Calipari “hit his team in the mouth” Sunday

calipari

Coach Cal said he hit his team in the mouth on Sunday, one day after they failed to put away Vanderbilt the way Kentucky should put away Vanderbilt in 2014. He went to the tape and showed his players what they should’ve done to run away with an easy victory and what they did instead, which allowed Vanderbilt to hang around until the end.

“I think they were all, like, stunned,” he said of the players’ reaction to the “hitting of the mouth.”

Then he explained what that hitting of the mouth entailed:

“I just told them the truth. I just said, ‘Do you want me to BS you, or do you want me to tell you the truth?’ And it was kind of like ‘slap, slap, slap, slap, slap, slap, slap, slap, slap, slap.’ It wasn’t just one guy. It was, like, everybody. And we were going to practice an hour because we traveled back, but practice went an hour and a half because of them. I told them part of our issue is the focus we have at times on that court. We just lose the — you have to have a sense of urgency and a sense of purpose on each possession, and we don’t always do it. Guys will stop, and they’re pointing to go guard their man who came off a screen, or stop playing and a guy back-cuts. We told them, ‘Vandy’s going to try to trick you into baskets, and they did.’ They probably got 20 points on trick. Just — get beat because they’re better than you; they executed. Not trick you into a layup or slip into a dunk. Those kind of things, which we had gone over. Obviously we didn’t have a whole lot of time, but you have to be focused. We’re not quite ready for that.”

Sounds like Sunday’s practice wasn’t a fun one.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Calipari “hit his team in the mouth” Sunday

1. Headliner
    6:35 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Not to be out done, Rick Pitino f ****d his team in the a**.

• theSkinny81
      12:06 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

This, absolutely, wins.

• MacGruber
      5:21 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Winner!

2. BravoBigBlue
    6:38 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

He should have done this about 2 months ago.

3. TN Kat
    6:42 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

And when is Cal not out coached by Stallings ??? ever ???

• UK
      6:45 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Good thing the players win the game and not the coach. Sure the coach gives you a plan, but Kentucky year in and year out has better talent than Vandy (and many other teams for that matter)

4. themaninhebrownsuit
    6:58 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Cal’s record speaks for itself – he will not out coach you – he will just win!
    Check the winning percentage and other than the Wizard of Westwood and the Baron who else would you rather see on the sideline? Maybe coach K but do you really want him on your bench!

5. cuzallstar
    7:01 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Cousins NBA western conference player of the week! GO BOOGIE!

6. Ahh
    7:04 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Where are all the “super fans” that come into every game day blog and call us trolls and fake fans for saying the things Cal’s saying here? You all think we’re trolls but we’re just people that know way more about basketball than you. We criticize and point out things the team is doing wrong just like the coach does. We don’t get excited about barely beating bad teams because we know you have to play great teams in the tourney. Enjoy your naive outlook and just stay away from the game day discussion if you can’t handle the truth.

• UK/Ark
      9:48 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Allow me to bow to your infinite basketball wisdom, but it must be terrible to never be able to enjoy a game! I know plenty about basketball, but I don’t get paid to stress over coaching them so I will let Mr. Cal do that job. I do, however, enjoy watching them play, and this team is getting better and better in spite of what you think.

7. Mike
    7:09 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

I like this team, but not one of them is ready for the NBA and won’t be at the end of the season, all should return.

8. PssGOUK
    7:12 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

#6 Ahh, I could not agree more with your post! Everyone wants to say what Cal said but when HE says it, he’s been out coached, etc. Can’t have it both ways! GO CATS!

9. Mich State Grad
    7:27 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

In my opinion, you guys are very talented. But you are just too soft.

10. Hendo Blue
    7:41 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

#9 post makes a lot more sense to me than #6. I think we have a green team that will continue to ripen by seasons’ end. But how far we take it might very well depend on the point that #9 makes. Are we gonna toughen up? I’d like to see WCS and Randle and Johnson knocking some people around. And if our guards can learn to pressure the ball, we’ll have a team. It’s gonna take the whole season, to get seasoned.

11. bigblue091812
    7:42 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Now that Andrew, Aaron and Alex are improving each and every game now it’s time to bash on Cal and how he can’t coach. I love how a lot of SLICK RICK lovers would still like to have him here and think he’s the best ever. He always had better talent and could always out coach Tubby, Tubby was 6-4 against Rick vs UL. Now Rick is a better coach that Cal but Cal is 5-1, I’m sure Pitino lovers really hated to see Billy G leave, Rick wasn’t out of his league there was he. By the way, check coaches winning percentages in games decided by 5 pts or less, you will see Cal, Tubby and Billy D at the top, if you want to see where SLICK RICK is look way down toward the bottom with Bill Self.

12. Hendo Blue
    7:59 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Go bigblue091812…go…you are the man.

13. klassact32
    8:29 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Why is Marcus Lee not playing more?

• Cats Fan
      9:00 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Jerry Tipton was wondering the same thing.

• Bunny
      10:09 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

No way Marcus should be sitting -unless there’s something going on we don’t know about…

14. Basketball Bennie
    10:23 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

UK needs to get A LOT better to be able to be a real Final Four contender. It is good that Coach Cal is calling them out now while there is time to make improvements.