Calipari explains what went wrong in Baton Rouge

There are several reasons to be upset over the way the Wildcats played in Baton Rouge last night. Players can be called out individually for their disappointing performances, and in some cases, disappearances, but the Cats went down there as a team, they played like crap as a team, and they lost as a team. Calipari said after the game that his guys weren’t ready for the physicality of the game, and they should’ve seen it coming when LSU went big to start the game:

“They switched the starting lineup. I said they must be playing zone then. They went to a bigger lineup, but we didn’t know before. I thought they would play mostly man because that is what they play. The minute they went big I told the staff they are playing zone. Normally, we are better against a zone than we are man. So it didn’t bother me, but we weren’t ready for the physical part of the game. We weren’t ready for the energy of the game and the viciousness of the game. They beat us to every 50-50 balls from the beginning of the game to the end. That is why they won the game.”

Cal said they’re lucky the outcome wasn’t worse than it was. Insert the word “process”:

“When the other team outworks you, this is what it looks like. It was amazing we were in the game. We got down 16. It could have been 30. We fought to get back in it. We got back to where we were fine. We came out the second half and did the same thing. I had to call an immediate timeout. This team is in progress. It is all about the process. The process we are at right now is will we have the mental toughness to break through and be the kind of team we want to be. We didn’t show it tonight.”

Yes, it’s a process — we get it. But the clock is ticking.

Article written by Drew Franklin

180 Comments for Calipari explains what went wrong in Baton Rouge

1. barn
    10:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

i think we need to work on working and getting ready for games

• oldfan in lex
      11:12 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

…and when a team is not ready, who’s fault is that? IT IS THE COACH’S FAULT. Let’s stop blaming the players and start taking a look at the source or the problem. I bet you Tubby would have won by 10. Too bad we can’t keep Cal to recruit and hire a real coach.

• logic
      11:25 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

@oldfan….

Team full of freshman that is “not ready”…..is it the coaches fault on day one they arrive on campus, as well?

Is it the coaches fault in November?;December?;January?

Just curious where you’ve set that arbitrary threshold….

• Beavis
      12:01 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Tubby would win by ten,,,you must be joking.

12:12 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Billy G would have won by 20….

• Patrick
      12:42 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

@ logic
      Coaches job to get freshmen “ready” …

2. Brian
    10:44 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Always a process, always poised to breakthrough. Cal is the Obama of college basketball coaches, always selling some far-off promised unrealized potential after repeated huge failures.

1-7 in last 8 SEC road games.

• bmt22033
      11:12 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Love the Obama analogy!

• logic
      11:23 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

And where does the 2012 national title fit into the Obama analogy – was that a huge failure as well?

• Brian
      11:26 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Easy. Obama caught lightening in a bottle in 2008 the same way Cal did in 2011-2012 with MKG & Davis. Been living off of that ever since.

• logic
      11:37 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

With that analogy Obama would have two national championships (caught lightning in a bottle twice).

11:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal is the quintessential underachiever. He could pick the ten best players in the NBA and figure out a way to lose with them. Have them afraid to try to steal a ball,..or afraid to shoot too many threes,…or bench his best players and play some outside the top ten he picked. Have them thinking instead of just playing the game you’ve played all your life. Worried too much about body language or “clutter” or heart rate or whatever. So, yes Brian. I agree. Having two straight preseason ranked #1 teams the last two years and losing 17 games already halfway through the second season is UNDERACHEIVING!!!!! But he sure can sell snake oil to those who are dying to believe any and everything he says. Cal is the best recruiter I’ve ever seen, and the worst coach. And I wish we would learn how to play offense against a zone defense, so that we could finally start using a zone defense of our own. Seriously,..Cal actually said that. That we would have to learn how to play against a zone before we could try a zone. I rest my case.

• Teachable Mo'
      11:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

So, you’re saying that Billy Gillespie was the George W Bush of coaches?

• logic
      11:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

“Having two straight preseason ranked #1 teams the last two years and losing 17 games already halfway through the second season is UNDERACHEIVING!!!!!”

Good point, James Lee, except you failed to mention that this followed directly on the heels of a national championship….I guess that is underachieving as well.

11:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

P.S. And you ask where does the 2012 title fit in with the analogy? Two words! Anthony Davis!!!!! I’ll give Cal credit for his recruiting. I always did appreciate that. But without Anthony Davis and Terrence Jones, etc.,…he’s getting to where he still loses upwards of ten games per year (ala ten loss Tubby) even when he gets the best players in the nation. He has five star players that never get a minute of PT,..ala Marcus Lee. Cal can recuit them,..but he can’t coach them.

• White House
      11:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I think Tubby is probably more Bush I than Clinton, and vice versa with Rick.

• logic
      12:00 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

@James Lee…do you know what an analogy is?

“Two words: Anthony Davis” means nothing to the analogy unless you want to somehow relate it to the Obama admin….was anthony davis more like hillary…or perhaps jay carney?

12:08 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Actually I was responding your your mention of Cal’s 2012 title. So,..you are correct on this one thing,..my statement having no connection with the “analogy”. However,…you are 100% wrong on every other comment you have made on this thread!!!!! By any chance, were you also a Tub Apologist? You surely are the best Cal Apologist I’ve seen. Course, that’s jmo.The thing is, you are living in an alternate reality if you think Cal has done a good job these last two years and/or if you think he isn’t “always selling some far-off promised unrealized potential after repeated huge failures”, as Bran’s post originally said. Course you have the right to be wrong, I guess.

12:17 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I guess you could say I am more of a Billy G apologist, rather than Tubby; to each his own.

Considering that our national championship was won in April of 2012 and is thus within 2 years of today, yes I do think Cal has “done a good job these last two years”.

If winning national championships is only an alternate reality, I’d at least like to visit the place more often….

And, as in my original retort to Brian I will posit the same to you: was the 2012 national championship a “huge failure” as well?

12:21 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

“yes I do think Cal has done a good job these last two years”.

I rest my case.

12:27 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

We won a national championship in the last two years….I rest my case.

