Calipari: “If I could practice tonight, we would have gone three hours”

KSR-9453

How frustrated is John Calipari with how his team played down the stretch?

If not for NCAA rules preventing it, he would drive them straight to the Joe Craft Center and hold a practice tonight.

“If I could practice tonight, we would have gone three hours,” Cal said in his postgame press conference. “I would have had them meet me at the gym at 10:00, and I would have gone three hours until 1:00 in the morning until people were puking. That’s what I would have done. That’s the old days. I can’t do that.”

He said his team reverted in the final minutes, but he isn’t sure if it was due to exhaustion or reverting back to old habits or a combination of both.

“We’re going to get after this and continue to build what you saw for three quarters of the game.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Calipari: “If I could practice tonight, we would have gone three hours”

1. BLAINE-MAN
    10:33 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

I love his comments. The only question Is what did he see the first three quarters that I didn’t see? I hope they prepare to be much better than that because the first three quarters weren’t impressive either against a garbage LSU team. 😩

2. Luether
    11:09 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

This team appears to be way overrated…

3. WeareBBN
    12:10 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

You have has all year to practice, what the hell you been working on as it is hard to see from the games. We don’t play any team defense and very little on ball defense. We are not rebounding, at least not those that should be getting them. Fox still moves out of the way instead in front of any driving offensive player he is not guarding. Just curious if anyone knows how many charges he has taken this year, not offensive fouls on the man he is guarding but stepping over to help and take a charge. I have seen most of the minutes played and do not remember one but sure do remember him sticking an arm out and/or flat out moving away. Love him on offense, he seems like a warrior but on D help he plays scared.

4. 8xchamp
    1:31 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

We’re not good, and it’s not because of lack of talent or coaching. It’s lack of effort. And if certain guys aren’t gonna give it. I don’t care how high they’re projected in mock drafts. Time to cut their minutes

• Kenny P.
      8:04 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

Bingo!

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:34 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

I totally agree! Cut their minutes. It is like the Nerlens Noel year again, where the team got “hijacked” and Cal had to play people because there was no depth…only there is depth now. Play Hawkins and Mulder, play SKJ….play Tai! Do something to get the point across.

5. Blueblood65
    6:55 am February 8, 2017 Permalink

As much as I love having Cal as our coach and I do, this lack of defense,focus,energy,etc is his fault. He needs to figure out a way to fix this or this team will be out after the first week of the Tournament. I would’ve bet my House that they would’ve been more focused and energized after Saturday so I’m glad I didn’t make that bet. Figure it out Coach…….