Calipari accepts blame for Killeya-Jones’ broken ankles

In the spirt of the Olympic games, Sacha Killeya-Jones went skating last night on Arkansas’ final play of the first half, in which the Razorbacks tied the game on a three-pointer.

Killeya-Jones got caught on a switch that left him on an island trying to defend Daryl Macon, who snapped Killeya-Jones’ ankles with a crossover before draining the shot.

After the game, John Calipari took full responsibility for the mismatch that led to the ankle-breaking.

“I made a mistake,” Cal admitted. “I said switch. As soon as I saw it coming, I said, ‘Why did I do that?’ and poor Sacha got stuck up there and there’s no way he could play him.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Calipari accepts blame for Killeya-Jones’ broken ankles

1. ukjaybrat
    2:43 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

poor skj

2. Bill Selfs Hair Piece
    2:48 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

I personally don’t understand the infatuation with making people fall down with a crossover. So you dribbled the ball and a guy tripped. Whoopie.

• AdamN
      3:20 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

You go try and make SKJ fall over with a crossover. Same reason people go crazy for a dunk. Not easy to do. Not everybody can do it.

3. devotedsoles528
    2:50 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

I need more clarification b/c the post doesn’t provide it. Did SKJ really break an ankle?

4. ballplayerstu
    3:08 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

On the blacktop we used to always break ankles & people would aweeee… just like Allen Iverson did to Michael Jordan. Even the best get broke. But I will say this, SKJ, he made a couple key tip backs and rebounds. Good win.

5. Aar
    3:12 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Breaking ankles is just smack. Last season DeAaron Fox broke at least one ankle per game. Love watching that kid.

Anyway, it looked like a wet spot on the floor or some kind of slip had a tiny bit to do with with SKJ going down than it being a pure self-trip. I commend SKJ’s progress in having the confidence to step up and take that switch. It was a pure mismatch and not a good switch but he’s getting better at defending guards. I think he’s effective at guarding 3 through 5 now and even some 2s.

• AdamN
      3:23 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

I saw it the same way you did… a slip. Ankles not broken. Still embarrassing though.

• unbridled
      5:27 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. He went to plant his foot and slipped. Kinda no big deal….at all.

6. MadHatter
    8:11 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Fake news lol

7. chris43
    9:58 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

He gave a damn good effort! Even though it was a bad matchup on the outside….he still gave it hell attempting to guard him. Damn good effort! Proud of ya SKJ!