12:41 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

The NC was 2012. 2013 Cal loses to Robert Morris in the first game of the NIT. The 2014 version of Cal’s Cats has lost five games and we are basically halfway through the season. No,..the NC was in 2012, logic. Course I understand what you are “trying” to say. But I suspect that might just be the way a Cal Apologist would have it figure it out in his mind. 🙂

• Red Man
      3:10 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Obama’s brother-in-law would coach better than Cal…

3. Steven
    10:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

You”re sounding like a broken record. Cal. This ‘team’ has great talent but little in basketball fundamentals and even less in heart. Being a players first program they are biding time before the draft. They aren’t bringing it because they aren’t”t playing for kentucky only th selves. Your one and done isn”t cutting it.

4. SMOKE
    10:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Can we please stop wasting our time inserting Polson into the lineup. That kid brings NOTHING!!

• oldfan in lex
      11:19 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Most coaches would agree.

• fire before smoke
      11:23 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Dear Smoke: You are so WRONG on that comment.

• Aol
      11:31 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

He should be getting a bigger role actually.

• BigBlue37
      11:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

At least Polson’s body language on the court resembles that of a level-headed leader instead of Andrew hanging his head and slumping his shoulders AFTER EVERY MISTAKE! We don’t feel sorry for you Andrew, you were the #1 PG coming out of high school, you should know how to lead a team by now.

• HEART
      12:26 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Smoke: I would rather have someone like Polson that plays hard then have the twins that are lazy and slow.

• Turner the Burner
      12:46 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

HEART – We had Polson last year…. We lost

5. Shelton Tells It Like It Is
    10:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

This Kentucky team is a bunch of pansies. They lack the
    intestinal fortitude to compete in a physical game particularly
    on the road. How come other teams can stop our best player,
    but we can’t do the same to them? I hope Cal takes his circus
    act to the NBA next season and we hire a real coach. Some of
    you will respond to my post with insults, but those who know
    I’m right will agree or remain silent.

• oldfan in lex
      11:22 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree and I won’t remain silent any longer. The man is NOT a coach!

• logic
      11:27 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Do you have an idea what “real” coach you’d prefer?

11:52 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree with canning Cal. I’d love to see someone else. I do wish we could keep his recruits though. Cal gets an A Plus as a recruiter, and an F Minus at coaching them. Course that’s jmo. I guess everyone has a right to their own.

12:19 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Wow…the coach that won the national championship less than two years ago gets an F-….baffling.

For a program who hadn’t won a championship in the millennium and just coming off the heels of the Billy G saga you’d think UK fans would have a bit more humility.

Alas, the arrogance of the armchair coach knows no bounds….

• Bandwagon fans are hilarious.
      12:33 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Lmao at all you idiots. You guys have to be that small percentage of BBN that are wackos. What coach do you want? You idiots run cal off, do you honestly believe somebody else will be wanting to sign up for this pressure cooker? It wasnt that long ago we couldn’t get anybody to come to lex. Dixon, Donovan, Wright all said no. We had to settle for bcg for crying out loud! All you” monday morning qbs”need to shut up! A person doesn’t have the success cal has had in his career without knowing how to coach.

6. Cat Fan In Georgia
    10:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

As I posted earlier on the show thread…eight assists on 32 made field goals. That stat says a lot.

7. Gooch
    10:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal is a sunshine pumper like no other.

• Brian
      11:19 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I think that he thinks that we think that he poops ice cream.

8. Mitr Turbizdirty
    10:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

40-0!!!

9. beavis606
    10:48 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Screw all of that. Cal gets big $$$ to get this team ready. If they aren’t ready game after game after game then shake things up. You can’t just play Polson and Hawkins for 30 minutes, but you can damn sure put this starting lineup out there just to shake things up:
    Randle
    Dakari
    Poythress
    Young
    Polson

• Brian
      10:51 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hawkings for Polson

• jcatron
      11:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree with you 100% on the starting lineup. These may not be the guys with the most athleticism but they bring a ton more energy than anyone else. Randle and Young can still get you points. Poythress and Randle can still get you rebounds. Polson can run the point. Johnson is solid inside. Best lineup. I cant see where this team is better right now with the twins or WCS on the floor…

10. Rockfield, KY
    10:49 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal nailed it with his 2011 class because they were selfless and hard-nosed defenders. This class is incredibly talented, as was last year’s class, but they guys just don’t have that selfless team oriented mindset. Then once they’re down, they seem to just accept it. Plus they never use their brains. Cal needs to tailor his recruiting to getting defensive minded players in each class.

• symphonist41169
      11:09 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I still say the root of the problem is recruiting based solely on AAU play. Those kids are coddled & spoiled for years playing what amounts to semi-pro ball, where the final score of a game is meaningless and the only goal is padding your individual stats so Division I coaches will notice and offer a scholarship where they’ll play for a year (all expenses paid) before signing an NBA contract. If Cal is as sick as most of the rest of us of watching these brats play for the name on the BACK of the jersey as opposed to the name on the FRONT then he should start recruiting more based on what a kid does during his HS basketball season where hopefully there’s a little bit of pride in playing for your LOCAL school (not some trumped up “prep” school that recruits from across the country like colleges) and caring about the win-loss column.

• lawrence
      11:26 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Both wrong….it is the coach…we need a coach.

• logic
      11:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

@lawrence…I would prefer we have the coach that won the 2012 national championship….that guy really knows how to coach.

Who would you prefer we have?

11:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree with Lawrence,..fwiw. Logic,…anyone. Just.as long as we don’t have the coach that has taken TWO straight preseason #1 teams, and lost 17 games already halfway through the second season.

12:22 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Would you rather we be preseason unranked and lose 17 games?

Billy G would likely come back and deliver those results to you…if only we’d promise him a designated driver and an unlimited supply of Kentucky’s best bourbon as part of his contract.

