Calipari: “I’m not panicked in any way”

cal-relax

Sure, Kentucky may be struggling right now, but so are a lot of teams across the nation. In the past week, Kansas (#1) lost, Maryland (#3) lost, Michigan State (#4) lost twice, Miami (#8) lost twice, and Duke (#9) lost twice, and that’s only the top ten. John Calipari took solace in the fact that other teams are struggling as well during today’s SEC Coaches Teleconference.

“We’re still trying to figure it out,” Cal said. “I look around and I think a lot of teams are in the same boat we’re in, where you don’t have a whole lot of margin for error.”

Saturday’s loss may have been cringeworthy, but Calipari said he’s not panicking yet.

“It’s a process. I’m not panicked in any way. I knew going into the season this wasn’t last year’s team. I’ve said all along, we’re one of those teams, but we’re not that good. I mean, we’re good, but we’re not like we were a year ago.”

That’s the understatement of the day, but Calipari pointed to another squad that struggled early and was able to turn things around.

“I look at us and my mentality is we’ll break through at some point. I mean, I remember the team in 2013-14. Oh my gosh, we almost ran out of runway, and we got the plane down and then we got in the NCAA Tournament and we went to the final game and had a chance to win the national title.”

Over the weekend, Tyler Ulis tweeted that this team could still “Be special.” Remember the last time a player predicted a special ending when the future looked grim?

Not gonna lie, I needed that today.

26 Comments for Calipari: “I’m not panicked in any way”

1. Rise
    12:38 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

This team is missing Dakari Johnson. If only he had stayed. Like Coach Cal said, if you have no post play, you are a fraud.

• Megan
      2:09 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Fraudy Cats?

• Catlanta Fan
      2:57 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

I’ve been saying the same thing all year. He should’ve stayed instead of going to the D League. That would have made all the difference. I guess he quit going to class and had no choice….smh

• CATandMONKEY
      3:12 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Catlanta…False.

2. UK Big Board Update
    12:41 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

If everyone returned from last year, we’d go 40-0….

• Cody Noe
      1:49 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

If my aunt had nuts, she’d be my uncle.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:24 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

LMAO. You got it!!

• The Rest of the story
      5:32 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Ifs ands buts and nuts we all have a Merry Christmas, oops sorry Big bore for you it is Happy Holidays since your liberal beliefs do not allow anything else. What a fraud you are.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:38 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

WTF are you rambling about? Can someone translate this gibberish? I don’t speak ‘redneck’….

3. BobKYCats
    12:43 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

I think you mean to say that Michigan St lost twice, and No. 8 MIAMI lost as well. Clemson is unranked, though that may change this afternoon.

4. maximumblue
    12:55 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Duke will probably go up in the polls.

5. deltasig41
    1:00 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Am I the only one that thought we actually played OK Saturday? We obviously didn’t play great, but we played well enough to win the game. But when the other team makes 12 threes and doubles you up at the free throw line, it is difficult to overcome. Am I happy? Satisfied? Into moral victories? Absolutely not…I’m just not jumping off the ledge. It was a bad loss, there’s no question. But there’s been games like this where we’ve laid an egg and lost. That wasn’t the case on Saturday.

• roundball fool
      1:08 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Wise post, deltasig41!

• Capurnicus
      1:36 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

I would agree with this. Auburn threw up a bunch of stupid looking shots and too many dropped. That being said, in my view this team seriously lacks post scoring and defensive rebounding. Brisco appears to be the most consistent post scorer and he is 6’3″.

• kyjohn
      2:02 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Apparently you are one of the few that bothered to look at the box score and notice this big discrepancy.Nice heads up.

• Saul T. Nuts
      2:59 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Well said…that loss didn’t bother me at all.

• somerset bill
      3:11 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

cal laid the comeback and the 4 threes at the player’s feet in his comments. 3 of the 4 threes, anyway. he acknowledged that the banked three was luck. superbowler’s luck. the players were specifically supposed to make them drive and keep them from shooting threes. didn’t happen.

a couple of other things. lee, poythress and skal all did very little, again. and the guys we are depending on since those guys are doing very little–tyler, murray and briscoe–missed 35 shots out of 51 attempts. 31%.

auburn threw up a bunch of ridiculous threes, yes. that helped one of the bottom teams in the league, beat us even with some of their players out. any of the top five teams, though, wouldn’t need anything extraordinary to beat us, if our inside, and our outside, plays like that.

• PoopTooth
      5:11 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

I certainly appreciate a more positive attitude! I get so sick of hearing whinny baby fair weather fans complain because we don’t win every game and win championships every year. Support your team no matter what and keep in mind these are young kids on the biggest stage of their lives thus far… anyways! If you look at the stats from last year’s team the only real differences are free throws, turnovers, and 3 point shooting. The big problem is these stats aren’t evenly distributed between others. You have 3 guards doing all the heavy lifting and no front court. I wouldn’t say we played well or OK… the defense was/is definitely lacking and again that points to 3 people playing defense rather than 5. There were some improvements in effort but some setback as well. We’ll be fine…

6. beaudiddy
    1:10 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Its all a scam! We play like crap, get an 8 seed, put in a cupcake bracket (for once!), then dominate the ncaa tournament and get #9! GENIUS!

7. kyjohn
    2:05 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Hard for the bigs to score if they only get their shots off rebounds and few touches in the paint.

• dhighdrated
      2:13 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

you can’t possibly be putting this on the backcourt for not sharing the ball down low.

• beaudiddy
      2:32 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Kinda agree. The guards are busy ball hogging and rarely pass the ball down low.

• Saul T. Nuts
      3:01 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

It’s funny…they focus on getting the ball inside, and Poythress scores 25 and we win, and in the next game he barely got the ball…I know it has a lot to do with the opponent, but there’s got to be some middle ground.

• PoopTooth
      5:18 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

Some truth to this but definitely not the guards’ fault. Cal wanted a “dribble drive” offense and this means keeping the lane open. He has bigs rotating in and out in most cases. Also who do you trust in the paint with the ball? None of our bigs have hands or vision enough to pass it back out. We just don’t have the size or effort to keep bigs in the paint either. Personally you can have the dribble drive offense… only works if you have great shooters, strong finishers, and people who make free throws… but this is what we have to work with.

8. Wildcat Sheli
    11:38 pm January 18, 2016 Permalink

I was looking back at our recent history and found some interesting trends for the ’10-’11, ’12-’13’, ’13-’14 and current seasons. These are the seasons during the Cal era with at least 4 losses. (To think ’09-’10, ’11-’12 & ’14-’15 have a sum total of 6 losses is amazing).

The 4th Loss of the Season came:
    Jan 18, 2011 (made it to the Final Four)
    Jan 14, 2014 (made it to the Championship Game)

For the ’12-’13 team, the 4th loss was Dec 29, 2012 and the 5th on Jan 12, 2013 and the 6th on Jan 22 (NIT year).

This year’s 4th loss was on Jan 16, 2016. Just found it interesting that 2 of our 4 recent Final Four Teams also had their 4th loss in the middle of January.

“We ain’t dead yet, boys!” Go ‘Cats! Go Big Blue!