Calipari: “I don’t expect us to have an easy path” in NCAA Tournament

Tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. on CBS, leading into Kentucky vs. Tennessee, the Selection Committee will reveal the top four seeds in each region of the NCAA Tournament as though the regular season ended tonight. This is the third year the Selection Committee has given fans and teams this “sneak peek” of the top 16 teams and today, John Calipari said he likes it because it makes the process more transparent.

“I’m glad they’re doing what they’re doing,” Calipari told reporters. “It just kind of holds you accountable. That’s why I like it being done. If you’re No. 13 and you win 8 out of 9 and you go to No. 22, ‘Why did that happen?’ You can’t do that now. Or, if you’re No. 12 and you lose, ‘Well, they lost but that’s different because of where they are in their league’ and all that. You can’t do that now. I like it. Put it out. Let us finish the season. Let’s see who does what. Go from there.”

Despite the sneak peek and the fact that athletic director Mitch Barnhart is on the Selection Committee (although he has to be out of the room when Kentucky is discussed), Calipari said he’s resigned to the fact that bias will always play a part in seeding.

I don’t expect us to have an easy path when we’re in that tournament. I just don’t. We’re not going to. And I expect some teams to have an easier path. I just expect it, so then you’re not upset. They may surprise me. Nah. No way.”

Joe Lunardi updated his Bracketology this morning and still has Kentucky as a five-seed. In his update earlier this week, CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm had the Cats as a six-seed. Andy Katz believes Kentucky will be a five-seed. The Cats’ NET ranking, which the Committee uses to sort teams, is currently No. 24.

Will Kentucky be one of the top 16 teams tomorrow? Like Calipari, I’m going in with low expectations.

32 Comments for Calipari: “I don’t expect us to have an easy path” in NCAA Tournament

1. Wade
    3:16 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

We’ve had easy paths cal needs to let tit go this yr

• John Capilari
      7:48 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

Yes, please let it go. I love Cal, but this crap is annoying.

2. mashburnfan1
    3:20 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Shut up Cal, excuses excuses before we even see the bracket. Facts are the last few years we had the easiest path to the F4 and could not get there. Facts are since your Memphis days you almost always lose to a much less talented team in March. Hopefully Evansville, USC or Utah are not in our bracket. Or even Vandy who we struggled to beat with them missing their top scorer or Utah Valley. Even at UK its a WVU, K State or Auburn team who we already beat and they were missing their star. Or you have a team almost no coach would have lost with yet you lose to Wisconsin. Coach to win titles and not draft picks and you may have won a few titles. Just easier to complain the whole world is out to get you.

• 4everUKBlue
      3:44 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

I knew I could count on mashbum the Cal hater to comment on this thread. Made your whole week…LMAO. The whole world is out to get Kentucky in general, if you could stop being a pompous, arrogant @ss you might have noticed that over the years….decades even.

• 4everUKBlue
      3:49 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

BTW mashbum I dont suppose you notice that Vandy beat LSU by 9 for their first conference loss and that was with LSU shooting 36 free throws to Vandy’s 23. Just easier for you to spew negative comments because Cal is out to make your life miserable. You should try to enjoy life instead of living in misery.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      4:05 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Mashbum must only watch Duke games and thinks K is Cal because he copies him on everything. We have continued to get the teams who were underseeded for how they were playing at seasons end. Their rough start knocked them down but by tourney time they were on fire. See Wichita St, K St, Auburn(who blew out Tenn in the SEC tourny). Your Duke demon gods had the team of the millennium and had to have the refs hand them games against teams with one good player.

• 4everUKBlue
      4:06 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

And how did that turn out?

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      5:06 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

They played a team with several good players and got B O U N C E D harder than Mashburm’s head when his mom dropped him while trying to cook meth.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:45 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

If you remember it took the help of the refs to get the past UCF, instead of calling what should’ve been two fouls on Zion they chose to foul out Tacko Fall.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      10:57 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

In my previous post I pointed that out I was saying not even the refs could carry them when they had to face a team with a roster.

3. Papaw
    3:33 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

What do wanna bet, Duke gets a 1 seed?

4. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:09 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

What do you want to bet they’ll load their bracket with a bunch of scrubs that Mashbum would believe should all be 1 seeds?

5. J. Did
    4:41 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

KENTUCKY and dook are everybody’s ‘super bowl’ all season long.

