Cal says he’s moved more by the work he’s doing at Kentucky than the NBA

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics)

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics)

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics)

Throughout his tour of the ESPN headquarters today, John Calipari has been asked about the NBA several times. On “First Take,” Skip Bayless asked him if the Lakers called, would Cal go? “NO!” On “SportsNation,” he was asked if the over/under on him taking the Lakers job was 1%, what would he take? “UNDER!”

On “Numbers Never Lie,” he put it this way: the work he’s doing at Kentucky, helping families, means more to him than the work he could do in the NBA, even if he believes he would be more successful in the league his second time around:

“I think I would be (better than my previous NBA stint) if I did it, but that’s not the point for me. Can I say this in a humble way? I don’t need the money. If I stop coaching today at Kentucky, my toes are up and I’m eating Cheetos and I’m fine.

“But here’s my point: What’s happening for me, what I’m feeling about coaching, goes beyond wins, goes beyond building a franchise. Can I do that in the NBA? If there was someplace that I felt that it would be more than just coaching and trying to win … I’m not there to help you build your franchise value or help sell tickets. That doesn’t move me. What moves me now is what I’m doing, and how I’m helping families.”

Let’s keep it that way.

20 Comments for Cal says he’s moved more by the work he’s doing at Kentucky than the NBA

1. RichieFarmer'sMustache
    4:54 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

By looking at this picture, you have to believe what he’s saying. When’s the last time you saw a NBA coach hug his player or players after a big play?

2. just sayin
    4:55 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

My wife works with kids for not much money. Her dad works for the BOP and is trying to get her to switch jobs because it pays more.

My wife would rather work with kids that she can influence than get paid more monitoring a bunch of grow prisoners.

3. Good times
    4:58 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

“my toes are up and I’m eating Cheetos and I’m fine” may be one of my new favorite Cal quotes.

4. CATS
    5:11 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

My sister’s aunt earns $7,500.00 a month, working from home, on the internet.

• Lonnieb
      5:18 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

i just signed up on that same pyramid schemes…all my friends now hate. We you sign up with me. The potential here is crazy…..millions please

5. John Joe
    5:28 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Really? What about the rumors that Cal’s camp was behind Rex’s comments? I mean, it’s the LA Lakers. Who would blame him. I mean, is he just saying this now because he knows he has no shot at getting that job? Seen the Forbes article? http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheisler/2014/04/08/no-the-lakers-arent-hiring-john-calipari/ If the guy cannot have a better regular season or bring home a title in college ball with 8 potential NBA players on his team, should he really have a shot at coaching the Lakers? Just wondering if people can see through the big blue smoke.

• Mike
      5:45 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Can see right thru a UL troll. You people amaze me

• Bradley
      5:49 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Well you will never have to worry about Pitino leaving you for another job. The guy is unhireable. Now , worrying about him banging your hood rat baby’s mama is another story.

• GrumpyOldDude
      5:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

How many effing different ways does the man need to say NO to the NBA rumors without some idiot saying, “Well you know he’s lying and he’ll leave you all on probation.”? L1C6, Loserville 1, Calipari 6

• John Joe
      9:49 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

So Rex has some other remotely credible source from which to get that information, that is what? From the Lakers? Lol. He was seen with Cal’s agent. Big Blue Smoke. Cal wants the Lakers job and cannot get it.

6. crazycatfan
    5:50 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Not only does Calipari have a great influence on the player’s lives, let’s not forget how he influences the lives of the BBN!!! Since he arrived in Lexington, except for very few negative nellies, the BBN has been HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! LOVE CAL AND HOPE HE STAYS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Ralph
    5:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Every sports show on TV except PTI! Huh, imagine that!

• UKFAN197TONE
      6:21 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

What’s your point?

• GrumpyOldDude
      6:35 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

They don’t tape PTI in Bristol, Conn, where the ESPN offices are located.

8. UK Freshmen
    6:24 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Cal is just a giver. God Bless him.

9. Financial advisor
    8:02 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Player first coach is costing his players millions in the league by not stressing the importance of making free throws. 5-8 extra ppt = $$$ (and 2-3 more NCAA championships for Cal).

• Jokes on you
      8:10 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You do realize that when Cal “kids” about free throws, he’s actually poking fun at over-critical people such as yourself.

Right?

• CatFan82
      8:23 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

if you think Cal doesnt care about free throws and doesnt have the team practice them everyday, then you are oblivious. he cant make them for them.

10. I swear...
    8:40 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

We have the dumbest fans.

11. lou eaton
    8:49 am April 16, 2014 Permalink

I thought FT progress was great from the beginning of the season to the end. It is difficult to “teach” how to shoot FTs. Some simply cannot be 85% shooters but still succeed….I offer Shaq as an example….