Calipari discussed the twins’ future with 104.5 The Zone

cal

The audio is up from Calipari’s Friday morning interview with 104.5 in Nashville. Here’s a quick rundown of what he had to say about the twins:

“Whatever decision they make, 50 years from now, what will Kentucky basketball be? Will it change? No. You do what you need to do for you and your family. This program will be fine.”

Cal said he’s met with them twice and each meeting lasted five minutes. “I am not going to do the brainwashing,” he said. “I don’t play that game.”

“I want them to come back because they want to come back. Or, I want them to go pro because they want to go pro, and then I’m going to help them get drafted in the first round.”

Listen to the entire interview here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

70 Comments for Calipari discussed the twins’ future with 104.5 The Zone

1. E-LOY VAR-GAS
    11:13 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I am slightly saddened by this quote

• Err
      11:58 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Or is Cal tricking us into this mentality only to set up jubilant surprise…I wouldn’t put it past him.

2. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like we will be singing “Happy Trails” to Aaron and Andrew. We will have to wait a little longer to see for sure, but that quote makes it sound like they are moving on. Good luck to them either way.

3. Bluegrass Kings
    11:16 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Agreed.

4. Bluegrass Kings
    11:17 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Although, I would LOVE to be wrong!

5. point
    11:20 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Time to start looking for transfers.

6. THEY ARE GONE
    11:20 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

When Cal said “then I’m going to help them get drafted in the first round.” They are gone……

• Justsayin
      11:33 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I found that Cal quote informative too. Clearly he thinks they are 2nd round picks this year and with a year of improvement and maturation they can be much much higher picks in his mind.

7. LexCathCat
    11:20 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Not quite as negative about these quotes as everybody else. To me, this just sounds like Cal saying what he always says (players first, not holding a kid back, etc)

8. john
    11:21 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

That “50 years from now quote” is all we needed to hear. Thanks for the run, guys. Good luck in the NBA! Even though it’s a mistake I wish you well.

9. Korean Tacos
    11:21 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

As I said yesterday, I think they have been looking for a reason to leave. You don’t wait this long to decide to stay

10. Steve
    11:21 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I hope they come back. But really, it’s not going to make or break next year’s team either way. We are definitely better with them, but not ruined if they leave.

• Stone Cold Willow
      11:29 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Put down the crack pipe bro. Next year’s guards will be worse than the 2012-2013 guards without the twins return. We will be struggling to stay in the top-25 without them.

• Delk for 3
      12:02 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Stone Cold Willow — Bwahahahaa! Struggling to stay in the top-25 just because of the twins?!!! HAAHAHHAHAHA! That is such a joke. Right? Tyler Ulis is a better player than Andrew Harrison and will tell it to Andrew’s face and then school him in a game of 1-on-1. Aaron Harrison is a solid player and will be missed, but Devin Booker is a solid player as well. This team will still be really good with or without the twins.

11. Cracker Darrell
    11:22 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

you’re reading too much into this. he’s simply saying whichever they decide (it is their decision), he will support them. that means helping them, in whatever way possible, to try to get chosen in the 1st round.

12. Cracker Darrell
    11:22 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

if they choose to leave

13. Cals Cats 3.0 Check us out on Facebook!
    11:23 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

1) I was as well. It sounds like Cal is giving off the twins the impression that if the twins want to go, they should, simple as that. There is no doubt if they feel confident in both being drafted in the first round that they will leave. Cal will help them get in the first round? I know Cal will do everything he can to help them once they are committed to going but Cal doesn’t have that much influence. If the GM’s are already saying they will not draft either one in the first round, what Cal says will not change their minds on that. I hope he isn’t giving them false hope and not reminding them of what their best options are if being drafted in the first round is what they want.

It isn’t brainwashing to simply remind them of reality. If they are cool with 2nd round and the likelihood of the d league, then so be it but don’t give them a false sense of hope that they will be 1st round players.

• john
      11:26 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Cal never has been very good about reminding players of what could happen to them.

• memphis wildcat
      11:27 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Agree 100%. Cal is almost too laid back in the “its their decision” position. Another year at UK would be better than 2nd round D league money, IMO

• Chris
      11:41 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I completely agree.. Reminding someone of their options is not brainwashing.. I dont want him to make any player stay BUT i think he should be more on top of this..If they leave he has 3 total guards for next year Booker ,Ulis and Hawkins.. ANd alot of the other transfer options have already made decisions.. I love Cal but cut that 50 years from now BS out..

