Cal shoots down Kings rumor: “I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY”

john-calipari-ncaa-basketball-final-four-kentucky-practice3

Just like that, here comes John Calipari on the white horse to make us all feel better. Cal sent out this statement seconds ago:

For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position. Since he bought the team, Vivek Ranadive and I have talked on and off about DeMarcus Cousins. Vivek has asked me what I thought about DeMarcus and I told him he would be an all-star, and I was right. In the last two weeks, we’ve also talked a bunch about the draft and on draft day, obviously because of Willie Cauley-Stein. At no time has Vivek offered me a job. I will be at Kentucky.

That last part in tweet form because it was awesome:

42 Comments for Cal shoots down Kings rumor: “I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY”

1. Allison
    12:03 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Well, thanks for that mini-heart attack. I’m just glad it didn’t last long!

2. memphis
    12:11 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

You gotta admit, he is always sure to give himself some wiggle room. I believe him but I would feel a lot better if he would say, “He has never offered me a job and if he did, I would turn him down.”

• Jeremy Biancardi
      12:16 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

True, and if that is all he said there would still be room for concern, but the last part “I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY” sounds committal.

• Big Bluetooth
      12:17 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Wow. What part of “I will be at Kentucky” did you not get?

• memphis
      12:42 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Whoa, whoa. Calm down. I got it. My point was that he’s always very calculated in what he says. End of story.

3. Laker Cat 18
    12:11 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

NIce!

4. Dukehater
    12:15 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

I may be splitting hairs here, but this sounds a little like calculated coach speak. Cal often says things like “I will be at Kentucky” or “I am the coach of Kentucky”. I wish he would say things more definitively. Because one can say “I will be at Kentucky” but its not the same as saying “I am not going to leave Kentucky to coach in the NBA” or “I am remaining as the coach of Kentucky and am not entertaining any other offers from NBA teams” or “I have no interest in the NBA”. Saying “I am at Kentucky” is not definitive. Yes he is at Kentucky right now. Just as I am at home right now. But I will probably leave at some point today. Or maybe leave tomorrow. Who knows. If Cal wants to shut the doors of these rumors once and for all he needs to state what I just mentioned.

• Big Bluetooth
      12:18 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Good lord. You people are crazy.

• jman3715
      12:18 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

He said “I WILL be at Kentucky” not “I am at Kentucky”. Sounds pretty definitive to me.

• WOO
      12:46 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

If I tell you, “I will be going to Taco Bell for lunch” and then I have Wendy’s instead, I can always say, “Well, at the time I was going to Taco Bell but then the unexpected woo of Wendy’s pulled me away.” If I tell you, “I will be going to Taco Bell for lunch and I won’t be going anyplace else” then… Nevermind. I just realized I sounded like an idiot. Go Cay-uts!

• Dukehater
      12:48 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Crazy? Absolutely. But what other college team do you know that has had to deal with NBA rumors as much as Kentucky? Pitino, Smith (to a lesser extent but it happened) and Cal. So I think all of us have somewhat of a reason to be “crazy” when it comes to our BB head coach.

• Dukehater
      12:52 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

And to jman3715 and Woo, I did say at the outset that I may be splitting hairs. I guess for me to feel convinced I need Cal to say “I am never ever leaving UK for ANY other coaching opportunity. Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.” 🙂

5. BluKudzu
    12:18 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Cal says he is at Kentucky. I am good with that.

6. Don Patton
    12:22 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Oh no. Is he going to another university? He said he was going to beat Kentucky.

7. Dustin
    12:31 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Playing devil’s advocate here…

Glad he said something but what he said really only addresses that the Kings haven’t offered him a job, which the report didn’t say anyways. Notice that it didn’t say they hadn’t gauged his interest in a job, just hadn’t offered. Don’t overlook that. Also notice that he never says he wouldn’t be interested in the job and the “I’ll be here at Kentucky” doesn’t include “for the next season and then for the foreseeable future.”

He’s being very clever with his words so that he can go back and say “I never said I wouldn’t take the job if offered and I never said I’d be here at Kentucky next year. If you look back to my interview at the SEC meeting, I said they’d have to uproot me. Giving me Demarcus, Eric, Willie and control of the organization was just too much to turn down and it was the ONLY job I would have ever taken. Listen, I turned down LeBron and the Cavs. Like, really?, the best player on the planet and a city just a skip and a jump from my home state, like, you kidding me? That should tell you how much coaching these guys and being a part of this organization and working for Vivek means to me.”

• J-Dub421
      12:38 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

If they just talked to gauge his interest and then didn’t make him an offer, then that would indicate that he didn’t have any real interest in leaving Kentucky. You basically answered your own question. Stop over-thinking this.

• Dustin
      12:43 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

If you read the report though, they are trying to find a way to get rid of Karl without paying him. That would explain why they hadn’t formally offered yet. And I didn’t have any question to answer. I’m just saying this leaves a gaping hole where he could easily go back while also doing the job of turning down the heat for a bit.

• Come On Man
      12:51 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Dustin are you this insecure about everything in your life? Do you honestly think Cal cares about lying so much that he would take the time to make loopholes just so he wouldn’t hurt our feelings and could have an out as if he were a 5 year old? Jeezus.

• Dustin
      12:55 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

I said I was playing devil’s advocate. I think this is about the best thing you could hope for at the moment and I truly don’t think he takes the job for other reasons than him putting this out there. I’m just pointing out the “coach speak” part of this because a lot of the comments were taking the exact opposite approach as if this was a promise that he would 100% not leave if the job was offered. That’s just not what he said.

