Cal says seven guys are considering the NBA

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Unfortunately, now we move onto the part of the season where we wonder who will go and who will stay. According to several reporters, John Calipari was asked that question this afternoon in Indy, and said seven players are now considering entering the NBA Draft.

“I’d say seven guys are considering their options,” Cal said, telling reporters that he met with all of them yesterday. “There’s not going to be any brainwashing.”

“I would guess five is the minimum, but seven is a possibility,” Cal added. “I hope they surprise me like they did last year.”

Of the five, Cal says that Willie Cauley-Stein, Karl Towns, the Harrison Twins, and Trey Lyles are the most likely to go. “I’d be surprised if they’re not both first-round picks,” Cal said of the Harrisons.

That leaves Devin Booker and Dakari Johnson as maybes. Sounds about right to me.

33 Comments for Cal says seven guys are considering the NBA

1. Lip Man 1
    12:46 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I understand Cal’s enthusiasm but the latest mock drafts have one Harrison going late in the second round and the other being undrafted.

Unless that significantly changes in the next few weeks the Harrison’s might want to rethink that going to the NBA position.

It appears scouts feel there are still to many question marks about them.

2. symphonist41169
    12:54 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Karl – gone
    Willie – gone
    Trey – likely gone
    Dakari – stays
    Devin – 50-50, depends on Melvin’s advice.
    Harrisons – Will be gone only if both look likely to be drafted in the 1st round with guaranteed money.
    Most mock drafts show Andrew going 2nd round, possibly late 1st round. Andrew is usually listed 2nd round or undrafted. I think it’s unlikely Andrew leaves while Aaron stays, they’ll likely both stay until both their stocks rise enough to both go in the 1st round with the guaranteed money.

• TurnerTheBurner
      12:57 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Not sure that both Harrison’s stock will rise to get them in the 1st round. For them, it will be to stay and graduate or to go ahead and get in an NBA team’s system. I would hope that they would stay but can understand if they decide to leave.

• Mc12
      1:04 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I remember when Briscoe chose Kentucky he initially said he was going to wait to sign. Then he signed shortly after. I would guess that he either spoke with the twins directly or a very reliable contact to the twins. He would have no reason to choose Kentucky and sign knowing that Ulis would most likely return and Andrew was a possibility.

3. RC
    12:57 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Dakari isn’t ready for the NBA. Not by a long shot. He needs another year to improve his conditioning and skills.
    Andrew has played his way up the draft board while Aaron has played his way down, IMHO. Curious to see how this works with them. Maybe they’re looking to play together at the next level and are OK with one of them going in 2nd round (if it’s with the same team).

4. blitzedanddazed
    1:03 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Dakari needs to go. Developed bad attitude and does not want to at UK any longer. Harrisons are gone. Aarron would not even start next year if he stayed. Booker gone. Trey gone, but should stay and improve his strength-mid range game. Willie is long gone. Karl is so gone.

• Al B. Frank
      1:12 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Please reveal your source on this “bad attitude” that Dakari has supposedly developed. This is the first I’ve heard of it, and of him not wanting “to at UK any longer.” I assume that means “does not want to BE at UK any longer.”

• J-Dub421
      1:12 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

If you think Aaron wouldn’t start next year, then you’re crazy. Who exactly would start over him, especially since you think Booker is gone? Also not sure where you’re getting that Dakari has a bad attitude because I haven’t seen it or heard anything similar from anywhere.

5. J-Dub421
    1:07 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I think the Harrisons are both very underrated as defenders, and that on the whole they played very well for us this season. In my personal opinion only, I don’t think Trey, Dakari, or Devin are ready. All three need more all-around development, especially as defenders. Trey and Devin both need to add some more weight as well. Just my opinion.

6. cracka
    1:07 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I feel like Andrew could go and possibly be drafted in the 1st round, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a need for Aaron from NBA scouts. If they go through drills, I think he’ll definitely show he can hit a high % even though his % was really down this year. I think Booker comes back to play another year with Tyler. Dakari – I hope he goes. I think he’ll really progress with NBA bigs teaching him footwork and post moves. He’s a worker, they know how much he worked in between the last 2 seasons. Trey would go first round, but I really think he could come back and work his way into the top 10. I think his family will suggest he go ahead and go, though … plus he had a few mysterious injuries we don’t really know much about.

7. Lip Man 1
    1:16 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Just my guesses at this point:

Headed to the NBA:

Marcus Lee
    Derek Willis
    Dominique Hawkins

Don’t Know:
    Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Harrison

Starting front line next year will probably be Johnson at the #5, Lee at the #4, Poythress at the #3. (That’s not bad…)

Backcourt will be in flux depending on the Harrison’s decision and additional signees.

• Mc12
      1:27 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I can’t imagine Skal not starting next year. A front court of Johnson, Lee, and AP would be pretty inept in terms of skill level away from the basket. Skal has that skillset.

It will be interesting to see the domino effect just like every year once announcements are made.

• Lip Man 1
      1:50 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Mc12:

You may be right but until the NCAA officially clears the kid (remember his guardians comments??) I’m not willing to pencil him in for anything right now. Could be another Kanter situation…hope not, but we’ll have to see.

8. Realme
    1:17 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

How do we know Alex isn’t one of the “maybes”?

