Calipari explains why we haven’t seen Sacha Killeya-Jones

sacha-killeya-jones

It’s safe to say Sacha Killeya-Jones has been an enormous disappointment in his freshman season, especially considering the preseason hype and the fact he has played a total of three minutes in two appearances in Kentucky’s last 11 games.

One person close to the program who knows a lot more than you or me recently told me the reason behind Killeya-Jones’ disappearance from the rotation is simple: he’s just not very good right now.

I’m guilty of buying in to the Killeya-Jones preseason hype, and spreading it, after I sat through a two-hour practice back in October and thought he looked good. I didn’t expect he’d be a star this season, but I thought for sure he would get decent minutes and provide a nice complement to Bam Adebayo inside.

Boy, was I wrong.

Today, John Huang asked Calipari to explain the mystery behind Killeya-Jones’ vanishment, to which Cal said, “He’s still working. He’s trying. Guys are ahead of him right now and that’s a hard deal… He’s a little bit behind, but I’ve had some individual meetings with him, talked to him, and he said, ‘I understood coming here that this was going to be hard, so I’ve gotta work through it.'”

So there ya go.

He’s a victim to the depth chart.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Calipari explains why we haven’t seen Sacha Killeya-Jones

1. GTx2
    3:08 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like SKJ has the right attitude though…..keep working man.

2. ukbradstith
    3:14 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Don’t buy it. He doesn’t even get walk-on minutes now. He would at least play the last minute of a blow out, or get one or two of Tai’s minutes. Hopefully he is still working hard and can be a solid 3 or 4 year program guy.

• jeffj
      5:28 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

don’t buy what ? the truth? hope he stays. however long it takes to be successful . i’m all in on him

• Luether
      3:08 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

He’s being Jon Hooded…

• UK Big Board Update
      2:10 am February 19, 2017 Permalink

Redshirt, dumbasses.

3. 2Dogs
    3:21 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

At least get the kid in there in a blowout to get him some minutes and some confidence. We’re up 25 against Tennessee and Cal doesn’t take out the starters until there’s 2 minutes left in the game.

• KYcats11
      3:27 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Because of the way we let our foot off the gas the past two games, he was keeping his starters in

4. DelrayCat
    3:31 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. Cal is tightening his rotation for March. Just a few short weeks to go and the starting core of youngsters need all the work they can get. SKJ is irrelevent this year, and frankly just not very good. Doubt he ever will be.

5. 2thepoint
    3:42 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like a tough day to be SKJ. My goodness, doesn’t anyone remember he came here knowing guys were ahead of him. Hang in there SKJ, don’t let naysayers get to you.

6. secrick
    3:49 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

I thought he looked good in clean up early.

7. Jiminy Crickets
    3:54 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

4 months ago:

Calipari told Killeya-Jones that 75 percent of NBA players deal with tendonitis in their knees and ankles, but they fight through the pain. That was an early challenge to the 6-foot-10 forward, and Killeya-Jones has apparently answered it.

Fast-forward to the Wildcats’ media day on Thursday, and listen to the change in Calipari’s tone:

“Sacha’s body is not the same as it was two and a half months ago,” he said. “They’re so young that it’s like putting water on a flower. They just start to blossom. Look, I knew Sacha was good — I wouldn’t have him here if I didn’t think he was good — but I didn’t know he was this good.”

• Jiminy Crickets
      3:55 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Now were supposed to believe he cant even play with the Walk-ons?

8. Aar
    4:01 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

He’s the youngest Cat. Probably has a conditioning issue due to his foul rate. I hope he gets good feedback from the coaching staff and takes it to heart over the summer (like Briscoe and Humphries) and does not do a second coming of Charles Matthews. I like him and want to see him come back more mature, fit and polished. Being from Chapel Hill (a program that likes to have guys for 4 years) I would not be surprised to see him get poached. They are hungry for 5-star McD AA’s.

Speaking of Matthews, it sounds like Michigan is a better fit for him. If so, I’m happy for him.

9. Sentient Third Eye
    4:15 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

So basically it’s that Humphries and Winyard are taking the backup minutes away from him.

10. Cals Hoverboard
    5:24 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

When we saw Sacha in the Big Blue Madness and blue white scrimmage (didn’t he have like 6 fouls in the first half of Blue/white) I thought he’d be someone to get in and mix it up but have a hard time staying out of foul trouble. I think he’s just getting used to having changed his body and frame in the weight room. The kid has a lot of talent but I also saw a lot of similarities to Skal, and we all know how that went last year. I also think that Cal is very cautious with Sacha and doesn’t want a repeat of the Skal experiment. As said so many times, these kids are all on different developmental schedules and we need to relax and let Sacha hit his stride. Obviously he’s not there yet. And since he seems to have a great attitude about it, let’s all pull for the kid. I, for one, am a big Sacha fan.

11. blueballs80
    5:43 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

BBN perception= he is good,reality = not there yet

12. UK Big Bored Update
    5:47 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Drew, thanks for the apology. Like Chas. Matthews, KENTUCKY is not for everybody.
    Since he’s been a member of La Familia, we’d love to know if, when, and where S K-J is headed next – if, indeed, that is the case.

13. A_Blue_Wildcat
    7:48 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Would be shocked if he didn’t transfer after this year, especially with the number of bigs coming in next season.

14. Tubby98
    7:49 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

I don’t care how raw he is, he should play before Wynyard or he doesn’t belong at UK..

15. chris43
    1:31 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

I hope he stays around the program and continues to work on himself. But it’s extremely strange that he doesn’t even get in with the walk ons during blow outs. It kinda makes you wonder but hopefully that isn’t the case. No offense to Wynard (as I’m sure he’s a good guy and has talent) but I’m just not sure that he’s on “UK’s level of players”. When he’s playing over SKJ……..?!?!?

16. terwilliger
    6:34 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Read between the lines guys. It’s grades.

Cal will NEVER come out and say that a player is struggling academically, but that’s what this is. For Cal to say what was quoted above early in the season (“I knew he was good but I didn’t know he was THIS good”) and now say he is so far behind Wynyard and Humphries that he can’t even get on the floor is just not adding up.

Let me be clear — I’m not mad at Cal for handling it the way he is. I think it’s pretty classy of him. But if you think Cal always tells the fanbase the truth, you’re being naive.