Cal says he’s going to build a team around Tyler Ulis

ulis-blood

John Calipari said Kentucky could lose as many as seven players to the NBA, but there’s still plenty to look forward to. According to Kyle Tucker, Cal texted Tyler Ulis last night to tell him he’s going to build a team around him.

Cal added that he anticipates Alex Poythress will also return, but will still gather feedback on him from the NBA.

I’d be lying if I said a Tyler Ulis-centric team didn’t make me smile right now.

11 Comments for Cal says he’s going to build a team around Tyler Ulis

1. loosey101
    1:32 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Well, that tells you everything you need to know about the Harrison’s leaving…

• RealCatsFan
      1:56 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

That’s a little surprising to me. Most all draft projections show Andrew late in first round or early second, and Aaron slipping to late second round / undrafted, and I can’t imagine this last game did anything to improve that. Sounds to me that they just made their minds up to be done with college.

• ClutchCargo
      2:03 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Or it could be that Kyle Tucker is passing along something that isn’t true. It would just seem to make more sense if the Harrisons were projected 1st round picks. Who knows, though. I just think anything said by anyone regarding their future plans at this point should probably be taken with a grain of salt until they have had a chance to actually consider the pros and cons.

2. RealCatsFan
    1:39 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

y only concern with Tyler Ulis is his defense against a taller guard, or when they switch off and he end up being posted up by a taller player. That to me is his one vulnerability. Aside from that, he is as solid as they come.

• Sasquatch
      2:01 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I doubt we switch as often next year as we did this year. So hopefully his lack of height won’t be as easy to take advantage of….Then again, I thought he did a great job of denying the post even when he was down low with a bigger player this year.

• Leuther
      1:50 am April 7, 2015 Permalink

This didn’t happen very often at all…

3. catgut
    3:02 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Brilliant Coach Cal…Tyler has the quickest hands in the South…Go Cats..great year!! Thanks for the ride…

4. south georgia cat
    3:51 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

OK this makes me Happy, this and a few bud lights. I am officially over the loss (I’m still in the denial stage)–Seriously this is a bad man with a heart of a lion, already looking forward to next year. I hope Booker and Lyles stay…..

5. rdhack
    3:59 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I have thought for quite some time that Tyler Ulis would make an excellent TEAM CAPTAIN. He definitely turned out to be my favorite. He is a well spoken young man just like the rest of the Cats. I am glad Cal doesn’t recruit THUGS.

6. Sp0rtsFreq
    6:11 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

For what it’s worth, Ulis finished the season with the 3rd best Assist/Turnover ratio in the entire NCAA, as well as in the Top 20 in 3pt%!! Forget his lack of height….the kid may have put together the BEST stats for a PG in the entire country THIS year!!

“Get your guys and let’s do this again!”

@Sp0rtsFreq

7. joe.eskridge
    7:03 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I wish Cal had thought of this at 4 minutes and a 4 point lead, just sayin…