In a taped segment on his call-in show, John Calipari gave us an update on Reid Travis’ knee. The segment was taped before the team left Columbia this afternoon, so the MRI scan had not been done; however, Cal said he expects Reid to miss at least a week to ten days, possibly two weeks.

“I would say, at the least, he’s going to be out a week to ten days, maybe two weeks,” Cal said.

“He’s not going to have the scan done until we get back, so it won’t be done until 5 p.m. He was with me this morning and he’s — you just don’t know with this stuff. And I just say we’ll pray and let’s hope it’s good news and he’s out a couple weeks, but we don’t know. I feel bad for him. He’s worked so hard and having so much fun and having such an impact that fate intervenes sometimes. In this case, it was like a freak thing.”

Regardless of how long Reid is out, Calipari says he needs his big guys to step up, starting with PJ Washington.

“Not only that, he’s giving up — I told PJ, now you’ve got to be that guy. We have no one else to go roughhouse. You have to be that guy. And that’s what’s going to make it hard for PJ but let’s just hope he has to hold the fort down for a couple of weeks and we get Reid back and go.

“Now, the other thing is, one guy’s misery is another guy’s opportunity. So now you have Nick [Richards] and EJ [Montgomery], now you have that opportunity to get extended minutes. Now, any clutter you were hearing — you should be playing more, etc. — alright, now there it is. I always tell them, you don’t listen to all this flattery or where they’re trying to blame other people. When you hear that, you have to put the phone down. You have to stop. You have to get off the internet. Anybody that’s flattering you vs. being truthful, holding you accountable, it’s poison because at some point, you have to step in the ring. You either can or you can’t. I think because we coach every player like they’re starters, I think EJ and Nick, this is their opportunity and I have great confidence in those two.”

Ten days would mean Reid is back for the Tennessee game, two weeks for Senior Day vs. Florida. Everyone cross your fingers.

[mobile_ad]

45 Comments for Calipari expects Reid Travis to miss at least a week, possibly two; awaiting MRI results

1. KayutsBy90
    6:15 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

This is fake news until the MRI results

• BBNmemberinoh
      6:25 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Seems like they would have a place there to do an MRI. But agree this comment was made early and is about the same as what was said after the game, just giving more of a time frame. If MRI was around 5 how long till we know anything, forgive me but I know nothing about medical stuff.

• Ridge Runner
      6:29 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

The results are quick. It’s getting a licensed dr to read and diagnose that can be time consuming from my experience.

• Blue Bill
      7:10 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Don’t think they have to worry about that like we common folk do.

2. shelby
    6:17 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If the mri hadn’t been done, cal is basically saying he “expects” it is only a sprain.

3. SanDiegoCats
    6:17 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I’m hoping that’s the case

• Ridge Runner
      6:24 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes sir.

4. Ridge Runner
    6:17 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Guys, I m thinking outside the box here. So please punch holes in this but… what if we start both EJ & Nick with Keldon off the bench. then… rotate Nick & EJ out for each other. Again… thinking out loud here.

• Luether
      6:32 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

What if we start Jonny David and Jemarl Baker and bring Ashton and PJ off the bench…

• Ridge Runner
      6:34 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Lol.. yeah it would work. For the first 5 seconds of the game before a T.O.

• JerryCat
      6:53 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Please come closer to the box

• Ridge Runner
      6:56 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

and what is that Jerry? EJ or Nick for Travis I and everyone else assumes? Where’s your creativity my man? Haaaa

5. Joeyrogers
    6:22 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

This isn’t 100%, but let’s cross our fingers and hope he’s back for Tennesse!

6. ballplayerstu
    6:23 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

That’s a relief!

7. 4everUKblue
    6:25 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

You on top of this one too mashburnfan?

• CATandMONKEY
      6:29 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If Reid were at Duke we would have had MRI results prior to the injury last night.

• bigbluebanana
      6:37 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

To be fair, dook invented the mri, and Cal personally ruined all the machines in Kentucky during his nightly “punt a puppy” rampage.

• Ridge Runner
      6:39 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Ha bbb. I hear ya.

• 4everUKblue
      6:32 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Lol C&M!

• IrishCat
      6:42 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

That’s funny!

• 4everUKblue
      6:43 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Banana you’re killin’ me lol!

8. jakefromstatefarm
    6:28 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Still needing an mri to confirm this before I exhale

9. ballplayerstu
    6:29 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Cal wouldn’t be saying anything if he wasn’t confident.