• BoogieFan07
      12:57 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

I read the same Dustin. He’s likely not going anywhere but he definitely left himself some wiggle room.

• J-Dub421
      1:06 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

What you all seem to want is for Coach Cal to tell you that he will never leave UK for another coaching job. If this is the case, then get used to disappointment.

• Dustin
      1:27 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub I think what people would want to hear, although I agree he is under no obligation to us to say this, is “I haven’t been offered and wouldn’t consider it if I was because I’m going to be here at Kentucky next year.” That’s it. Nothing about the years after that or any other NBA job in particular. All I’m doing is pointing out the key parts of that sentence that he left out.

• Bussa
      2:02 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Dustin I think when you say “what the people would want to hear” you are referring to yourself and about 5 other people. Everyone else seems cool with what he said. You can claim to be playing “devil’s advocate” all you want, but you sound pathetically insecure and immature.

8. alinIndy
    12:43 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Wow, I guess to please some folks it needs to be written in blood, pink swear, and stick a needle in his eye…..Can you just take the man at his word?

9. JustThinking
    12:50 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Why does he need to deny every report? He’s obviously not going anywhere and makes a stupid amount of money here.

10. Hill_Cat
    1:30 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Hey guys….sorry to break this to you but I have it on good authority that Cal’s taking the open position at Castle Black. Also, Boogie and WCS are being traded to the Night’s Watch. Cal’s just using Kentucky as a stepping stone to fight the White Walkers and the army of the undead.

Seriously, they’re running out of NBA teams. At this point in November Cal’s going to be headed to an NHL franchise.

11. Fran Caudill
    1:33 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Give the man a break! Do you want to chase him away?

12. Homer Stokes
    1:56 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

But he’s against the Confederate Flag. I say send his Yankee butt back north and let’s find someone who appreciates our culture and heritage.

• Keith
      11:28 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

I haves lived all my life in ky and studied my history, and the confederate flag is not,never has been,and never will be part of our heritage or culture, idiot

13. bob
    2:36 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position. I WILL BE AT KENTUCKY. What part of that is confusing? Where is the wiggle room? Hey fact is, he could go at anytime but in this statement. He’s not leaving this year for sure. Move on now. Nothing to see here.

14. D Marshall
    2:44 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

I hope he stays! Keeps bringing in tons and tons of talent and still not winning the national championship. Lol!
    Face it people if you can’t win with 4 lottery picks I’m not so sure you’re the coach everybody making you out to be.

• BluKudzu
      2:58 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Thank you for your insight Mr. Forde. You should go on to explain why Cal has single handedly ruined college basketball (excuse me while I yawn).

• J-Dub421
      3:12 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Oh look the U of L trolls are out again. #L1C7 sucker.

15. Dana
    2:47 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Coach Calipari is right: there really is no better coaching job out there. He’s making as much at UK, with all of the other stuff, as he would as an NBA coach, and his long term future is about as guaranteed as it can be.

Rick Pitino made a huge mistake by going to the Celtics; he is a college coach, not an NBA coach. I think a lot of other college coaches have seen that, and realized that the NBA might not be the best place for them.

16. D.Marshall
    3:27 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Every time somebody says something against the great Calipari or UK they’re labled a troll or a UL fan, I’m neither. Just speaking the truth. The man can’t coach!! He should be in the running for the national championship every yearh e has lottery picks and nba players and still can’t win it! It took an Anthony Davis to win the one that he got. Also the people sticking up for him like yourself are probably the same ones who labled Cal a cheater(which he was) when he was at Memphis!!! Now he can do no wrong. Lol!!!!

• J-Dub421
      3:56 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

We have made 4 Final Fours in 5 years, including a title and a runner-up. How is that not “in the running for a national championship”?? That’s not including the Elite 8 in his first season. It’s also regardless of the fact that due to our very high rate of turnover, we basically have a completely different team each season.

Ben Howland had Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love at UCLA and didn’t win a title. Tom Crean had 2 top four picks and lost in back to back sweet 16’s. The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot. If you don’t believe me, look at how often the #1 overall seed wins the tournament. Hint: not very often.

Also, learn to use the reply function when replying to a post.

• TrollDar
      11:11 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Definitely a UofL troll.

• Wildcat13
      7:51 am July 1, 2015 Permalink

D.Marshall – Why are you commenting on this site if you are not a fan of Coach Cal? As Matt would say, “JUST STOP!” No one could ask for a better man to coach their team. True fans of UK trust Calipari and know he is doing a tremendous job as a coach and as a mentor for our players. If you don’t realize that, ask any former player.

• CATandMONKEY
      8:09 am July 1, 2015 Permalink

Must remind myself: Don’t respond to idiots who don’t actually use facts when putting forth an “argument “.
      Repeat 3 times.
      Yes, my post IS a response. I am working on it.

17. D.Marshall
    7:17 pm July 1, 2015 Permalink

I’m commenting because it’s a free country. If you don’t like what I have to say don’t read it! Like I said before all who defend Cal are the same ones who were calling him a cheater when he was with Memphis

• Ha!
      9:28 pm July 1, 2015 Permalink

Well, you can’t count me as one of those people.

“Those who can’t, hate.”

• Wildcat13
      9:50 am July 2, 2015 Permalink

Now think about it. How would I know I don’t like what you write UNTIL I read it? JUST STOP with the Cal hating. You are in the 5% of UK fans that give Cal a hard time and he does not deserve it. Unfortunately, that 5% seems to be the loudest.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!