Calipari had little to say about overturned block/charge call

There was controversy late in the game when the officiating crew went to the monitor and overturned a blocking foul on Utah’s Riley Battin, assigning the foul to Tyrese Maxey on the drive instead. Maxey was attacking to potentially tie the ball game in the final minute when Battin backpedaled his way to the ground after contact. The collision in the lane was originally called a block; a judgment call that cannot be reviewed, according to the rulebook. But apparently the Wednesday night crew had a different interpretation of the rules because they stopped play, went to the tiny TV and awarded the two free throws over to Utah rather than Kentucky.

The refs say the review was to see if Battin was inside the arc, but that’s a poor excuse and an impossible one to believe. Battin was three or four feet outside the circle, which was clear as day in real time, and the official didn’t give the international hand signal for reviewing position near the circle. That hand signal is pointing to it.

When asked how the overturn was explained to him on the floor, Calipari would only say, “He just said ‘I’m allowed to go do it so I’m doing it.’ I said ‘OK.’ What am I going to say? So he did it, he changed it, and we still had our chance to make the three to take it to overtime.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Calipari had little to say about overturned block/charge call

1. dan1965
    5:34 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Dam Raiders,Patriots Brady tuck rule all over again. Refs change rules as they go along, especially I think if they wanted to see Kentucky lose.
    Earlier in the game a charge was called on a similar play,not sure who was driving ball for UK,but they showed replay as went to commercial.
    It was clearly nothing,the Ky guy sidestepped the Utah player as he drove,barely touching him,and the Utah dude flopped like hell !
    Pissed at several calls,still I’m upset with Richard and Montgomery also. Can’t believe Montgomery even considered thinking about entering draft last year,no where near ready. And Nick, for one his hands are awful, he can’t hold onto the ball, and I just don’t think he will do well against better competition.
    Whether that’s Nicks confidence and can change,I can only hope, but right now he nor E.J. inspires much confidence for me.

2. notFromhere
    6:05 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

What am i going to say? Wth!? Say it’s against the rules! Damn! Say “call your boss, and not the one in Vegas”

Get some cahones

3. KYJelly
    8:24 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I agree, this wasn’t bad-mouthing a ref because you feel they made a bad call, the Ref’s did something against the rules and Cal had every right to protest it. I was surprised he didn’t do it in the moment. I’d say he either wasn’t 100% sure on the rule. This needs to get brought up though so it doesn’t happen again

4. 4everUKBlue
    8:27 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

First time I’ve ever seen that done so of course it had to happen against Kentucky.

5. makeitstop
    8:33 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

We got the benefit of most of the bad calls. The flop should have been a technical and that last call should not have been overturned But it never should have been made because it was a charge. The referees did not cause our guards to go one for 12 from behind the line. They did not cause us to collapse and give help in the paint to a guy who should be able to guard and inferior big man one on one. They did not cause our center to leave his feet over and over to block a shot of a guy a foot shorter. And they did not allow ball with a straight line drives.

• makeitstop
      8:35 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

We own this. Despite having a week between games for the last month we were unprepared to play a decent team. That is the problem. It wasn’t past their bedtime, it wasn’t bad calls it was poor preparation and execution.

6. Boro Boy
    11:43 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

2-17 from 3 ….a team Cal called as 1 of his best possible perimeter teams he has had ….I know a few optometrist he may need to see