Calipari has no plans to redshirt Tai Wynyard

wynyard

John Calipari took a break from combating NBA rumors to talk about his actual, current team in Lexington. One of the topics of discussion: Tai Wynyard.

On today’s SEC teleconference, Cal was asked about the possibility of Tai Wynyard sitting out the rest of the season and redshirting. He said he doesn’t think that will happen as he believes Wynyard will eventually be able to help the team at some point, once he gets into shape.

For now, Wynyard is stuck behind Labissiere as the staff tries to develop Labissiere into a regular contributor.

“I can’t just take those minutes and give them to Tai and get him going,” said Calipari. “You could do that if Skal was really playing well, if he didn’t need the minutes but he needs them.”

Back to the NBA thing, Cal said on the teleconference he appreciates his coaching job in Lexington and he is humbled to be here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Calipari has no plans to redshirt Tai Wynyard

1. BlueDeuce
    12:20 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

That statement says to me at least … I am working to get Skal in the draft this year. Tai isn’t eligible this year so he can work him next year. Plus, the front court will be loaded next year and Cal needs Skal to make the jump to the NBA or he’ll be back to platooning next year (might have to no matter).

2. bballdoc
    12:39 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

I just hope Skal will be able to contribute as much next season as Marcus Lee did in the second platoon last year. Skal will eventually be OK but he needs at least 3 seasons of college ball. 4 would be better.

3. Shawn Kemp
    1:02 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

Teams draft on potential. Skal could sit out the remainder of the season and be a lottery pick. Scouts saw all they needed at the UK combine.

@dallonadams

• smahurin
      1:54 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

I would actually agree with an asterisk. I think ultimately someone would draft Skal in the 1st round this year if he goes out because in a vacuum his length and ability to shoot will get someone to take the chance. But if he comes back I doubt he’ll ever be a 1st rounder again, similar to Alex Poythress (who would have gone in the 1st after his freshman season based on potential, but regardless of how well he plays from here on out will never regain that status).

While I hope Skal proves me wrong, and he should and can improve, the longer a player is in college the more the flaws get picked apart AND the thing people forget about is the older they get. College freshman are enticing people of their potential and their youth. Even if someone develops and gets better… they are supposed to. They are older.

While some kids may slightly improve their draft stock with development, the rise is usually minimal at best and typically they drop simply due to their age. There are kids in the NBA would are 19/20 who are playing significant minutes. If it took you till 20/21 to start being a force in college, the NBA right or wrong looks down upon that slow development.

And I don’t mean to be harsh, but people forget that a player can develop in the NBA just like they can in college. Even if they go to the “D” league. As a pro, where they are paid to play basketball, if they have the drive they can focus every hour of every day on getting better. They don’t have to split their time with classes and homework if they choose not to. If a players goal is to get drafted highly, the answer is almost always to go pro as fast as they can. If a players goal is to develop, that can be accomplished by either staying around OR going pro… people forget that. Thats why ready or not to contribute, its usually in a kids best interest to go pro at the first available opportunity, the system is simply set up that way whether we as college Bball fans like it or not.

4. KatsKlaws
    1:16 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

Skal will not be on this team next year…this talk of 2 or 3 years of him “developing” is ridiculous

• Megan
      4:35 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

You’re ridiculous if you think Skal will be on an NBA roster next year. So it seems to be an open question whether he’ll stay at Kentucky. Cal is consistently explaining to BBN that not everyone is on the same time table, that everyone develops at his own pace, and that there’s nothing wrong with that. I suspect he’s telling us this for a reason, don’t you?

5. Megan
    4:20 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

So Tai will have a hard time getting into the lineup because the guy ahead of him ISN’T playing well? Sounds a bit counter-intuitive, doesn’t it?

• Long Dong Silver
      4:35 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

Exactly. Wouldn’t trade Cal for anyone else…but sometimes I think he’s completely full of shit.

• Megan
      4:39 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

Well that’s where you and I differ.

• Long Dong Silver
      6:09 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

I’m sure we differ in more ways than that. I pee standing up. That’s another.

• theSkinny81
      8:58 pm January 11, 2016 Permalink

Long Dong Silver resorts to using insults to “win” arguments.