• Ridge Runner
      6:33 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

He certainly lived up to that example with J.V. -but he’s also very much the optimist (and I get that). So kinda tough to get a read.

10. KYWrite
    6:35 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

“Starting *with PJ…”

11. jsuge20
    6:38 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Blessing in disguise?? Its never a blessing to have an injury, but this will open up a lot of playing time for Nick and EJ. By the time Reid gets back, they may have someone competing for his job. I hope they use this time well, and these guys step up even more. God speed to my boy RT

12. Racerr11
    6:40 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I’d say Reid could play Saturday but there just holding him out to make sure he’s ok and they believe we can beat Auburn without him.

• michaelb
      7:00 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I’m like u , I don’t think there is tear . He wouldn’t have continued trying to play if there was .

13. bigbluebanana
    6:41 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I’m hoping for the best case and he’s back for Tennessee. We do need him. However, am I the only one seeing a scenario where he misses more time, but becomes a rallying cry for our Cats? He leads from the sidelines and the Cats are fueled by him, and the chip on their shoulders. Maybe I’m just too optimistic, but remember when Quade left, and then boom…Ashton started to become Ashton. We all know exactly what EJ and Nick COULD be, and I can see this as the catalyst for them to become that. EJ is a sure fire lottery pick at worst if/when he reaches his potential 100%.

• 4everUKblue
      6:44 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

And the Rocky theme song is playing in the background!

• bigbluebanana
      6:48 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yep! Lol

I just see these flashes of brilliance from EJ and Nick in both offense and defense. Cal is loyal, and IF he is guilty of anything, it’s that sometimes folks are on either too short, or too long a leash. I want Reid back immediately, but I can totally see him becoming the unquestioned inspiration from the sideline and Nick and EJ being able to open their games up because of it.

• Ridge Runner
      6:45 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

There is opportunity here, no doubt. Most of us worry about Nick if we’re honest. However, yes… the time is now.

• bigbluebanana
      7:05 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I do too, more so than EJ, but his talent is there too, it’s just a matter of getting it out of him.

• Ridge Runner
      7:11 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I like of course all the players but really like Nick. He seems so genuine and would love to see him consistently perform at a decent level. He gets down on himself because he thinks he has to do the highlight reel stuff. That’s when silly errors occur. But your point about a longer leash can provide the time now.

• Miller45
      7:33 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I think it was 2014 (wow time flies) willie broke his foot against Louisville in the sweet 16, forcing both dakari and marcus Lee into a much bigger role and they grew leaps and bounds from that opportunity and i hope EJ and Nick are able to do the same. Ny biggest hope is for a speedy full recovery for Reid. He definitely didn’t transfer all the way here to have his season end like that.

• JerryCat
      6:57 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Obviously, we prefer he never got hurt in the first place, but now that it’s happened, it can be a net positive. Give Nick and EJ extra minutes and a chance to break out. Serve as a rallying cry for the team to get through the next few weeks. Then be the come back story when we need him to body someone up in the sweet 16.

• 4everUKblue
      6:58 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

You could be right banana, I think Nick is going to come around, EJ is already looking better every game.

14. KYFAN4LYFE
    6:42 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If that’s all, he’s damn lucky. The way it looked on replay, it looked like the kind of hit that can end a career.

15. michaelb
    6:59 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Give the sequence of events … I guess it’s just a sprain . He hit the floor, got up … ran it off (but limping & in pain) pj asked him if he was alright – I seen him mouth ‘he was okay’ on in game footage . It’s a scare but I firmly believe we’ll put him on the shelf for a couple weeks and he’ll be back good as new .

16. JMFATZ47
    7:08 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Hoping for a sprain. Travis is the type who can still neutralize another player even at 80% healthy- he does not require as much explosiveness or vertical leaping to be effective. And he seems like the type who would play through some pain. Might have reduce his minutes some

• Miller45
      7:35 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I just like the consistency he brings. No one is perfect by any means but we have came to count on reid and PJ for the production they have both been able to consistently put up

17. clarks
    7:22 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Hope he is ok seems like great kid and deserves to get one good run to the final 4

18. thePATriot
    7:39 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

MRI result will be back and read by a doctor tonight. Let be honest UK pay a radiologist a ton of money to get these read quick. #justsaying

19. damage_control
    7:50 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Not ready to exhale completely yet either but I’ve always heard the MCL/ACL issues are present with a physical examination,which we know he’s had at least two by now. I’m hoping that means Cal wouldn’t throw out any timelines at all if it is that.

20. JMFATZ47
    8:07 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Why are the MRI results taking so long?