Cal warns fans about sabotage

the-toy-company-fighting-the-beastie-boys-has-given-up

On the radio yesterday, John Calipari warned fans that outside forces may try to disrupt the team with talk that there is too much depth to form chemistry. Last night, he drove the point home on social media, telling fans that while this team “could be special,” they’ll have to watch for people trying to “sabotage” their success:

Liked what I saw today. This could be special, but we are going to have to be mentally tough enough to not be sabotaged. When I say sabotaged, you’re going to have a lot of people trying to make stories out of our depth and wonder if we can still have chemistry. Don’t listen to it, #BBN! Don’t buy it. Understand what we’re trying to do. It isn’t going to crack me or my team but don’t let it crack you.

Looking at you, Jeff Goodman.

43 Comments for Cal warns fans about sabotage

1. TimeFor9
    10:31 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

In other words, hump ditty ditty

2. R.I.P. MCA
    10:32 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Such a great song and that music video is one of the all time greatest along with “Thriller”.

3. blade
    10:33 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Too bad for Cal – paranoia signals the beginning of the end.

• L1C6
      10:45 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Too bad for you, you just got a glimpse of our championship run!

• Reality
      11:57 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

It’s only paranoia if they aren’t out to get you. We all saw what happened last year when the players let themselves buy into their own hype and then get ripped apart for not living up to it.

• Hilarity Ensues
      1:18 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Hahaha, you reTard fans never give up, do you?

Keep praying he leaves, and in the meantime, we’ll continue to own your HOFCRP.

4. Observe
    10:46 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

I love Cal as much as the next guy but sometimes he sounds like Jim Jones.

5. InOtherWords
    10:49 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

So he’s saying ‘Sit back and relax, BBN. We got this, no need to argue with the haters. Enjoy the ride!’

6. Insight
    10:53 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

We also need to go ahead and accept that there is a chance we won’t win it all. If we don’t do that then no matter how fun the season is, we will consider it a failure

7. Come on
    11:03 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Paranoia? You’re kidding right? Cal is always steps ahead of everyone. He knows that the praise and expectations for this team will be higher than normal and with that, some will have to find negatives to make their opinions noticed. The volume of interest is an enormous market to be exploited and very fertile ground for any headline grabbing whispers. Very smart to address it now and kill the opportunity

• Come on
      11:06 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Opportunity for mischief

8. getaclue
    11:09 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Cmon Cal relax a little. Don’t put undue pressure on these guys to go 40-0. As long as they win the last game the play in 2015 than that will be enough!!!!

• Insight
      11:13 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Not for some of our fans.

• Mc
      11:38 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

They could technically not make the NCAA tournament, and then win their last game in another tournament, but I get what you’re saying.

• MADARCHITECT
      2:00 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

I am not yet concerned with the 2015 Louisville game. Stick to this season.

9. Poltician Coach
    11:17 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Coach Calipari = President Clinton. When he speaks he reminds me of Bill Clinton.

• UKfaninLou
      1:58 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

You say that like its a bad thing…..

• Luther
      2:14 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

It IS a bad thing because Clinton is an amoral, lying scumbag.

Cal and Cal alone will determine this Teams’ chemistry based on his decision on whether or not to exploit his unprecedented depth. If he chooses to play 10 – 12 players each game (unlikely based on his track record) everything will be fine…

• JT
      2:40 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Yeah and Cal is a choir boy. The guy has had 2 vacated final fours happen under his watch. He’s in one of the dirtiest businesses going, college sports coaching. Everyone is a total fraud. Coach K, Bill Self, Ole Roy, the list goes on and on.

• ThatCrackerBZ
      2:53 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

His track record of only having 6-7 players that are skilled enough to go out and win games? Which track record are you referring to?

• ThatCrackerBZ
      2:57 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

And JT, in both final fours that were vacated, the *NCAA*, cleared him of any wrongdoing. If Cal did know about Rose’s SAT scores, then he violated Admissions regulations. He knew of Marcus Camby’s wrongdoing, and told Camby he had to come clean. What kind of cheater tells on himself/his players???

Do you ever research what you speak of, or do you always talk out of your rear?

• ukjaybrat
      7:44 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

yo crackerz! you can’t use logic with haters… all they see is that the final four was removed and therefore he is a cheater… they fail to realize that by this same logic, it makes pitino a pothead just bc behana smoked a bunch of weed. doesn’t make any sense does it? well it does to moron cardinal fans.

10. Han
    11:18 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

My main hope is that all of the parents and “close friends” of the players don’t go telling sports reporters that they’re unhappy with the minutes their kid is getting (or that the player is unhappy when it’s really the parent/relative/friend who is unhappy because they think the draft stock will fall and their $ will be cut/delayed). If any of them feel that way, I hope they talk to their kid and Coach Cal. It looks like the team is going to have a lot of fun playing together, and we don’t need any of them getting pressured to play selfishly (which gets them benched) or to transfer. We’ve seen that happen with a few players during and before Cal, and we hear about supposedly unhappy parents just about every year. Sometimes it’s true (Legion), but usually it ends up forcing the parent to repeatedly call it BS on the record. The talk gets especially strong when a player doesn’t play in a game or two, or when the break comes and people are supposedly going home to talk about their future.

