Calipari expects a "madhouse" and lots of three-pointers

(Matt Stamey-USA TODAY Sports)

(Matt Stamey-USA TODAY Sports)

John Calipari’s Kentucky teams have not performed well in Gainesville. In fact, Coach Cal’s teams have a losing record when playing at Florida with four wins and five losses in the O’Connell Center.

He knows the series history and the difficulty of playing there better than anyone, which is why he described the atmosphere his Cats will see tomorrow as “a madhouse,” when previewing the game Friday afternoon.

We’re going to go into a madhouse,” he said. “We’ve done it. It’s been a hard place for us to play.

As for what he expects out of the opposing team on Saturday, Cal is bracing his team for a barrage of three-point attempts from the Gators. If they’re hitting them, it will be tough to avoid a sixth loss at Florida on his resume.

“They make shots there,” Cal told reporters. “They’re shooting — the last five games — thirty three-point shots a game. They may shoot thirty-five. And if they make twenty, it’s been a nice little run, who do we play next?”

“They’re shooting them,” he said again. “If they’re on fire and making them, it’s going to make it hard for us.”

Cal also noted that, even though Florida’s record is 12-8 this season, it is a team that had Tennessee, the first-place team in the conference, down in the second half.

“They had them down seven, eight, nine, and then with a minute and a half to go it was anybody’s ball game, so they’re that good.”

“They play. They throw a little 1-2-2 out there. They throw a little 1-3-1 out there. They’ll throw a little 3-2 zone out there. They’ll play.”

It sounds like he’s expecting a battle in Florida’s “madhouse.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Calipari expects a "madhouse" and lots of three-pointers

1. unbridled
    3:39 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Cats need to continue to defend at an elite level and rebound. Everything else will fall in place.

• CatsandPats
      4:14 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Florida better hope they are hitting that many 3’s if they don’t want to get ran out of the O Dome! That’s about the only chance they have at beating us.

• henderblue
      4:16 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Correct you are unbridled…

• UK Big Board Update
      9:22 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Amazing insight from unbridled. You’re like the Dan Dakich of Tony Romos. So woke.

2. Keith Biggins
    4:07 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

I know a thing or two about Madhouses. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it’s breathtaking, I suggest you try it. Suffice to say the Cats will have a battle on their hands tomorrow.

• Skooms
      4:26 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

LOL! That was actually on the other night. I hadn’t seen the first one in a very long time. Forgot how funny it was!

• bigbluebanana
      4:56 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Best comment to ever reach KSR Keith, well played.

• unbridled
      5:10 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t recognize it at first. I actually googled “boulangerie.” Hysterical.

• J-Dub421
      5:24 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Well played, sir.

• runningunnin.454
      5:40 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Oh Man, lysergic acid diethylamide is bad for you. And will cause your newly shaven parts to shrivel up and disappear inside of you.

• JASUN74
      7:48 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

I logged in just to say,”that was frickin great bro!!” Lmao.

• RealCatsFan
      8:50 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Mrs RCF laughed out loud when I read that to her. And there is nothing worse than that prickly pear down under when things start to grow back. (Friend told me)

• CATandMONKEY
      12:00 am February 2, 2019 Permalink

A true classic!

3. Aar
    4:52 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Fans should not be permitted to be as close to the bench as they are in the O dome. Really tough place to play. Florida is also prone to having one of those unconscious, supernatural shooters like Devin Downey or Bubba Parham. When those kids were shooting, I kept thinking of Zorg’s weapon in The Fifth Element. You know, the one that would lock on a target so well that he would fire in the opposite direction and still hit the target. Hope we don’t have one of those experiences in The Swamp. If it comes down to talent, teamwork, intensity and normal home court advantage, I like my team. Go Cats, beat the Gators!

• bigbluebanana
      5:26 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Cats by 20

• unbridled
      5:34 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah I like our current mindset and productivity. I don’t think Florida can keep up with the depth and talent.

• RealCatsFan
      8:52 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

Did they ever fix those goal stantions that were ridiculously close to the court? That’s how Nerlens got hurt.

4. jaws2
    5:42 pm February 1, 2019 Permalink

I watched parts of the FL game earlier this week and we have NO business losing to them no matter where we play them. But of course this is the SEC where the league does all it can to make every game close. We’ll see.

• RealCatsFan