Cal speaks about Dakari coming back

USA Today

Photo © Mark Zerof

Photo © Mark Zerof

We’ve already seen Dakari and his mother’s statements, but UK just sent out a formal one from both Dakari and John Calipari. Read ’em and weep for joy. Dakari first:

“After looking at the information provided to me by Coach Cal and the NBA committee, my family and I made the decision for me to return to UK for my sophomore year,” Johnson said. “Returning to school allows me to build on my leadership skills, improve my individual basketball strength and conditioning skills, and have another opportunity to accomplish one of my individual goals: winning an NCAA national championship in college.

Now, Cal:

I’m happy to have Dakari back with us for next season,” head coach John Calipari said. “Despite being the youngest player on the team this season, he continued to improve every day on the court and it showed. We look forward to seeing his improvement over the summer and throughout next year.”

dakari-cheer

16 Comments for Cal speaks about Dakari coming back

1. Ricky P
    4:36 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

But, but, but hmmmm butt

2. Syrin
    4:37 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I think Ulis is going to be the key to next season. A guy who can PASS the ball, something we desperately need, and a great outside shooter to keep the middle open for all the bigs we’re going to have. Plus, he’s not just quick, he’s fast which should mean a ton of alley oops, something last year’s team had fewer and fewer of as the season went along.

• Chaz
      4:56 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

To paraphrase Reggie Jackson: The little straw stirs the big drink. Ullis is going to see time on the court, especially in the latter part of the SEC season. He’s going to make those bigs look even bigger come dance time.

• I hope the twins come back, but I think you’re right. Russ Smith and Napier showed how effective small guards can be. Ulis backing up Andrew to give the other team a different look/skill set would be great!

3. bmt22033
    4:43 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Oh man it really sucks that you can only play 5 guys at a time! 😉

4. Ya boi
    4:47 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

what is he mouthing in the .gif?

5. Ball don't lie
    4:53 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

When the twins return, next year will be the best UK team under Cal, maybe in UK history.

6. stevieb
    5:03 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Wonder what the odds are that we lead the NCAA in rebounds next year?

7. King Kelly Coleman
    5:04 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

So just what team is/was the biggest (tallest) team in NCAA history?

8. RealCatsFan
    5:07 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

My one gripe with Cal in the past is that he doesn’t use his bench enough. Hopefully that will change next year and he will open up his rotation to go 10 deep instead of the usual 7-8 in the past. I think he will do that, as he has shown a willingness to adapt his scheme to the players he has on hand to work with. Exhibit A was the fact that he worked a zone defense into the mix, even though he has publicly expressed his general disdain for the zone in the past. If Aaron and Andrew return, Cal is going to feel like a kid at Christmas this fall when practices start up. Wait a minute! He gets to start early with this bunch since most of the returnees will be on campus thru the summer, and they get to take the summer trip together. That could be huge for team chemistry!

• Yep, depth was one of our biggest strengths under Rickie P, and the best teams under Tubby had great depth. That’s the reason I said on another thread that it is going to be sick, absolutely sick, the number of big bodies we’ll be able to run at people!

• Deacon
      6:50 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I posted on another thread I’d like to see us run line changes like a hockey team. One group of 5 would be big and powerful: Johnson, Towns, Lyles, and the twins. Play a zone on D and pound it inside on O. Then after 4 minutes bring in the quick team: Willie, Lee, Poy, Booker and Ulis. Have this group full court press and fly up and down the court. Then rotate the two groups back and forth. Wear out each opponent.

• jaws2
      7:40 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

And where does Willis and Hawkins fit in?

9. GoCats
    5:09 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Good for him – best decision to improve his skill set and improve his stock…a la familia Dakari…Thanks for staying

10. Ace
    6:17 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Thanks Dakari

11. Shawn
    7:09 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Most people forget Dakari should have been a senior In high school this past season. Instead he helped us get to a National Championship game.