Calipari again questions the purpose of conference tournaments

john calipari mad

John Calipari actually seems okay with Kentucky’s draw and applauded the Selection Committee for improved transparency…BUT, he did some some beef with the NCAA for one thing: the continued irrelevance of conference tournaments.

“This playing tournaments on Sunday is crazy. They should all end on Saturday. I will tell you that — my one comment is, tell us what these league tournaments mean before we start playing them. You’re not — the body of work is going to be the major factor — now listen to me –for all the teams. Not for one league it’s important and the rest aren’t important. All of us. League tournaments were not taken that much into account. It may get you in or out but you’re not going to move much on your seed because of a late season run. Or we go back to what’s your record on the last ten [games].”

If you didn’t catch on, it seems as though he’s talking about Duke, whose run in the ACC Tournament boosted them to a two-seed and had many arguing they should be a one-seed. It wouldn’t be Selection Sunday without Cal getting a subtle dig, right?

Cal’s other suggestion to the selection committee? Seed teams on an S-curve.

“I think we should do the S-Curve,” Cal said. “You go with the S-curve. The best one gets the weakest two and the best three and the weakest — and now, if that doesn’t quite work, then make some small adjustments within the seed line. But start with the S-curve.”

In case you missed it earlier, Kentucky was the fifth overall team, so the top two-seed, and if the NCAA had used an S-Curve, they would be paired with Gonzaga as their one-seed instead of North Carolina:

What kind of curve?

S

17 Comments for Calipari again questions the purpose of conference tournaments

1. kenny
    8:15 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Man, the S curve would’ve been nice.

2. jim tom
    8:20 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Quit whining about the draw and just play

• rosquirto
      8:25 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

That’s what I’m saying. We seem to always get a tougher draw. We should be used to it. Time to man up and kick some arse.

• catsarerunnin
      8:33 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Listen to Billy Bob

3. kentuckybackupplayer
    8:43 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I LIKE MY TEAM!

4. maximumscott
    8:44 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Yeah but we would have been playing out west. Some may disagree but id rather play in memphis.

• BGLawdog
      8:51 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I’d rather play lesser competition in Fairbanks or Anchorage, but it is what it is. It isn’t going to change by us whining about it. This team is soooo much better defensively than it was when we beat the hardest out in our bracket. While we feel slighted, you know UNC fans are pissed as well. We beat them when they shot 60%. They remember

5. catsarerunnin
    9:15 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I watched 3 hours of “Bracketology” on ESPN. That’s 3 hours I’ll never get back. Other than interviewing Cal there was barely a mention of Kentucky. Plenty of whining over Syracuse and plenty of praise for the ACC. Most of them predicted dUKe/UNC in the finals. Dream on.

• 2thepoint
      9:39 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I agree with the waste of time. UK got no love whatsoever. It is like we are scum or something. There we are said to be the 5th best team, so if that be the case why weren’t we placed in the Zag’s region since they were the worst 1-seed. That should be the way it works, but when it comes to UK they have to place them against teams we know they are going to throw in our way. I am not against playing UCLA and UNC, but there it is again. They would have put KU and UK in there if they could have, but they couldn’t swing it this time.

6. BiasedBigfoot
    9:35 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Anything is better than having to face UCLA and North Carolina’s again.

7. StuckinLville
    9:39 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

So how is it that winning the tournament didnt help us last year, but it helped Duke this year? I am so sick of the blatant preferential treatment that Duke gets.

8. UKPROF
    10:02 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

After watching UKBB for more than 50 years, it would be just fine with me if we decided to stop participating in the Conference Tournament. True, we can all give 10 reasons to keep it, but I say just shut it down because it’s no longer relevant or necessary. In 20 years, we could bring it back?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:22 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I like the SEC tournament. It simply needs to be scheduled and structured to provide relevance towards the big dance.

• catsarerunnin
      7:37 am March 13, 2017 Permalink

“Hello,this is UK speakin’. Sorry SEC but we’re not going to play in your tournament until it’s relevant. That’s just how it is.”

9. Squall Leonhart
    12:56 am March 13, 2017 Permalink

Well we weren’t in danger this time around of not getting an at-large bid. Had that been the case and we won the SEC Tournament and got in, he would be singing a different tune.

Moreover, the point of the SEC Tournament isn’t to affect seeding in the NCAA selection committee…this is the contest to win an automatic bid, and win a major tournament championship and take home a trophy…which we just did. I’d say that’s pretty nice. Are we numb to how significant that is simply because we take home this particular trophy so often? We shouldn’t be. It’s a major achievement.

10. BluKudzu
    7:37 am March 13, 2017 Permalink

SEC tournament is about money. 5 teams from the SEC made the dance anyway. It provides nothing to UK. Much more risk than reward.