12:32 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, I would. At least we would not be underachieving. If we are going to lose 17 games in a year and a half,..then it would not be quite so frustrating if we didn’t have such great players and talent from the start. If folks had not been talking 40 and 0, and now we’ve already lost 5 games. Not to mention getting beat out of the first round of the NIT last year (and Cal reassuring us it would not be the same way this year). I don’t blame the young men. They are as good as advertised. And they will have good and bad games. I blame the coach that can not take all this 5 star talent, and win when he goes up against inferior teams. Course, I’m no Cal Apologist, like you are.

12:45 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree because I would much rather be ranked preseason number 1 and finish the season number 2 (underachieving) rather than be preseason ranked number 100 and finish 99th (overachieving).

It’s interesting also that you use a 1 and a half year time frame, knowing that a 1 year and 10 months time frame would include us winning a national championship. Funny how you don’t “blame” Cal for taking all that 5 star talent in 2012, losing to inferior teams (Vandy SEC championship, for example) and then winning a national title…..yes, let’s just blame him for the bad without acknowledging the good.

I might do that…but I’m not a Cal antagonist (or a fair-weather fan) like you.

• John809
      12:57 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Julius Randle and the Harrison twins are from Texas and it shows. The quality of the opposition they faced in high school must have been terribly inferior compared to what players from other part of the country face in high school. As a result they just looked good. Now that they are playing against good players and good teams they are being exposed as just average players, or maybe just a little bit better than average.

11. Brian
    10:50 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’d disagree that this team has just loads of “talent.” Athletic ability does not necessary equal basketball talent.

WCS can’t make more than 45% from the free throw line and can’t score outside of 2 feet. Not one smidgen of basketball talent to be found there, he just happens to be tall and a good athlete, he isn’t any better at basketball than he would be at any other sport probably.

12. BS
    10:51 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal is the best and we need to trust in him but this process has been going on for almost two years now. So maybe he should try a different solution to “the process” because what he’s been doing isn’t working that’s obvious.

13. Steven
    10:51 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Most UK fans can bear the losses but won’t tolerate the lack of effort. You need to find a new process coach

14. PhilUK18
    10:52 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I generally try not to rip on players individually, but today I’m making an exception. Anyone who has watched WCS this year and chooses to waste a lottery pick on him should be out of a job very, very soon. I know the NBA often drafts on potential, but Willie just doesn’t have it. And by “it” I mean offensive skill, desire, heart, a basketball IQ, or any mental or physical toughness. He’ll be lucky to have a career playing basketball in Kazakhstan, as you can see from his performances against any team with even competent big men.

12:00 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Dakari Johnson should have been starting and getting the majority of the PT from Day ONE. You’d think a coach could figure that one out,..but Cal can’t. He has no clue!

12:28 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

The amazing part is that you figured it out from the comfort of your coach too!

12:35 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

“comfort of my coach”???

15. TampaCat
    10:53 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Not being ready for a game start to finish means only one thing; coaching is non existant. Cal, let your assistants coach while you recruit.

11:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like a plan! I like it.

12:29 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

What do you think the assistants would do differently in order to force the players to play with more intensity (as Cal continually pushes them to do already)?

16. beavis606
    10:53 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

And I’ll add I’m pretty freakin’ sick of Willie. Don’t act like a bitch on the bench because your man made you look like a fool. You should be used to it by now since you are getting lit up every single game.

17. Doubting Thomas
    10:57 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I love the CATS and coach Cal. They are my coach and team. I refuse to talk negatively about them. Hopefully they will start playing better soon. Take a look at our Lady Wildcats and it is easy to see where a lack of confidence leads a team. Self doubt, tentativeness, passive play and overall poor play. Did you notice how LSU played??? Just the opposite, confident, aggressive, a we’re going to win attitude and playing above expectations.. Time we started showing some confidence and support for our team and coach.

18. UK Terry
    10:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I know Willis is not a great defender, but neither are any of the guys playing. The kid puts in extra work to get better, but is buried on the bench. Cal said recently that Derek made 55 three-pointers in a 5 minute drill. He can’t help bust zone defenses? I guess, as another UK coach once intimated, I “don’t really understand basketball”.

19. Steady
    10:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Talk about overrated, the twins were vastly overrated. It’s not their fault, but, they are slow of foot, can’t guard a tree, and not good shooters or passers or ball handlers. LSU and Arkansas are average basketball teams. SMH.

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      12:08 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree. I guess at 6’6″, in HS & AAU, they could use their size to simply overpower other guards. They’ve seen that doesn’t work in D1 college basketball. They are consistently outplayed by “lesser” rated guards. Their total lack of defense leads to a breakdown of team defense and the bigs picking up fouls. Yet, Cal still refuses to not show them any significant bench time. Cal can stick his “process” where the sun doesn’t shine. I’m tired of his marketing talks and lack of results. Insanity is continuing to do the same thing, but expecting different results. ie Cal.

20. Trey Workman
    10:59 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Tired of hearing Cals excuses! He instills zero confidence in his players, all he does is jerk them out of the game and scream at them (great motivation) and it’s not working! He refuses to go deeper in his bench, hell, we don’t even have an out of bounds play! Dribble drive? Really, looks like an offense you find on any playground hoops court. Maybe it’s time for Cal to think abut the NBA! It was a good three year run but the last two have been a debacle! NIT bound again!

21. Sk54
    11:00 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Constipation is a process…..but even the end result is a pile of shit!

• dc
      12:05 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Without a doubt, the BEST comment on here!

22. whodat
    11:00 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

enough excuses… get it done!

23. Patrick
    11:00 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Tired of hearing the same bs coach! Effort and teamwork !!! Make that sh*t happen! ….It IS your job

24. DustinUK
    11:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree. Last night the movie quote that came to mind about this team was from Braveheart, where the king says “the mere sight of him (the prince) would only encourage an enemy to invade the rest of the country.” UK’s mental weakness just encourages the other team to beat our ass.

25. DP
    11:02 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

So you’re saying you were outcoached?!?! by a no name LSU coach?

