Calipari calls Tyler Herro ‘worst passer’ he’s ever coached, Herro disagrees

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

A fun moment after Kentucky’s 87-74 win over Winthrop featured John Calipari calling freshman guard Tyler Herro the worst passer he’s ever coached.

Herro finished with 15 points with three made three-pointers, but finished with a team-high (and career high) seven assists.

Calipari was surprised.

“That was surprisng,” Calipari said. “I said, ‘For the worst passer I’ve ever coached in my history to have seven assists that’s an amazing accomplishment.’ He said he’s not that bad of a passer.

“… He did good today.”

Herro said the joke started when the two were watching film and reviewing a turnover when Herro threw a ball well behind a teammate and it sailed out of bounds.

“He said one day in film that I was the worst passer that he ever recruited,” Herro said. “I think I turned it over one time. Someone was wide open and I threw it way behind him and he said I was the worst passer he’s ever coached.”

When getting serious Herro thought he did a better job sharing the ball tonight.

“I think it was alright,” Herro said. “I think the guys were just open in the right position and I made the right play. They made shots, finished lobs or finished inside, whatever it was.”

Herro’s teammate, Keldon Johnson, disagrees with his head coach’s sentiment that Herro is a bad passer. One nice pass from Herro led to a three-pointer for Johnson.

“I think he passes the ball pretty well,” Johnson said. “He gave me a good pass today and I shot a three and made it. I think they pick at him a little bit but to me I think he’s a pretty good passer.”

Feeling a little bit more comfortable after recalling his assist to Johnson, Herro went as far as saying he was the best passer while cracking a smile.

“I’m the best passer,” Herro said.

That’s where Johnson vehemently disagreed.

“I don’t know about that, I don’t know about all that,” Johnson said.

While folks were having fun ripping on Herro and the Wisconsin native playfully defending himself it could have been a completely different story. Herro went to the locker room in the first half after hurting his knee. He returned minutes later but Herro thought it could have been a season-ending injury.

“Honestly, I thought I tore something because it hurt really bad,” Herro said. “It was just a weird fall. I put some ice on it and I was good. I already tore my meniscus in this knee and I thought I did it again.”

Herro said when he landed on his knee it buckled forward and he “kinda” hyper-extended it. When he went in the locker room the doctor told him he was fine.

That’s when Herro knew he could return.

“I went back out there, stretched and I was good,” Herro said.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

14 Comments for Calipari calls Tyler Herro ‘worst passer’ he’s ever coached, Herro disagrees

1. KYCat4EVER
    6:29 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t think Coach Cal’s Offensive included a lot of passing… screening… picking… moving without the ball…. or PASSING???

2. Jiminy Crickets
    6:37 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

I guess he doesn’t remember Diallo or James Young. So Calipari is name calling guys in post game…after a win

• Jiminy Crickets
      6:38 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

I know it’s an inside joke btw

3. deputy305
    6:37 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

I’m sorry but I am about done with Calipari’s “reverse psychology”-it’s not working anymore on these players or kids nowadays

• KYCat4EVER
      6:56 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Agree… and Reverse Psychology is NOT the only Coach Cal approach that isn’t working either

• Parker_UKFanNC
      11:54 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Or maybe it’s just an inside joke like the article implies if you actually read the entire thing.

4. Jiminy Crickets
    6:49 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

My wife’s family have UL season tickets. We went to Vermont game…. UL will beat us, I have no doubt. They shoot the 3 well, and they’re big. NTM they currently have the #2 recruiting class, ahead of us…. better get to work Cal. We tolerate a lot. Losing to UL is not one of them

• wyatts1
      7:03 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Breaking point was the loss to duke, if they ever was one. Losing to the tards wouldn’t be nearly as bad, losing to duke is the worse possible thing that a UK basketball team or coach could ever ever do. If your to young to remember the UK-duke game with the unforgettables then you get a pass, but all others should believe the same as I do FLUCK dUKe

• Booby Petrino
      8:04 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Lol Jiminy is always good for a laugh

• Go Deep
      10:11 am November 23, 2018 Permalink

Only a troll says not to mention, and then mentions.

5. Matt10
    7:53 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

I vent occasionally but this site is becoming way too negative. You need moderators and an up and down vote on comments asap.

• Booby Petrino
      8:06 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

There’s a few trolls who take over the comments in the evening. they are miserable beings. They’ll get quiet as the season goes on and the team gets better.

• jsuge20
      8:50 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

i know, right? I could be negative as well but its November… waaaaay to early for that. These comments make me feel like i am on yahoo message boards.