• Lip Man 1
      1:48 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Because he’s coming off a torn ACL and I don’t think any NBA team will risk a draft pick on him at this point until he is able to show them something. The only way to do that is to play next season at UK (unless he really thinks the D-League can help him…)

I’m confident he returns next year.

9. AndTheDevil
    1:32 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Booker might go, but it would be unwise. The fact he isn’t an elite 3 point shooter was exposed and he doesn’t do anything else exceptional well. Same with Aaron and Andrew, neither do one thing great or enough good things. Lyles could be picked up for size, but his midrange game is becoming obsolete in the modern NBA, where 3 point shooting is seen as the more efficient option. Dakari needs work on his post game, mainly not walking on ever touch.

10. Bluebleeder
    1:34 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I think we are looking at these guys through the lens of previous teams. These guys would have put up more numbers and showed more of their skills had they been playing more minutes. I trust that Cal is giving them the info they need. I wish them all the best.

11. American Errorist
    1:51 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I think was Cal is saying is “There is 7 players on this team that he would like to draft to his Cavs next year”

• BigBlueBoom
      2:57 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

except Cal isn’t interested in the NBA.

12. BigBlueSean
    1:56 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

IMO:

Willie: Gone
    Towns: GOne

Harrisons: GOne, this year proved, they can improve all they want but will never be more than a fringe 1st round pick.

Dakari: I think he goes. Same situation as Harrisons, with his lack of athleticism, he is always probably going to be a fringe 1st round guy.

Booker and Lyles: These are the guys that have the hardest decision. If they are closer to going outside the lottery, they could improve their stock, but its not a given.

Poythress: Almost has to come back, no draft stock what so ever right now.

Ulis/Lee – They both coming back.

IMO: Just expect Lee, Ulis and Poythress to coming back and viewing anyone else as a blessing.

13. BigBlueSean
    1:59 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

The biggest misconception is that coming back results in automatically moving up draft boards. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb didn’t move up at all. The Harrisons aren’t going to move up hardly any. All four made huge improvements, but that doesn’t always translate to moving up draft boards. Actually the opposite is true, guys that stay tend to drop i.e. Sullinger, Smart, McAdoo, Marcus Paige, T Jones, Lamb, Harrisons, RHJ, Selden and many many more.

• American Errorist
      2:03 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

some would say that Dakari would’ve been a higher pick if he declared last year.

• catdaddyd
      6:48 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

They can come back play ball and get their degree..

14. Craig
    2:11 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I want Booker back, bad. He can be an All-American next season. I really, really want to see what a Ulis-Booker backcourt (along with Briscoe and anyone else) can do.

15. Catsby80
    2:22 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Would love to see Dakari, Lyles, Booker, Poythress, Ulis & Lee come back with the guys that are coming in. Not sure we’ll get all those guys back but it sure would be nice. i don’t know much about the recruits coming in but I’m sure they are all capable of filling the voids.

16. nybrasky
    2:22 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Obviously, each has to do what they feel is right for them. However, I think Trey Lyles could make himself a top 5 pick easy next year if he returned.

17. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:39 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Towns – 100% Gone (1st or 2nd draft pick)
    Cauley-Stein – 100% gone (wants to disprove everything said about him being mediocre in NBA)
    Lyles – 50/50 (maybe lotto pick, maybe late first round. PT opens up and needs another year.)
    Booker – 60% staying (maybe high draft pick, but stock dropped in tourney. Needs to get stronger/faster)
    An Harrison – 75% staying (Not projected in 1st round, but more competition coming at PG).
    Aa Harrison – 75% staying (Not projected in 1st round, still has something to prove)
    Dakari – 95% staying (Playing time opens up when KAT and WCS leave; not projected in 1s round)

• BigBlueBoom
      2:59 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

where exactly do these percentages come from? Your imagination? lol

18. Time Expired
    3:11 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I love how everyone on here has their gone and stays picks. Wonder how well they did last year with their picks. Nobody knows so just stop the foolishness and be happy however things go and support the team next year. We got some terrific freshmen coming and the talent just keeps coming. Also even tho we lost in the final four there were 60 other teams who did not get there and doing that 4 times in 5 years is no a failure but a success rate enviable by any college.

19. abo14
    3:38 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I hope they shock the world and all come back!!

20. TSmithPage
    3:42 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Cal has hyped the twins at every available opportunity this season. I think he’ll do whatever he can to get them to announce for the draft with the thought that he can convince some scout to give them a chance in the draft. That doesn’t mean that they are likely to go high in the draft, but I do think they are both gone. I can’t imagine one would go pro and the other would stay behind.

Both WCS and Towns are projected lottery picks so they are no-brainers. I’m leaning towards thinking Dakari will go just because his height gives him a decent shot at getting a high draft position. Lyles and Booker are toss ups and I’d like to think we’ll keep at least one of them, but wouldn’t be surprised if they both go. Booker would be the more likely to return in my opinion. Ulis or Poythress would be a surprise, and hopefully they stay put. Knowing Cal, there are a whole set of HS players just waiting for these announcements to make their commitments to the team.

21. rushman
    4:07 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Towns: Gone
    Wille; Gone
    Lyles; Gone
    Harrisons: probably gone
    Booker: probably stays
    Dakari: stays

22. catdaddyd
    7:02 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Why would you enter the draft if you are not a first rounder. Get your degree, most can get degree in 3 years now with ap classes in high school and summer school in college. Let your body and mind mature before playing in the man’s league as Cal put it.