Calipari hopeful college basketball happens, but says sport must go by science

Will there be college basketball this year? John Calipari sure hopes so because he really likes his team.

This morning, Calipari took a break from sunning himself on the Jersey shore to Zoom with reporters, and when asked, said that although he wants there to be college basketball this year “in the worst way,” the sport must follow guidance from public health officials in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

“My opinion on this would be a guess,” Calipari said. “My hope is that we tamp down this virus and we’re able to come back and play but if you’re asking me — and let me say this, my hope is pretty strong for basketball because I have a really good team so I want us to play basketball in the worst way and be in that NCAA Tournament and make a run but we’ve got to go with the science. We’ve got to trust the people within that field, within our league, within our schools, and we’ve got to roll with what they’re telling us to do.”

Once again, Calipari called on fans to do their part to prevent the spread of the virus by wearing masks.

“The great thing, and I come back to, and I hope you guys all print this, our state has done a great job, and we’ve got to turn it up. It may not matter because there are so many other states losing their minds and things are going haywire, but our state, and it’s four million of us, let’s protect each other. Wear the mask. It’s not a statement. Just wear the mask. It protects you, it protects somebody else. If we do that, just wear the mask. If you’re out, you’re in a building, if you’re outside walking around, I get it, but if you’re in a building and in any kind of position where you’re around people, put the mask on.

“When I walk the boardwalk, I’ll have the mask with me. I have it in my pocket. If I go by a group of people, I’ll put the mask on. If I’m walking and I’m by myself and there’s no one, seagulls, I’m not going to put the mask on. If I’m at the beach and we’re separated and it’s just us, I’ll take the mask off. I would tell everybody, we’ve got to get through this and unless things start to change, what everybody’s hope is is going to be hard to happen.”

27 Comments for Calipari hopeful college basketball happens, but says sport must go by science

1. Ned T.
    2:23 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

If we followed science, we would have gone about our business like any flu season and this would have been over a long time ago. Instead, it became a political issue for Trump haters to inflict pecuniary pain on Americans to try to influence the November election.

It will not work. Americans have learned the truth about democrast/Antifa/BLM/globalists these past few months.

• bigblue98
      2:31 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Ned – still waiting on response from post in the other thread. You haven’t answered yet.

• Corder
      2:33 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

You’re exactly right. If the government had only gone by the science instead of their feelings we would have been better off. People can keep talking about cases of covid but unless the death rate gets out fo control, witch it hasn’t, then we can’t treat this as if it’s the end of the world.

• Bluehender
      2:35 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

He has no answer bigblue98. I got one though. Trump has done nothing but sew negativity and division. And for that he must be voted out…

• Bluebird
      2:47 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Do you think…Is it possible… Has Ned somehow never seen a map before? Does he just not KNOW that there ARE other countries? Is that why he still somehow thinks that America would be doing better against the pandemic if we’d done nothing at all? Even though we’re currently doing so, so much worse than every other country that did more? I’m serious. Is there another explanation?

• RealCatsFan
      3:35 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Bluebird, I would say that there is probably a very good chance that Ned not only doesn’t know what a map is, but that he thinks the earth is in fact flat.

• Megan
      3:37 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Corder – It’s not just about death. The number of cases alone has serious personal and public health consequences. We’re in a bad way regardless of death.

And it looks like even that argument is slipping away from you now. Deaths, which are a lagging indicator, are rising again, as you would expect after infections spiral out of control. And because the country has so mismanaged this crisis, it’s still the early innings for us while other countries are bringing in their closers. The worst is yet to come. And voters know who to blame for the lack of leadership.

• RealCatsFan
      3:45 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Corder, if you were one of the unlucky ones who at a minimum got laid out by this thing for a few weeks, I think your opinion would change even then. Not to mention if you had to be hospitalized for 3 or 4 weeks and got to pay those medical bills. And if you got to deal with the very possible long term health issues like lung and organ damage, blood clots, etc. That is a significantly higher percentage than the death rate, and think about the people who are knocked out of the work force because of that. That alone is not real conducive to a robust economy. That is one major aspect of all this that gets lost in all the politics.

2. madarchitect
    2:47 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Ned T – Are you really saying that if we would’ve “gone about our business” (which is basically doing nothing) this would be over? Unless I am misunderstanding your comment, you appear to be the one acting on political impulse. It is completely nonsensical to think that we would be in a better position with regards to the virus by doing nothing than we would be by taking precautions. I don’t even think your cable news channel could spin this one.

3. JT55
    3:08 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

A lot of Beta males are Democrats. That is all.

• RealCatsFan
      3:38 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Wow. Amidst a scientific discussion amongst a few adults (and at least one non-adult), we get this deep and pensive statement. Obviously coming from an “alpha male”. Obviously.