14. Shannon
    11:24 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I hope they come back but I seen a tweet from what looks to be Aaron’s girlfriend and she lives in Texas. Do you think that will matter?

• hoo ha
      11:27 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

A – That tweet you ‘seen’, what did it say?
      B – Who cares?
      C – Shocking, a guy has a girlfriend in his hometown while he’s in college.

15. BigBlue4ever
    11:25 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Would love to see these two come back! The NBA will be there, build your stock! get closer to a degree! Just be happy with whatever you choose! GO BBN!!!

16. that guy
    11:25 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I have a suggestion. Let’s really overanalyze these statements and read all kinds of different things into them. Just for a change. Or let’s just wait another day or two.

17. Captain Obvs
    11:26 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

They are staying. In their college decision announcement, they said they were going to spend the next FOUR years at the University of Kentucky. Doesn’t anyone remember that???

• Dan
      12:04 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

And you believed that?

18. Pr
    11:28 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

And big blue deserves it. Most of us have criticized the harrisons in a bad way. Ive been guiltt of it at times. But most things I’ve heard are just outlandish. Cant believe a grown man would say things about a kid. I’ve heard they have no heart, trah talked these kids character and who they are. Its sad. But I think that is the main reason they don’t want to come back. N bbn hate you just as much as they love you. No I’m not a troll. I’m a die hard blue uk fan. But I speak the truth and the truth is, when we was bad at times bbn wasn’t behind this team. Now tables are turned and the harrisons have oportunity to stick bbn where it hurts. N I hope they do. Hope they go to league and do what’s best for them. Maybe THIS is what aaron meant when he said this will be a good story. What way to end it by sticking the deserving fans witg what they are owed. OUR FAULT. Can’t blame em if they go!!!!

• jmfatz47
      11:32 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Jesus…that was painful to read.

And I’m sure their decision is based on “sticking it to the BBN” and not based on what is best for them in their minds.

• Azubuike's Bicep
      11:41 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Look, we all misspell words, use words out of context, or even forget to include words all togehter. However, when your grammar is so atrocious that it makes the readers have to re-read the entire post just to understand what you’re even talking about, that’s when it’s worth mentioning. You couldn’t at least give your comment a once over?

(I also understand that I am leaving the door open for the, “I gave your mom a once over” comment.)

• Al/in/Indy
      11:42 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I totally agree, this small amount of people who ragged on these kids not just for the way they played but ragged on them personally, should just change their alliance and root for that ghetto school to the north…..Like almost everything else, the actions of a few effect everyone else…….

• Chris
      11:51 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Well not everyone trashed talked them and since we always put a spotlight on the negative things our own fans say, I actually think the people bashing them unfairly was a very very small percentage..And dont forget they struggled alot at times and some of the non-personel criticism was fair.. But my question to u is this..So they are going to make a bad decision and go to D-league cause they are mad at some fans? When some dumb person who may or may not be a UK fan says something stupid, I just ignore it.. Other fan-bases have a small percentage of idiot fans.. The Philadelphia Eagles fans beat up Santa Claus lol .. Just relax the BBN did it to ourselves crap is so tired..

• Chris
      11:56 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

AL/in/indy Grats u get idiot of the day award!!!!! Not only do i think u are wrong, i think u are over doing the # of fans that treated them badly….Plus u are just making up that they are not coming back cause of UK fans!! 1. If they go to NBA cause of UK fans they are very stupid people!!! 2. How many UK players have left in the last 100 years because of UK fans? 3. Your an idiot!!

19. Hollahollaholla
    11:29 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Lots of SGs in this draft, actually Andrew probably could sneak into first round, just don’t see anyway Aaron does.

With a weaker draft next year, it makes a lot more sense financially for them to come back.

• tltaworl
      11:39 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

It makes more sense if they have a great year and don’t get hurt. If I had a chance to make 6 figures after my freshman year with a potential of 7 figures before I was 25, I would have a tough time to make a decision. I respect them for taking their time. The NBA gives them until the 27th, we should too! Plus if I am Aaron, I was just on the cover of SI, clutch as anybody in the nation. Maybe the iron is hotter than we believe.

20. bbr
    11:31 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

if they go it will be Marquis Teague Part II and III. The end of the bench next to the water cooler can be a lonely place.