26. Ugly muffin
    11:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Question: Why doesn’t Randle get benched when he goes into “I don’t give a crap” mode? Once he quits he never wakes back up, why not let Lee go out there and battle then watch Julius play like a bum? Same with the Harrison’s. They start pouting and quit competing yet they still play 30 minutes…WHY? Didn’t Cal say he would use the bench for situations like this? I’d rather have a less talented kid working his butt off then watch a “superstar” be a baby for 2 hours.

• Patrick
      11:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

nice..i agree completely

27. Lance
    11:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I sat directly behind the UK bench (first row) at the UK/Vandy game earlier this month. I was sitting with a friend of mine who played high school and college basketball and is currently a basketball coach/athletic director of a local high school. I noticed that the Harrisons, Poythress and Randle continually looked over at Cal looking for his reaction. I wasn’t sure if they were looking to see if he was going to yell at them, take them out, tell them what they did wrong, etc. Even if they just missed a shot, they would look at Cal. I mentioned to my friend that I had never noticed that when I watched the games on TV. I said that it appeared that they were looking for Cal’s approval. He disagreed. He told me that they just didn’t know what to do, and they were waiting for Cal to tell them. I didn’t understand, but he said that he has been playing and coaching long enough to tell when a player had no idea what to do, and he said that the Harrisons, Poythress and Randle have no clue what is going on out there. In his own words, he said he didn’t think they “were that smart”. Not to say that they were stupid, or that they were not good students. He simply felt like they had significantly low basketball IQ’s. This solidified for me what me people have suggested among the UK fanbase. I think these kids have been able to overwhelm their opponents with their physical gifts and have not had to “think” on the basketball court.

That being said, I think I’m willing to give Cal a little slack on this one. I realize that he recruited these guys and these are the guys he wanted, but it’s difficult to teach adjustments and offense at this level when you have players on the floor that are essentially incapable of digesting information quickly enough to make appropriate decisions. Again, I’m not saying that these kids are stupid. From all accounts, this is a very intelligent group. There is just now way they are equipped to handle this level of basketball at this stage. I also think this team is unusually emotional, and are going to get too high with the “high’s” and too low with the “low’s”. Watching the game from the bench gave me a new perspective, and I think Cal needs to cool it a little. Beating up these kids is only going to kill their confidence.

• rahrah
      1:33 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree with everything you posted especially the last sentence. They just look dazed and confused in the tough games.

28. KentuckyJoe
    11:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I am now getting scared of who might COME back next year. WCS, Harrisons, maybe better if they don’t come back. The rest of the world is figuring out Randle can only move on his left and he really struggles with big boys. He’s gone, but not sure I will miss him. I think he is getting less effective with time and teams figuring him out. Will miss Young. If AP goes would miss him a little. OK, I will love any of them that come back, but maybe spread the PT around. Still having trouble with last night. Forgive me.

12:31 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yea lets just get rid of them all…where’s Mark Coury when you need him!?

29. ATB (Always True Blue)
    11:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

It’s simple. You can’t defend you can’t win. Martin called out Randle and said he doesn’t post defend well and he is right. Andrew Harrison is too slow to defend a PG like Hickey. The only Kentucky starters that deserved to be on the floor last night were Young (who is a top 15 talent), Dakari, and Poythress. Polson gave effort but let’s face it he is not a great defender. Hawkins has the speed and athleticism to defend the point. If Cal can coach, he is going to do one of two things. He will switch to a zone defense or if he goes man he must look at his matchups. If we are playing against a solid quick PG. Then he has to go with Hawkins at the point. If Randle doesn’t want to play defense put in Johnson, Stein, Lee, or Willis. It’s time for this team to wake up and Cal is the coach he has to do it. I think he can. When my 8 year old looks at me last night and out of the blue with no one talking he says Dad, if they can’t defend they can’t win a championship. The problem is pretty obvious. Every game we lost this year we got out physicalled, outran, and outhustled.

• Still the best
      12:38 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

problem is Dakari couldn’t guard a stop sign

30. Sk54
    11:07 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

We will end up with a 6 or 7 seed and get bounced in the second round. If we get down in a potential last game of the season, these guys will lay down just to get the season over so they can move on. Only a few guys even care and those guys are the ones who don’t play or are coming back.

31. UK FAN
    11:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The way the season is going its looking like a progress for an 7-8 seed with a 2nd or 3rd round NCAA exit

32. BHoward
    11:11 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

One of the epic failures of college basketball. This recruiting class came in as one of the best, if not the best class, ever. I would call them major underachievers. The Harrison twins are the biggest underachievers on the team. Lot of hype coming in, lot of nothing on the court.

33. We Get it Cal
    11:11 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal, we get it. “They didn’t play, we gave up” yada yada yada.

How about doing a little more coaching? How about coaching to win rather than padding a guy’s NBA stock?

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THAT RANDLE HURTS US? I understand he is the best player on the court. He should get more minutes than anyone but you have to out of your mind if you do not see how he hurts us. When he goes to the bench our team runs very smoothly. They rotate, move the ball and just look more fluid. Insert Randle and it goes to crap (most of the time) The reason is simple, when he touches he feels as if he HAS to shoot it over 4 defenders to show the NBA guys what he is all about. We all know what happens, he turns it over. 4 wide open teammates and he wants to be a super hero. It’s not just him that is selfish. We have many players that only care about the name on the back of the jersey.

We get it Cal, your broken record execuses are crystal clear. We are just tired of the same ole excuses. That “clutter” comes along with the boys you put on our team, I suggest you step up your game at dealing with the clutter or quit recruiting players with clutter.

34. twocoach
    11:13 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

This is the type of players you run the risk of having when your message in recruiting is “You can come here and do what you want to do” versus “You will come here and play together in our system”. The Harrison twins don’t get it. Randle doesn’t get it. WCS doesn’t get it. Quite frankly, CAL doesn’t get it at this point.

Kentucky is going to lose @Mizzou and will probably lose their road games @Ole Miss and @Florida as well as at home vs. Florida. They have zero solid wins and multiple losses to teams outside the RPI Top 50. I will expect them to be abvout a 8/9 seed in the tourney and lose in their first or second game.