I think we all recall there was that kind of crap said about the twins last year and their dad ended up saying it was pretty much the opposite, that he had to remind his boys to not pressure themselves so much. Then Cal made the tweak and both twins played like a weight was off their shoulders. Likewise we’ve heard crap about Lee or Willis or others wanting a transfer. They look happy so far. Hood had to say he was coming back basically every year.

No one wants to transfer out and watch the team win a title only to end up in a similar playing time situation wherever they end up (Poole).

11. Tin foil hat
    11:37 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

This is the same guy that thought the New Kersey Nets people were bugging his office. What a loon.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:41 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Where are you finding your tinfoil? My hats have been made of heavy-duty double folded aluminum foil for many years. Effective but not nearly as good as tinfoil.
      As to your comment…wrap that tinfoil a bit tighter.

• TimeFor9
      12:04 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

I’m not familiar with the New Kersey Nets. Where are they located?

• Tin Foil Hat Wacko
      1:20 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Near Old Kersey?

12. Harry Ellsberee
    11:38 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

I think Cal is just saying this to head off any 40-0 and/or NC talk before the season even gets under way. That did us no good last season. I think he welcomes the Sporting News leaking that Arizona will be their preseason #1 or the articles that have Arizona’s starting five ranked ahead of UK’s http://straighthoops.com/whos_your_five.html He rather lay back in the weeds and win games.

• ukjaybrat
      7:48 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

if we beat the dr even once, arizona will not be the preseason #1

13. Bill
    11:42 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Han is pretty much on target IMHO. The biggest challenge we will face is the same one we face every year Cal has been here. It’s ourselves.

14. UKBlue1!
    11:50 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

There are those in the media every year trying to sabatoge UK. This went on before Calipari became coach…….Jerry Tipton, Billy Packer, Pat Forde……all ring a bell?

15. Confused
    12:01 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

So when you say sabotage would you be referring to your post about a PG controversy between Andrew and Tyler? I think your words were something like “I wonder how Andrew will feel about that?!”

That post was followed by 50 people arguing over who is better and who deserves minutes etc etc…

Imagine what Matt Jones would do on Twitter is Pat Forde said that! It would be hilarious!!

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:06 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Actually, had you continued to read my post yesterday, you would see Cal’s comments about how Tyler is pushing Andrew to be a better player and how he plans to play them together at the same time. The only person creating a controversy is you.

16. Confused
    12:51 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

I listened to Cal’s comments live AND I read them in your post. I read all your posts and as well all the other posts on KSR.

When I heard his comments on the broadcast my first thought was “I hope no one tries to blow that out of proportion” and then I read your post. Read this sentence again “Whoa. How does Andrew Harrison feel about those remarks?” … If you take that out of context it looks bad. It kind of reminds me of something I would read on NotJerryTipton’s twitter feed. I understand what you were saying, but the majority of comments on that post did not. I didn’t comment on that post for that exact reason. I commented on this one because I thought it was funny (maybe even ironic depending on whether you use the Alanis Morissette definition of irony) that you posted both of them.

I have no ability to create controversy because I do not have the most influential UK fan website (most influential fan website period) as a platform. I am no one. No one reads or cares about what I write. EVERYONE reads what you write. I’m sorry if I came across as offensive. I typically reserve all my offensive comments for BTI’s posts.

• Cal's Coffin
      1:38 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Confused. Have to say I agree with you on this one. Tyler is a great asset to this site, but that remark kinda was like someone flaming a the smoke to create a fire. Like you, I did not comment on it.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      1:47 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Well, that’s not how I meant the remark to come off at all. I think it’s totally possible for Tyler and Andrew to coexist on the team; in fact, I think the competition will make each player better.

• ukjaybrat
      7:52 am August 14, 2014 Permalink

tyler and andrew are two completely different types of players… yes they play the same position, but when each of them are on the court, it will be a different style of play, not to mention putting them on the court at the same time would create a third dynamic. This will be an interesting year.

17. bigbluetruth
    1:34 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Andrew has 15 assist and 5 TO’s on the trip so far. Alex is the leading scorer and second in boards. Alex is gonna be the beast we knew he could be as a freshman. Last year he kinda sit back and let JR do his thing, he will graduate this year and Alex will put this team on his back and lead them all the way with his hard work and energy.

18. jw
    4:34 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Cal is such a master of mind control and tactics so I don’t see these kids getting jealous of one another. Heck if anything it lightens the load on each other to not have to carry so much weight on their back. Everyone is going to get their time to shine.

19. jeff j
    6:23 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

ATT: all dumb butt haters & naysayers: my question to you all is “What part of Kentucky Basketball do you NOT understand ? and being that you cant answer that , i ask you to count your trophy case, if you can count that high.

20. jeff j
    6:27 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

as for you feeble stupidity (1 your ignorant post are only feeding your demise and boosting K.S.R. we’ll ignore you as you do your teeth and you will go away with em. GO CATS !!

21. Truth
    9:39 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Awesome music video. RIP MCA. 🙁
    (honorable mention – Hey Ladies)

22. Just wondering
    9:50 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

This doesn’t have anything to do with the article, but am I the only one who has noticed that Rick Pitino seems to be obsessed with recruiting big men from Africa? Mangok Mathiang, Akoy Agau, Deng Adel, and Abdul Adu (in 2016 and will probably go to Louisville). Why is that?