21. Korean Tacos
    11:34 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I equate it to that buddy you only kinda like hanging out with who calls asking you to hang friday. You tell you let him Thursday and you spend the preceding days hoping something else comes up.

• Michael Hunt
      12:20 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

You are you may have you confused you me.

22. RICK
    11:37 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

One is going and one is staying.

23. B-man
    11:39 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I think they’re coming back. I think this is Cal-speak. He is painting a “glum” picture so the twins can announce they’re coming back and it will appear that they made an outstanding and smart decision. I don’t believe Cal would disclose so many leading statements…he always lets the kids announce on their own terms.

24. JB
    11:40 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Yeah. They should learn from poor, POOR, Marquis Teague. I am sure he is so sorry that he left early everytime he looks at his THREE MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT. 3.05 million to be exact. What a sorry, stupid decision he made. SMH

• zach
      11:46 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

b/c money is the most important thing in life right? SMH

• hoo ha
      11:52 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

To these kids, and many 19 year olds, yeah, money is the most important thing in life. And, he’s getting paid those millions to play the game he loves.

25. I'll be happy either way...
    11:41 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

It’s crazy for people to talk about looking for transfers if the twins left, I feel like a lot of people are writing off Ulis because of his size and ranking. Yeah he may be small and we all know Harrow didn’t work out for us because of his size, but the difference is Ulis is a pass first player. Also, yeah he may have a lower ranking than some of the other players out there but WCS was what, like 40th? BBN after this year I think every single one of us have put our foot in our mouth at one point and time, so lets just give the new guys coming in some more love. I’ll be happy whatever the twins decide but if Ulis is our man I am still going to enjoy watching him play.

• Mc
      11:51 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

The 5th year transfer is to provide depth at the guard/sf positions. If there is a player out there that can handle the ball pretty well, that can shoot well from 3, and that can play guard or forward he will be helpful. When people discuss transfers, it has nothing to do with Ulis, Booker, or AP. They will all start IMO. However, the backcourt depth would be an issue.

26. Ryan harrow
    11:41 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

They’ll be back and I’ll be screaming 5 up!

27. nkyangus
    11:42 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

just announce boys, stop dragging this stuff out man.

28. notwitch
    11:44 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I really feel for them. In my opinion, outside of the top 10 (and really the top 6), this draft is really weak, particularly at guard. This would be a good year to come out. That being said, they are borderline (at best) first round picks. With everyone coming back next year, if they stay they have a great chance to be showcased and are near certain mid-first round locks (but again, you never know). Tough call.

29. Azubuike's Bicep
    11:45 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Why do they have to come out together? They aren’t getting drafted to the same team, so it wouldn’t matter if they come out together or not. Andrew goes, and Aaron stays. In all actuality, that would be the best opportunity for them if they wanted to play on the same team.

30. Blue Reality
    11:46 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Cal called the twins into his office……………..THEY DID NOT seek him out….They have not made a final decision on leave or stay…

Listen to what he actually said.

31. Burly
    11:46 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Staying IMO …. That was Cal self promoting again…when he said “how mny times did we meet?) Two ( how long was the meetings?) 5 minutes (I don’t push players one way or the other)

This tells me they are staying and Cal wants to make sure EVERYONE knows he didn’t influence them. Just my take

32. RICK
    11:50 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Glad to have you back Aaron and thanks for playing Andrew.

• Delk for 3
      12:16 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Not even close. If anyone would leave it’s Aaron. According the NBA scouts, Aaron is the one who could make it right now and is the better player and athlete.

33. [email protected]
    11:50 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Most all mock drafts don’t have them in 1st round this year. Some possibility that they won’t even be picked in this years draft.

• Mc
      11:56 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Some of the mock drafts also assume they’ll return and throw them in next year’s draft. So just because you don’t see them on this year’s, doesn’t mean they won’t get drafted late first/early second round.

34. technicolor yawn
    11:54 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

This has made me hungry for tacos

35. Lucas
    12:00 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Well Cal we may not be alive/able to watch UK basketball in 50 years so of course we care about right now. Stupid quote

36. kybigblue
    12:02 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Cal often uses the 40 years from now quote. I wonder how this would play on a Kentucky kid in this situation. If they leave for the NBA UK, unless they pick up a graduate transfer, will lack depth at SG and probably at SF. Except for Booker their outside game will be suspect. Plus, they could likely will be starting three freshmen instead of just one. But the twins dream is to play in the NBA so if that is what they decide I wish them well.