35. Doug Gottlieb
    11:22 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

How you fellas like me now?

36. 2mites
    11:24 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The short of this is, this team cannot cut it. Poor shooting, one of the worst I have seen in a long time, no energy, getting beat badly in the paint by everybody now and overrated players. Every team we play has at least one freshman better than most of ours. WCS needs to sit plain and simple. He quit football because of the physical part and he quits during the game of BB for the same reason. Randle cannot handle the physical part and is becoming a defensive liability and still a turnover machine. Love Young and Dakari and Alex and that should be our front line. At guard we are just lost and like last year that is what kills this team.

37. Patrick
    11:25 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

i just went to espn.com and opened the poll questions, one of the questions is “Will John Calipari win another championship?” ..and the majority says NO. Im pretty sure that says alot about our coach right now ..disappointing

38. UKBlue
    11:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Love Cal but he has to admit his own mistakes, change & adjust. Something is not working, Cal must be willing to adjust. At this point in the season, gotta start looking at the coaches. Cal can’t keep spinning this, something is clearly broken.

• gooch
      11:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

well said UKBlue

39. asdf
    11:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

These kids are still further along than Cal’s second team, and they came together to make the Final Four. So I haven’t given up hope yet.

That said, last night was one of the few times when down the stretch I didn’t want the Cats to come back because LSU deserved it more and winning would have only reinforced UK’s bad habits.

• logic
      11:44 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Well said, thank you for having some perspective unlike the bandwagoners and armchair coaches that populate this thread.

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      12:18 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Further along in what way? That Final Four team had beaten 3 ranked teams prior to hitting a slump in SEC play. This team has been in a perpetual slump. So please explain how they are further along.

• HawaiianCat
      12:22 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I would respectfully disagree with any comparison to the 2011 Final Four team. The 2011 team struggled to win conference road games while they searched for an offensive identity, but they played solid defense and gave great effort every night. This team will never turn the corner like the 2011 team because they simply do not possess the collective will to “lock it down” defensively and stop a talented, we’ll-coached team from scoring.

40. RUKiddingme
    11:32 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I keep hearing about how talented this team is. I disagree, to an extent. Randle is a talented kid. Young has some talent. The twins have some talent with the ball in their hands, but in no other area. Mainly, these kids are ATHLETIC. There is a big difference. Talent translates to good play. Athleticism translates to bad basketball with some crazy dunks sprinkled on top of it.

41. JustTheFacts
    11:32 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

10 Facts:

1) This “team” is lazy, selfish & slow.
    2) They do not make the extra pass.
    3) Their defense is horrendous.
    4) They don’t hustle & look like they could care less about it.
    5) This is not the most talented freshman class in NCAA or even UK history.
    6) WCS is a role player at best.
    7) Randle must have the smallest hands in the NCAA. Hold on to the ball!
    8) No one on this team could step in now and start in the NBA.
    9) Cal looks burned out.
    10) They are NOT improving. Same mistakes as the beginning of the year.

42. logic
    11:33 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

For all of those who are blaming Cal for this loss and suggesting he is “NOT a coach”, I would love to hear what you (armchair coach) would have suggested he done differently?

Play Hawkins instead of Polson? Cattle prod the guys if they refuse to start the game with energy?

And what about that shiny national championship…amazing we won that one without a coach, no?

Do tell…

• RUKiddingme
      11:43 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’ll give it a shot… Similar to Rick Pitino, Cal is a terrible game coach. It cost him a NC at Memphis down the stretch against Kansas, and will continue to lose games that way. It is not that he can’t be. Again, like Pitino, he goes with what he came with each game and it’s the players fault if it doesn’t work. I g

The main difference between them is Cal is merely teaching fundamental basketball to young, hyper-athletic kids. Cal cannot beat you with less talent. I don’t think he’s terrible, but he is not a great coach. A great coach would play at least some zone with this size, instead of losing games due to training guys for the NBA by only playing man.

• Patrick
      11:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Its the coaches job to put the pieces together to have a WINNING team. It looks like he has the pieces (talent, athleticism, etc.) …so HE needs to figure it out. You know like the year he won the championship. He IS the coach after all

• Syrin
      11:49 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I don’t blame Cal. What I think he should have done was bench the twins for the rest of the game. Their D was horrible and was a big reason they scored nearly 90 points. That airball by Andrew was clutch. Aaaron threw up another air ball on a three that happened to hit the back board and go in on a fluke shot. Once it was clear we were going to lose with those two, the message needed to be sent. If they weren’t 5 star recruits, or were white guys, he would have benched them for the entire second half. He lets them play based on their high school accolades regardless of in game performance.

• BigBlue37
      11:54 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

These kids don’t have the basketball IQ and “Team before me” mentality to play zone, where all 5 players have to move cohesively for it to be effective.

• logic
      11:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

@syrin…yes, I agree about the twins. They had a nasty attitude all game and probably should have been sat; Aaron’s -19 point impact on the team says it all (as if his body language and lack of intensity didn’t tell you enough).

I’m just not willing to take these issues and raise them too “Cal is NOT a coach!”

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      12:33 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Let’s be honest. That 2012 trophy is due primarily to a once in a lifetime talent named Anthony Davis. They won in spite of Cal’s coaching abilities and not because of them. Secondly, that team had experienced players that were major contributors and provided on the floor coaching and a steadying influence. Then there was also MKG who created the energy and personality of that team, not Cal.

As to what he could have done differently last night…..The twins were atrocious, so why didn’t Hawkins get major minutes? Poythress had his typical solid game, but only got 17 minutes. Was that a good coaching decision? Outside shooting was bad, yet Cal didn’t even attempt to use Willis as a possible catalyst. Why didn’t he use Marcus Lee to try to inject some energy or at least waste some fouls trying to slow O’Bryant? The twins and Young can’t guard a fence post, so why is the season 2/3 gone and there is still no zone defense to help hide this weakness? Bottom line, Cal has shown time and again he has no clue how to utilize his bench.

