Calipari: “I hate to say it, but it could be crazy again”

CalStealJoy

John Calipari talked about more than Confederate flags today on the SEC Summer Teleconference. With Jamal Murray now officially on the roster, Cal told reporters — you guessed it — he likes his team.

“I’m excited about our team. I think our backcourt should be one of the stronger backcourts in the country, even though we will be very young, and our frontcourt, athletic and long — 7′, 6’10”, 6’8″, 6′9″,” Cal said. “I mean, our wing play with Charles and Mychal, Alex getting back healthy, Marcus Lee getting his opportunity. I hate to say it but it could be crazy again.

When asked specifically about Jamal Murray, Cal said he’s looking forward to the versatility he brings to the team.

“You know I’ve played all kind of different times, whether it’s smaller teams, bigger teams, longer teams. He is a playmaking guard who can play 1 or 2 and can really score the ball. Great in pick and rolls, can play with Tyler or you could play three guards at times if you chose to do that,” Cal said. “But it’s hard to say you’re gonna do that when you have the bigs that we have in Skal, Marcus and Alex if he’s healthy, along with Charles and Mychal. All of the sudden you have Dom and you have Derek, you have a–we have a good team. I mean, we’re like, ‘Let’s start playing. Let’s throw it up.’

Yes. Let’s.

swaggycal2[1]

8 Comments for Calipari: “I hate to say it, but it could be crazy again”

1. Dustin
    12:07 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Could we platoon again?

• cracka
      12:20 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I’d love for us to run our 10 guys in and out, but after Cal went public and said “no more platoon”, I doubt he’d do it … could you see Cal come out and say, “the guys talked on their own and came to me and said we wanna platoon again, every one of them, so that’s what they wanna do”

2. Dan
    12:14 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Listening to Cal talk about his teams before the season offers a lot. You can tell which teams he feels could be scary good (like 2010, 2012, 2015), but if he says he likes his team I’m fully excited for next year. If you remember, Cal constantly questioned why UK was rated so highly in the NIT year, even asking the fans at BBM “Does that look like a top five team to you?” Every other year, even 2011 and 2014 where it took a while to click, he was dead on about his guys.

3. Laker Cat 18
    12:46 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I like Swaggy Cal. He makes me feel good.

• KevinM
      2:17 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, never get tired of Swaggy Cal……….if I had to endure Saban every interview…..

4. Manufactured Home Cat
    1:09 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Cal is a crazy wop

• #L1C7
      2:30 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Stay classy, Louisville. Way to represent your fanbase.

5. #swaggycal
    4:34 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I am glad Jerry asks the tough questions, lol, but I really don’t care what Calipari thinks about any issue other than next year’s team. But thanks Jer for keeping sh*t real.