37. Harrison Twins Impact
    12:04 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Two Is Better Than One: Will The Twins Return? The Decision Is Getting Closer… http://wp.me/p4pLOr-g1

38. Big T in NY
    12:04 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

I hope they come back but Ulis looked solid in the Jordan Classic and it’s gonna be lob city next year. Can’t say the same for Booker. He looked like a project, however, in 2 or 3 years he’ll be solid. Biggest fear is lack of outside shooting next year, which wins championships…along with D. Go CATS!

39. fatcattx
    12:04 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Press conferences are rarely called on saturday or sunday and especially not without planning….so an announcement is the more likely scenario….that does not mean they are not going to the Draft just that we may not have the traditional press coverage… If I were them I would not want to answer questions on why they are leaving….

two longshot options that could be on the table that no one has mentioned…. Play Overseas… or Transfer to another School…

Why you ask….. Cal publically admitted to not doing his best coaching job with these guys( and no I am not blaming him)….what else can they do next year at UK that they did not do this year… Win a Title yes… but their roles on the team will be very different next year…. with all the bigs they are going to have to keep a lot of people happy and may have to give a lot more of their game this next year than last….and if we do get 9 that will not necessarily translate to a draft upgrade… ask Napier from UCONN….

• Mc
      12:08 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

• fatcattx
      12:13 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

ok so what is your argument… put up or shut up

• JustSayin
      12:13 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Sorry but their roles on the team will not be different next year … one will be PG and the other 2G. Yes, they’ll have options inside, same as this past year. The brunt of all this is that they are not considered first round players THIS year. They need to really round out their game and develop more to even entertain playing pro ball. As better players they’ll LIKELY move way up in the draft and solidify their chances of making the team, not to mention improve enough to actually compete for playing time in the NBA. Someone role back the tape of the UCONN game … our guards were obliterated by their guards. How the heck will that translate to the next nba season? Not well i presume.

• not so much...
      12:21 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

He got the rare press conference part right, then it went down hill.

• fatcattx
      12:38 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

if they do come back… Coach better coach the hell out of them, because their is no way they improve their draft stock playing exactly like they did last year…

40. bmt22033
    12:10 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Obviously no one outside of the Harrison family knows their thought process surrounding this decision. And honestly, isn’t that how is *should* be? As fans, we love UK basketball and as much as we might like to have a say in the matter, isn’t this decision really about the future lives and careers of two 19 year old kids? We’ll all know their decision soon enough. If they come back, I’d be happy about it. If they decide to go, I’ll wish them well, hope they get drafted in the first round and have long, successful careers. I don’t agree with everything Cal says but when he says “UK basketball will be fine. It will still be here 50 years from now”, I couldn’t agree more.

41. lonnieb
    12:18 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

rapier is a bad example. He is 5 foot something. Andrew is a 6’6″ pg. I think next year will be a perfect scenario. Green.light for Aaron all day. Andrew run the team an look for his teammates. Their draft stock can only go up. They will be much better all season next season. Its funny everyone on here is saying Andrew is gone and Aaron is back. It would be the opposite if they split up. Andrew could play himself into top 10 pick Aaron will always be a late first rounder at best.

42. Big T in NY
    12:24 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

I’m not saying the Harrisons were the best shooters, but they were solid last year. Mid 30s percentage I believe. Plus the stone cold killer factor in big shots. I know it was only one game but Booker didn’t look ready for the big lights and shot pretty awful from the floor, other than FTs. So without the Harrisons, who’s your best 3 baller next year. I’d say probably Ulis. Beyond him, not sure you have anyone else, maybe Towns. And we all know it can be tough for a short guard to get 3’s off. That was a big problem for Florida against our height the last few years, prior to this past season. So I really have no idea how that’s gonna work without the harrisons. Without an outside threat the opponents will pack the paint. Of course they’ll probably have to do that anyways, haha. Frontcourt is just unfair.

43. kybigblue
    12:27 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

Height was a big advantage last year and will be again. Not matter how many seven footers one has the most that will play at any given time is one or two. Having experience at PG and having two like Aaron and Booker that can knock down threes to keep the defense honest can’t be overstated.

44. Larkin123
    12:32 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

The first round is standard Cal, and sometimes that can mean coming back a year. In fact I’ve heard it both ways over the years.