43. Dr Suess
    11:33 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

What happened to the old adage, “the bench is the best motivator”? Supposedly, we left players in the game last year, even though they were playing poorly, because we had no bench. We were supposed to have a deep bench this year to alleviate that problem. Last night, I saw several players not giving maximum effort yet they were in the game for 25-30 minutes. This game was the time to put in Lee, Hood,Willis or more Hawkins. I am tired of the on-court sulking. Even though Brandon Knight’s team lost just as many games, we never got down on them because they gave great effort every game. We knew a team with that much fight had a chance to succeed. It sounds like we have already thrown in the towel on this group. One positive is that Young looks like he is trying to show some missing leadership.

44. fireant
    11:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

These kids need to grow up and realize it isn’t high school anymore. They are playing against people that hate Kentucky and hate the hype this recruiting class received. If they don’t man up they will all get labeled in a very bad way. The Harrison Twins better have an attitude adjustment before they go pro or they will be playing in Iran. Their cry baby behavior doesn’t cut it in major college and it certainly won’t cut it in the NBA. Randle and Young are gone for sure, all others should be back. These guys have no shot at a title this year. Too inexperienced. Next year with the incoming class and this group being a year older should do the trick. Hate to say it but it is true. Hope I a wrong.

45. Orney focker
    11:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

What the hell is Cal talking about? I thought they would play man, he has to be the biggest dumbass in coaching to make that statement. Everybody has played zone all year, because they know we are impatient rookies that can’t shoot and continue to keep rushing down the court and drive the lane and throw up a circus shot or throw up a three with 30 seconds left on the shot clock. Man I hope everybody will finally see through all his bullish!t, and blame him instead of the players. After all the one in charge is the one to blame, but he would be a perfect presidential candidate with his, it not my fault excuses.

• logic
      11:40 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, I fully blame coach cal for our national championship, as well.

46. Orney focker
    11:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Number 42 “logic” is really coach Cal in disguise. ;-0 hahaaaa

• logic
      11:42 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Regardless of whether I am Cal or not, you avoided responding to my questions because you have no logical response.

Cheers.

12:17 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

No,..logic is just a Cal Apologist!!! Does not matter how bad the team looks or how many games we lose to inferior teams. logic will find a logical way (in hisown mind) to excuse Cal’s poor coaching. Simple as that.

12:33 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

And you continue to avoid answering the questions of the Cal apologist…because you are a Cal antagonist….Cheers

12:52 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

And what question did you pose to Ornery that he did not respond to? I am not Ornery. I am James Lee. But I fail to see any question you posed to Ornery. Not very logical to say he “avoided responding to your questions” unless and until you pose the question first. But I do not agree with Ornery when he says you are really Cal in disguise. No,…you are just your typical Tub Apologist,..no more, no less.

12:54 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Er,..excuse me. I meant “Cal Apologist”. But I kind of suspect you would have been one of the Tub Apologists back then too. Am I right?

12:58 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Oh,….I meant, “Orney”. Not Ornery. Though he is a bit ornery when it comes to his opinion on Cal’s coaching and Cal Apologists. So am I.

47. logic
    11:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

When we win it’s thanks to the players; when we lose it’s because we have a terrible coach.

Any other basic rules I need to know in order to join the UK bandwagon fanclub?

• Patrick
      12:07 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Did he get carried by great players for that national championship? This team looks like it could be a great team so why isn’t it? It always comes down to the coach. Its his job, responsibility. Its not looking good for him right now after last year and this year so far. Fans want results from this GREAT coach and its not happening

12:11 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

So, your point is that when he wins with his players it’s the players fault and when he loses with his players it’s his fault?

Just want to make sure I understand you clearly.

• Patrick
      12:20 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Everything that happens with the team, good or bad, is his fault. When you have the same great caliber players every year why would you do great one year and not the next? Its always on the coach to get winning results and hes not. Why? …because of sorry coaching at the moment. Understand now??

12:26 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

No,..he won’t understand, Patrick. He’s a Cal Apologist, fyi & fwiw.

12:36 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

@Patrick….gotcha.

By your logic Cal was the best coach in college basketball in 2012 but is a “sorry” coach at the moment. I wonder what changed – less Orange Leaf in his diet? If we get the best coach in basketball to win us a national championship every four years (as Cal has done thus far), count me as content.

I understand now, thank you.

• Patrick
      12:50 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

@agreed….gotcha
      I didnt call him a sorry coach. Try reading again “sorry coaching at the moment” is what i said…hes got the same great talent of 2012 this year and he had it last year. So whats wrong?? Coaching!! You obviously dont understand, your welcome

48. Orney focker
    11:44 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Open your eyes bluegrass, why do we continue to look away? look what happened to Penn St by looking away. Just sayin

49. Syrin
    11:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The zone defense wasn’t the problem. We scored over 80 points. We damn near gave up 90. That was the problem.

50. Orney focker
    11:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Just wait, that 2012 trophy will go back to the NCAA, and wins will be vacated. Then what?

12:09 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Really?

What reason will it be vacated for, oh nostradamus?

51. T-bone
    11:50 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Play other people. I realize Jon Hood is not as talented as some of the others, but play him to send a message. Play Marcus Lee. He hustles. Play some of the guys who are not primma donnas to send a message that you have to work hard and play hard.

• Agreed
      11:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

What’s the worst that’s going to happen? We get down 16-4 or 22-6?

52. T-bone
    11:52 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Oh yeah..one more thing. Any coach who absolutely refuses to play zone at any time for any reason is stupid. Cue Billy Gillispie.

53. Orney focker
    11:53 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The problem is selfishness and finger pointing and making excuses, that is the problem. Cal is blaming the players that he is coaching, so that makes him the problem! That and a real coach owns him every time, unless he is at Rupp where we cheat.

54. Orney focker
    12:00 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

We lose because of stubbornness from Cal to not play a zone, in which he stated” this team would be a great zone team” I can’t stand him, the biggest, tell you what you want to here, fake, sleezeball in coaching. Period.

