Cal says the media should have to buy their own tickets and meals at games

Media feasting in St. Louis

Media feasting in St. Louis

Media feasting in St. Louis

Cal is dropping nuggets left and right, and couldn’t help but get in a shot at his favorite people in the world–the media. During “Mike and Mike” this morning, Cal preached again about the NCAA needing to pay for players’ families to travel during the postseason. How can the NCAA afford to do that? Quit giving the media free tickets and meals at games:

“Make the media buy their tickets! Don’t give them full meals, give them popcorn and Diet Cokes or Cokes and that’s it! Buy your own meals. Buy your tickets and use that money for these families and these kids.”

Hey, that’s fine by me.

32 Comments for Cal says the media should have to buy their own tickets and meals at games

1. NBA league pass
    10:48 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

makes sense.

• Bigger Blue
      11:08 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Which is EXACTLY why the NCAA will NEVER go for it…

All hail the emergence of the super conferences (silver lining = cutting the low hangers off the NCAA)

• Do what
      11:45 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

How about coaches start buying their own meals and meals for the team? I think one could afford it on 5 mill/yr? I mean if something bothered me that much and I could help the kids out…….

• Bruce Maynard
      11:52 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

They aren’t allowed. That is illegal under NCAA rules. That’s why.

• Do what
      12:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

^^^^the whole topic is about POTENTIAL solutions. Thanks for playing

• Good Grief
      1:28 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Do what – you flipping idiot. I’m sure Cal would be MORE than happy to buy his team some dinners/pay for movies/etc. But you see, the NCAA won’t allow it. It’s against the rules. Nice try though.

• TD
      5:16 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

JT should have to pick up the tab, or at least pay extra.

2. bosshogg24
    10:54 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

If the NCAA wants to kill off the Media, go ahead and give them Diet Cokes!

• Haha
      11:33 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Good one, I have no idea how anyone drinks that ish.

• KG
      1:26 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You guys act like the media is above reproach. They should pay and they should buy tickets like everyone else and their expecting a free lunch/drinks I.E. is absurd. They are not sacred cows and UK owes them nothing. Without UK news they are nothing!

3. Agree
    10:55 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

They get some of the best seats in the house and dont pay a thing………. Either put there buts in the top of the arena or set them up a tv in a media room and let them watch the game back there.

• Mc
      11:01 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Exactly. Somehow, I have a feeling this opinion of his won’t get the attention that some of his other comments have received lately.

4. Earache
    11:00 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I second that. These universities don’t need the media, the media needs them. If the media really wants to be there, make them pay for it. They aren’t owed a seat.

• tsnmike
      11:55 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

You are in the media. Right now. At this moment. How can you complain about something you participate in? KSR is the media. So its the C-J. And the H-L, And Sporting News. And so on. If there’s no media covering event, you get the paid-for broadcast on radio and TV and then nothing.. No postgame call-in show, no KSR blog to read and comment on, no newspaper to get mad at. Be a lot less interesting basketball world then.

• Steve
      12:33 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

tsnmike: so, the only reason the media show up for basketball games is the free tickets and food? I don’t think so. They have a product to sell, just like every other business, and it involves their coverage of sporting events. The tickets and meals would just become a cost of doing business and they would have no choice but to pay it.

5. off topic
    11:01 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

willie needs 103 more blocks to become UK all time leader! he got 106 this year

6. BIll James
    11:03 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Tradition is a hard nut to crack.

But Cal sure is trying…

7. Kevin C.
    11:03 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

I had no idea this was even the case. Cal is right, obviously.

8. Missed it
    11:19 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

What did Ryan said that seemed to set Matt back? I had just tuned in and I missed it.

9. arlo
    11:21 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

the media is catered to at all sporting events like royalty. i never understood why. they have a right to cover these games but it should be their employers’ responsibility to foot the bill.

10. Rex Chapman
    11:25 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

What! Well if I have to start paying my own way, I will just start keeping all the inside info I have from my sources” to myself. There!!

11. bigbluejoe
    11:33 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

They all look like a bunch of cockroaches looking for a quick meal. Its ridiculous they get the handouts they get and the thousands of dollars the universities lose out by not selling those seats. Put em in the damn rafters.

12. inside info
    11:43 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Are we sure this is an NCAA mandated rule? I would think that the colleges are the ones footing the bill on this one. Why should the NCAA care if the media are there and getting stuff paid for?

• Bruce Maynard
      11:50 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

Because all major college games are NCAA sanctioned. PUB = money SON. Make no mistake about it in this greedy world we live in , it’s always about the greenback dollar !!!

13. John
    11:49 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

You know, if it was just as simple as giving tickets to family, paying players, then it would already be done. There is something called Title IX. You can’t just give 12 scholarship basketball players X amount of dollars per month. You have to do it for every athlete, in every sport.

• Bruce Maynard
      11:56 am April 15, 2014 Permalink

You are right about title 9. But it is still feasible. It would just reduce the enormous salaries of the greedy [email protected]$;& in suits.

14. Catfanran
    12:29 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Gestapo I mean the N C A A made billions from this just finished FINAL 4 and CHAMPIONSHIP game
    T V rights advertizing etc. They can afford to pay the kids a stipend or let them fly home in emergencies or at Christmas time and not even make a chink in their profits. Feeding the media is just another thing that they could curve or get rid of but still have funds to do that too…the GESTAPO
    is the most hypocritical entity in this country.. They are bias in who the want to go after ,Its U K because of the hatred the President of the GESTAPO hates Cal, yet we have the most GLARING fruadulant violations at NORTH CAROLINA OVER FAKE CLASSES and passing players when there were NO such classes. But because its ole ROY BOY they dont even look into it The major schools will have their own new alliance and own Championship tourny and the Gestapo (NCAA) will go down the tubes………………IT’s COMING like TAXES AND DEATH

15. Steve
    12:47 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Back in the day,Billy Reed, noted Kentucky media hater, used to scream bloody murder every time UK football moved an October night game to a day game for TV on CBS. Kentucky football needed every media exposure it could get nationally but Billy would scream nonetheless.
    The real reason Billy was screaming was moving the football game was screwing up his racing day at Keeneland as he had press passes to the track and had to Work the football game for the Courier Journal at night.
    Press never has BUY a ticket to any sporting event just go and bitch if it doesn’t work out for them!!

16. Selfish
    12:49 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

These media are causing the players to starve. How dare they not buy into paying extra for the collective. They are sooooo selfish. Obama nation says if you have a paycheck, you need to pay more out for your neighbor. Oh…not when it’s you though…okay…got it.

17. spookykim
    1:51 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m anxious to see the fallout from this comment from Cal — Alan Cutler has posted a not-too-happy response on Facebook. I just wonder if he’s the only one with guts to respond, or whether we’ll hear from the other media members about this? Mrs. TT is too much of a fan to be bothered by the comment, but I bet a lot of the media is fuming over this!

18. Russ
    2:50 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Amen, to that idea, those guys make a lot of freaking money! Pay for what you get Butt heads!

19. Advanced calculus
    5:16 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Makes sense to me. The media walking around in un-polished shoes and hoping they make it in life while Cal lives in a 10 million dollar home and has a 100 million dollar contract.
    Make the media pay, absolutely makes sense!