• runningunnin.454
      1:35 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

It’s a scientific fact that women prefer alpha males; so there’s that.

4. BLUEKAT
    3:10 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Ned, that just might be the most ignorant thing I ahve ever seen in print.

5. lexslamman
    4:04 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Cal’s got some nerve lecturing Kentuckians on pandemic prevention after having traveled 700 miles right into a hot spot.

• Bluebird
      4:35 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

This…is actually fair. People traveling for non-essential reasons right now is pretty irresponsible. Hopefully he’s at least getting tested before and after.

6. Tej
    4:27 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Cal saying we should rely on science? I bet he’s listened to doctors and public health care experts. Seems to be a better idea than listening to Fox Noise, the Stable Genius, and some posters here

7. dan1965
    8:22 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

That’s it,all the good liberals blame it on President Trump for this spread,good liberals,good ! Lol
    Never mind these people elbow to elbow,yelling side by side (yet Christians can’t sing in church),spitting on people,looting,rioting, ohhh I’m sure none of them,not a 1 have had the disease or been carriers and spread it,surely not ! But blame Trump,churches,and his supporters !geesh go lay down somewhere !
    I’m sick of hearing ,oh but this movement is so important,so life changing,they must be allowed to protest ! No you idiots,you can’t have it both ways ! Either this pandemic is that bad,it’s so Awful, so devastating, OR ITS NOT ! If it is,then there should be No LOOTING,,NO RIOTING,NO PROTESTERS ALLOWED ANYWHERE ! EVERYONE should then be made to stay home ! So which is it ! And I don’t want excuses and democrat liberal double talk !
    I promise you,I’m not somebody that your going to cancel out ,or expect to shut up,I am only going to get louder,and attack more the stupidity when Trump is blamed,or church singing when everything else is all ok ! I’ll come on Twitter,and do,in person,and have, and could care less what you think, so stop blaming Trump for all the problems in the world and your life,the economy was great and this country was growing again in businesses coming back to America,and all these idiotic democrat Obama regulations being undone by this administration, until the virus hit,which was in no way his fault,he even stopped travel to areas,but was criticized for that ! By Biden and the liberal DEMOCRATS ! Anyone who thinks the Democrats aren’t politicizing this hasn’t got a brain in their head !
    Yes Trump has promoted going back to work,this country will collapse if it doesn’t,just like YOU would collapse and die if you didn’t go get food at a grocery store to eat to stay alive ! So businesses have to be opened,people have to eat,food has to be processed,and people have to pay mortgages,or get booted from homes ! Sure it can be done in a safe manner,but the country can’t dry up ! But things that are UNNEEDED,LIKE RIOTING CAN !
    So blame the Democrat mayors,and Governors for continuing to let those things continue,not Trump,it’s the Democrat leadership that’s playing games (Beshears) and others,Deblasio aka DESTUPIDO ! I know,this makes to much sense to a liberal,sorry next time I’ll type slower so you can understand and follow along better ! Attack away,I’m ready…Always !

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Whew. You mad, bro?

• rlee7932
      7:43 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

I have a hard time believing a single word of that deranged drivel especially when said idiot author cannot discern the difference between your and you’re.

8. dan1965
    3:02 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Nope , just sick of liberals destroying this country !

• rlee7932
      7:38 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Well you are really going to be mad after November when you realize that America has rejected your moronic views

9. dan1965
    3:07 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

And willing to buy pacifiers and Binkeys for all the crying liberals that need one !

• rlee7932
      7:40 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Looks like some snowflake is posting at 3 AM
      Talk about triggered or perhaps the meth is wearing off

• DOCUK18
      11:04 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Rlee, typing tough guy, lol. Wouldn’t talk that way to anyone’s face… what a twit.

10. Ned T.
    10:39 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Death rates are decreasing. We now know the CDC and multiple state health agencies FALSIFIED coronvirus statistics to support the plitical shutdowns. The vast majority of dead were in nursing homes. A normal young person has virtually ZERO chance of dying from coronavirus, and likely will not even know they have it.

Yes, we should have treated it like the normal flu that it is. Instead, democrats/leftists/Soros/antifa all decided this is a good time to destroy the US, just like the leftists did to Germany in the 1930s. Thinkg I am kidding? Read some history, you nitwits.

11. dan1965
    4:22 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

Hey Docuk18 think so,bring your @$$ my way and I’ll give you the beat down of your life ! I’m a former deputy sheriff who will meet u impersonal any time you’d like you chicken$hit , so send me your phone # and let’s go and see if I’m afraid or not of you liberal crybaby ! Come on,let’s go,see if it’s just the internet keyboard you pu$$y !

12. dan1965
    4:26 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

Docuk18 I apologize, I thought u were talking to me man,I owe u an apology, I re read it though and seems like u were talking to someone else, so my deepest apology man.