12:26 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Sure wish we had you as a coach….how did you figure everything out when you have never coached D1…amazing!?

55. Grim Jeeper
    12:01 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m tired of having a team that is a work in progress. I want a team that has experience, a team that has been through the battles. I’m tired of Calipari, sure, he’s a great recruiter, but I think he is a horrible coach. Tubby Smith produced more during his time at UK, without great recruiting classes. Derrick Willis is riding the pine when he should be playing, but Cal says he’s a liability on defense and he’s just a freshmen, HELLO!!! They’re all frshmen and they’re all a liability on defense. What happened to the promise about this team having depth and if you don’t play well, you don’t start? I think Matt Jones, Drew Franklin and KSR are partially to blame for this. They hype these kids before they even get to campus, building them up to something they aren’t, before they earn anything. We’re at the midpoint of the season and we still don’t know what this team can accomplish and at the same time Jones and company are praising the next class of Mickey D all americans, ridiculous!! This team is a carbon copy of last year’s team, with more depth and if they continue to play effortless basketball, they will be headed to the NIT for the second year in a row.

• PhilUK18
      12:16 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I stopped reading after you said Tubby produced more than Cal, because I assumed everything else was going to be just as stupid. Calipari had 2 Final 4s and 1 title after 3 years. That’s 1 more Final 4 than Tubby ever made. I’m annoyed by the loss too, but don’t pretend Tubby was some basketball mastermind who won all the time.

• sue
      1:16 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I concur, Phil. Last thing I would want would be to bring back the Tub. Cal can recruit at least. But he nor the Tub can coach.

• Grim Jeeper
      1:49 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m not saying Tubby Smith is John Wooden, I’m saying go back an look at the records. Tubby took UK to multiple Sweet 16’s, multiple Elite 8’s, he won numerous SEC Titles, both regular season and post season, sure, he choked on the big stage, but he never had a class full of super freshmen. Tubby had players who fought night in and night out, players that were tough, players that understood what it means to wear that jersey with Kentucky across the front. That’s all I’m saying. You didn’t seem to disagree with the rest of my post, so you must agree on some level. You take away the NBA lockout and Jones and Lamb go pro. Take Jones and Lamb off the 2012 team and UK probably doesn’t win the national title that year.

56. bluegrassstu
    12:01 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

My fiancée made a comment to me not long ago, and I am starting to wonder if she has a point. The comment? She thinks it is very likely that Calipari may be receiving compensation from the NBA to develop the players to be NBA players. Thus the players playing as individuals and not as a team.

• Grim Jeeper
      12:05 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

That would be a good theory or conspiracy or whatever, if these kids were actually ready for the NBA, heck most of these guys couldn’t play in the D League at this point.

12:08 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal already earns about a million dollars month…why would he be so stupid as to do something illegal for a few more bucks?

57. CB
    12:04 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

So what are we saying if UK beat Missou at Missou on Saturday?

I for one still think this group of players can become a team. They have unbelievable individual talent, have to blend that together as one. This group is taking longer than any of us expected.

With that said, WCS needs less minutes until he’s back to focusing on defense and rebounding. They need to start swarming Randle with triple teams every practice with WCS, Lee and Johnson so he can learn to adjust more. They need to develop one standout perimeter defender, don;’t know who, maybe Young. They need to bring the pads back out and start knocking the crap out of everyone when they go into the lane.

I still believe, but let’s develop some toughness and a togetherness as team!

58. KS
    12:04 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

This team does not have a Cousins, Knight, or MKG. Guys that do not enjoy losing and do anything to avoid it. This team (like last years) does not have a guy like that. All the guys that play this year look like they don’t care if they lose. They don’t get mad or pout when the team is getting beat or they are down 10. They get mad and pout when they don’t think they (individually) look good or they get a bad call.

59. Beavis
    12:05 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Using some of the same logic I see in these comments I guess Alabama better get rid of Saban.

12:07 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Exactly. Where is Billy G to bring entitled cats fans down to Earth when you need him?

• RUKiddingme
      12:08 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Saban didn’t lost to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT last year, buddy.

• Beavis
      12:15 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Get off last year or maybe you want to go all the way back to the Texas Western game. You missed the point entirely.

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      12:47 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

1) When Cal has 4 national championships under his belt, then you can start comparing him to Saban. 2) Even with that, let Saban have 2 back to back years like Cal is having and you can bet the Crimson Tide faithful will be calling for his head.

60. SP
    12:12 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

When the process doesnt produce results, you change the process.

12:22 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

National championship two years ago would suggest “the process” has at least minimal efficacy, no?

• Patrick
      2:21 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Process TWO years ago… key word “minimal”

61. Orney focker
    12:12 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Should have played the Freak defence, after all Dale Brown was there. It couldn’t have been any worse than that pathetic excuse for defense last night, four guys within one foot of each other on one side of the floor, ten feet from the basket,wide open dunk for LSU on the other side. Big wide open spot from the foul line to the basket, rebound and dunk for LSU. And truthfully if LSU would have not been such a terrible team, they would have beat us by forty! Worse defense in the league.

62. rukiddingme
    12:17 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I am really “Processed-Out”.

63. Orney focker
    12:18 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

The definition of insanity I believe is; Repeating the same process over and over and expecting a different result. Looks like where we are right now.

• Beavis
      12:23 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

LOL,,,,,you talking about politics or sports ?

12:24 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

That is Einstein’s definition, at least…it follows that we should expect one national championship and one trip to the final every 4 years….lest we be deemed “insane” that is.

64. The Professor
    12:22 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Gang, there is no perfect coach. Half of you are wanting to replace a guy who won a title 2 years ago and has been to 2 of the last 3 Final Fours. Yes, this season has been disappointing, to this point, but look on the bright side. Because most of these young players have struggled they should be back for another year and we will finally have some experience on the court. Think about past players and how much improvement they showed from their first year to the second. If you remember, Mashburn shot something like 16% from 3 point range his freshman year.

