedia.

9. Wildfelinebeeline
    5:05 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

To me, I see two things about this article. 1, KSR titles it that Cal is all ears about renaming Rupp. And 2. Cal says he hasn’t heard from any of the player or heard any of the negative stuff reported and is willing to hear what they are saying. I believe the players they’re referring to and the ones Cal is referring to are the ones that played for Rupp, not the current players. Cal would have access to Rupp’s players where most people wouldn’t. Why would he ask his current players? They wouldn’t have any direct proof. So, Cal is saying “I know Rupp’s son and don’t get that vibe. I haven’t heard any of that from Rupp’s players. But I’m willing to hear what proof they would like to provide.” Any good coach would do that. If I’m correct, KSR owes Coach Cal an apology for misrepresenting what Coach Cal said.

Does every source of media like to feed off this problem in our country? YES! But KSR you are better than this and I can’t believe you stopped to that level.

10. 859bornandraised
    7:07 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

So I guess you turn a blind eye to peoples racism because you like them…WOW

• 4everUKBlue
      9:01 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

And you were around Rupp and have proof he was a racist? WOW

• NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
      1:07 pm August 27, 2020 Permalink

And you have proof he wasn’t racist? Do you know Rupp personally? I come to the posts that I know will bring out the racists KY fans, just to see many of y’all try to justify racism while trying to deny that y’all racist.

• 859bornandraised
      9:58 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

4everukblue.. I guess we both don’t know the truth..WOW

11. GACAT
    8:55 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Changing Rupp Arena’s name is like tearing down Christopher Columbus’s statue by BLM. Calipari probably wants the name changed to Calipari Arena

12. KyZoneBlitz
    12:03 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I Love Cal… Perfect fit for this program and fanbase… But, I think he’s all ears hoping maybe the suggestions lead to Cal Arena…. He may be modest, but he loves the praise for it…

13. catdaddyd
    1:26 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

UK doesn’t own the arena and only lease it. So they don’t have a say. Build your own arena and name it whatever the hell you want.

14. KYat46
    9:24 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Like Cal. Hope he represents us well. Maybe he needs to coach in LA.

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      9:39 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

And replace him with who?

15. light my fire
    9:30 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So does Cal still want it to be Rupp Arena?

16. UKFanSC
    9:49 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Cal is smart enough to know he must tread very lightly here. On the one hand he must mollify and support his players on the other hand he is trifling with the foundation of the nation’s most passionate fan base. If he supports changing the name of Rupp Arena he will immediately become a state villain. He’ll be booed off his own court.

17. SADmaninKy
    11:15 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

“The Greatest Tradition in College Basketball!” Coach Rupp is a BIG part of that tradition.