Because Mike annually services the committee – for a holiday gift – it is reciprocated come Road to the Final Four.

And, dook ALWAYS gets the easy road to hoe.

KENTUCKY does not.

Ever.

6. MrFlip41129
    5:05 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Cats always get the toughest road, especially since Cal had been here. But Cal is right. Look at what Gonzaga gets almost every year. In Cal I trust, GO CATS!!!!!!!!

7. CahillsCrossingNT
    5:17 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Please coach just suck it up and do the best you can. That’s all you can do. Everybody thinks their team gets the wrong end of the stick. You excelled with a tough draw in 2014, so do it again.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      6:26 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

All Duke fans like yourself believe they got the wrong end of the stick when not even the refs can carry you in a game.

8. Righteous1
    8:53 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Well MashburnFan1 I see it did not take the Cal Lovers Wolfpack long to try and corner you! I agree with you Mash. The Hall of Fame Coach and Sporting News Coach of the Decade will lose to a team in the NCAA tournament that has 2 things in common: The coach’s first name will be Bruce and the team will be missing their best player. Bruce Webber with Kansas State missing Dean Wade. Bruce Pearl with Auburn missing Chuma Okeke. Pearl beat the hero coach without his best player when it really counted. I want the Cal Lovers Wolfpack to chew on those facts about their hero!

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      10:55 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

And those teams ended up rallying around their lost comrade and played better than anyone predicted in the tourny. But facts are irrelevant when your “righteous”.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

We need more facts; how about Righty add up all of Weber’s and Pearl’s National Titles and Final Fours, and get back to us.
      WoW, that might take some time; bound to be a bunch. s [!] Ha Ha Ha

9. kjd
    9:04 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Why would Cal expect easy? It’s the NCAA tournament. It’s full of quality competition.
    However, Cal has proclaimed us the gold standard. So let’s be the gold standard.

10. dcforuk
    12:39 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

The Bruce’s connection and best player is ironic and kind of funny. Doesn’t change the constant wine and cheese from unrighteous and (I once was a football lover who quit on Stoops earlier this season) Mashburn!

11. Righteous1
    2:25 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

Well 454 are you referring to the 4 Final 4’s and 1 title that the hero of the Cal Lovers Wolfpack has at UK? Because the FF at UMass and Memphis have been vacated and there is no guarantee that the ones at UK will stand either! So Webber is equal over the last 4 yrs and Pearl has 1 more than the hero coach. Pearl has actually won more games over the last 3 yrs. NEWSFLASH: Those 2 coaches make less than 10 million combined per season!

• ukkatzfan
      8:46 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

Pearl does have one more title than Cal and has come close to going up 2-0. It is the “Show Just Cause” to hire title. Way to go Bruce. Was sure you were going to get your second title when U6 lost theirs. Bwahahahaha. You stand behind Pearl which is the closest Pearl has been to Righteousness. Have a good day you Self-Righteous1.

• runningunnin.454
      8:58 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

I might have known you would mess up a very simple task. Weber and Pearl have one FF each; and neither has won a Division I ncaa title.
      I’ll give you another chance; Cal was found to be culpable in the UMass and Memphis situations, TRUE/FALSE. You have a 50/50 chance on this one.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:59 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

Righteous1….I mean Slater is not even smart enough to respond to the previous comment. You’re not very smart for sure but I will bet you everything I have that Cal’s title will stand, now put up or shut up.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:02 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

RG, you’re going to have to ask much easier questions or Righteous1/Slater’s head will explode. Come to think of it, ask some tougher questions.

• CrystalBall
      10:51 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

Just a reminder, R1. Those games were vacated because of two players, not because of something Cal did or didn’t do.
      So if Ky’s student athletes stay clean, UK should be fine.

12. WKY Cat
    8:16 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

Looks petty. Just play the games.

13. ukkatzfan
    8:34 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

An easy path is Michigan St or Evansville ? This team seems to be allergic to cupcakes.

14. bluecat15
    11:35 am February 8, 2020 Permalink

How many McDonald’s all Americans are on this team?

15. dcforuk
    12:38 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Words can be spun very easily. I can do it just as well as anyone but so can unrighteous. Do you believe the things that you write because they are true or in your opinion are they true because you believe them? Huge difference!