• PhilUK18
      12:30 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Thank you! Excellent post. The same complainers now were the same people complaining that Tubby didn’t recruit well enough, I’m sure. From now on I’m going to refer to that wing of the fan base as the Goldilocks Brigade, because they complain that “this coach doesn’t recruit well enough! This coach recruits too well!” And they aren’t ever going to find one that’s just right, because they’re miserable idiots

• Beavis
      12:39 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Would that be the same Tubby Smith that Minnesota fired ?

• PhilUK18
      12:44 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Beavis- well, yeah, but you missed my point. I never said complaints about Tubby weren’t valid, I was just pointing out the stupidity of fans who are now advocating we ditch Cal and go back to the way Tubby used to recruit, when we already tried that and it didn’t work.

• Beavis
      12:51 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yep,,,,I missed your point. However, the fans have a right to their opinions. Even the ones that think we should ditch Cal. Don’t agree with them but they are entitled to believe that if they wish.

• goukgo
      2:18 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree. I don’t want Tubby’s recruiting methods, but there has to be a balance between good recruiting and good coaching. You see it with Coach K and Izzo, why can’t we have that here?

• Patrick
      2:40 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

@goukgo
      I agree. Out of all the top schools, top coaches, top recruiting classes, top talent, etc. It seems like UK has the most inconsistent stats year after year. As a UK fan this has always aggravated me. Disappointing..

65. Narrisistic Cannibal
    12:28 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I am very hungry. Pleas keep feeding me the negativity and I will “devour” you.

66. Patrick
    12:30 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Everybodys getting defensive about Coach Cal. Personally i dont think hes a bad coach and i definitely dont want him gone. It just seems like hes making alot of bad decisions

• goukgo
      2:16 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Well, making “a lot of bad decisions” is not what a good coach is supposed to do.

• Patrick
      2:24 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

True. Hopefully he’ll turn things around and prove he’s not a bad coach. Hopefully…

67. One and Done Phil
    1:12 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal has and will continue to loose at his one and done plan. Its time for a make over cal or you need to go!!!
    I say give me the W.S Shockers coach in the #BBN and let the magic happen.

68. One and Done Phil
    1:13 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

SHOCKERS COACH 4 #BBN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69. Skeps
    1:18 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Can someone please explain to me how Cal thinks they’re better against a zone than man-to-man? He gets paid millions of dollars and he still can’t figure it out.

70. tuxedo park no more
    1:29 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

This is insane… Cal’s first team was amazing, should have one a NC. Second team came together and played great in the tournament. Third team was unstoppable. Last year sucked, and I don’t think Cal would disagree. This year we ended up recruiting some kids who just haven’t put it all together yet. We’ve seen flashes. We know that freshmen take some time to gel and that getting consistent defensive effort out of them is rare. They laid an egg last night and LSU played out of their minds. And we were still in the game at points. I hate to see UK lose, and I was disgusted with the team last night. But I have faith in the coaching staff. And they know that a team full of freshmen winning the NC is a long shot, so I think Cal is changing his recruiting tack a little bit to adjust to that.

• goukgo
      2:15 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

He had better change it because it is not working now.

71. Detours
    1:58 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal wouldn’t make a pimple on Tubby’s ass when it comes to ‘coaching’ a team.

• goukgo
      2:13 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree. Tubby is a good coach. I just wished he had recruited better.

72. goukgo
    2:13 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I am sick of hearing Cal’s excuses. He needs to face it, this system cannot be consistent. You can’t start over every year and expect to have a great season. History shows that doesn’t work. There maybe occasions when it works, like the 2012 team, but that is rare.He is a great recruiter, but an average coach and he needs some experience on the roster that can actually contribute, especially in hostile environments like at Arkansas and LSU. Otherwise, we can keep have the same results most years.

73. Red Man
    2:59 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Coach Cal will never achieve greatness at UK. The promises he uses to recruit has a kid has the kid coming into UK thinking “TEAM ME”! The one and Done promise will be the demise of Coach Cal.

74. Steve
    3:01 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal needs to make these changes:
    1. Take WCS off the top of the press. UK’s press doesn’t accomplish anything except layups & wide open 3s for the opposing team. Against LSU, they scored 3 layups and hit 3 wide open 3-pointers against the press. The Twins/Young/Randle have a hard enough time trying to get back on defense. Why do you want your rim protector (WCS) running around the court (could easily pick up a dumb foul) 94 feet from the rim you are protecting? Makes no sense to me.

2. I don’t understand why the UK guards (Twins/Young) are out up in the opponents face 30 feet from the basket. The opponents guards are usually smaller/quicker and easily beat them off the dribble. With the size of Twins/Young, they just need to stay within striking range of their opponent with their hands up to contest any jump shot. Stay between the player you are guarding and the basket. Makes no sense to me.

3. High Pick and Roll – Game after game, the same mistakes are made by UK defenders against the opponents High Pick & Roll. The UK player guarding the player making the pick NEEDS to jump out and force the dribbler back. Instead, the UK defender sags back and allows the dribbler to turn the corner (on the pick) and get into the lane with uncontested layups. I blame this on Cal and coaching staff.

4. Respect your opponents – I have seen countless times where the UK freshmen don’t think the player they are guarding are capable of scoring against them. I believe it was Stokes (Tenn) who said the same thing after their game. I don’t understand that mentality, but it is real.

5. Against the zone, get someone in the middle of the free throw line and make a conserted effort to get the ball to him so that he can square up to the basket and break down the zone. Too many times the plan of attack is to pass the ball around the perimeter without it going inside. Very poor spacing is another issue.

75. chris christofield
    5:59 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

turn the offense loose. work double hard on the defense.

76. tired of process
    8:13 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m tired of cal using the word process as a way to cover up his piss poor coaching. Instead of saying process he should man up and say I don’t know enough about what really went wrong so I’ll keep saying process

77. kyle heavy
    9:16 am January 30, 2014 Permalink

EXCUSES. That’s all I’m reading from Cal.