Cal reiterates that he’s not going to the Lakers

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 9.14.25 AM

The John Calipari media tour rolls on, and Cal went on “The Dan Patrick Show” this morning to talk about his book and the season. Inevitably, Patrick asked about the tweet Rex Chapman sent before the National Championship about Cal going to the Lakers. Cal’s response? “Who’s he?” Ouch. He laughed and reiterated “there has been nothing” about the Lakers job, and he’s not interested: “No, I’m good.” Cal admitted he was surprised by Rex’s tweet. “I was really surprised,” Calipari said. “That’s all part of being the coach at Kentucky. But that disappointed me. Unless the Lakers told him. …. They had a coach, we had a coach. But I accept it. I’m not mad at Rex. It is what it is. We moved on.”

Cal added that he really hopes the one-and-done rule is changed to two years, because if not, staying at UK several more years would be hard “because the option is to recruit players who are not good enough or convince kids to stay who should leave.” How many players does Cal think will go pro? “The good news is eight can go, and I know eight aren’t going.” During a commercial break look-in, Patrick asked him the over/under on five guys turning pro. Cal said he would take the under. “I just hope it’s under so I get to coach them another year.”

We hope to have video of the appearance later on.

20 Comments for Cal reiterates that he’s not going to the Lakers

1. BobKYCats
    10:26 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

My sister-in-law called us Friday night to tell us that it was official, Cal was going to the Lakers. They found a picture of him on Facebook wearing a Lakers jacket.

My wife said, “I didn’t hear about it on the news; wouldn’t that be the lead story?”

So I got my laptop out and google-image searched for “Calipari Lakers” and did indeed find a poor photoshop done of Cal in a Lakers jacket.

Upon clicking the link, it took me to a satirical news source, which called itself “The Second Most Unreliable News Source in Arkansas”.

Cal’s staying, Card fans; get over it.

2. RexTheTard
    10:38 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m such an idiot, I have cut my ties with BBN and the program. Oh, and another confession…I never really had a stalker. But I am not apologizing for it. Why you ask, because I am King Rex and I rule.

• dwildslex
      10:41 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

FINALLY…Rex speaks the truth!

3. dwildslex
    10:39 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m glad Cal feels like the rest of BBN-that what Rex did was inappropriate. I also LOVE the “UNDER 5”!!!! 2015 will be THE YEAR OF THE CATS!!!

4. Kittyfan
    10:41 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

Rex needs to apologize to BBN! Either that or he is stupider than he looks…

5. HackRichards
    10:45 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

After leaving the program in a mess with Sutton, I had little respect for Chapman but I admit he had gained some over the last several years, BUT now he is just a TURD in the PunchBowl as far as I am concerned.

6. UK
    10:54 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

Rex was reporting an actual rumor he was hearing from some of his connections. He even said he thought Cal would stay at UK on KSR the next day. Yes the timing was poor but I’m not going to turn on a former Cat for tweeting a “Cal to the NBA” rumor. It’s not the first and it won’t be the last.

• TheTruth
      11:34 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

For the umpteenth time….it isn’t WHAT he said. It is WHEN he said it. Obviously there are those that did not see the tweet before the National Championship game, but there are a lot of fans that did, and it affected us JUST like Rex said it affected him. He can’t or won’t apologize so he’s out of favor. Deal with the displeasure. Rex has stated that it doesn’t bother him. So why is it bothering the rest of you?

• dwildslex
      11:43 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

I agree…it was the TIMING. That being said, if Rex is going to start reporting mere rumors then what distinguishes him from any Joe Blow on the street? Rex has his own blog, acts as a commentator and is frequently used as a “source” for Kentucky basketball news….we all expect his comments to have more validity than a rumor that any of us could say and in this case a rumor that we’ve heard every year Cal has been here…”Cal to the NBA”. Sadly, now Rex’s comments are no more believable than mine for UK bball knowledge.

• colonelcat
      1:06 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

Right, timing was the issue. He was either confident enough in his sources or arrogant enough in himself to post that rumor an hour before the biggest game of the season. Then it only takes him a day to backtrack and say he never really thought Cal was leaving? Either stand by your sources or don’t open your mouth. Now he just looks like a waffling attention whore tool.

7. Boselnator
    11:05 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

Rex has clearly has a huge ego and is desperately trying to remain relevant without regard for BBN the program. Outside of Kentucky he has absolutely nothing to offer. I’m glad that this self-promoting, self-serving, jackass is getting exactly what he deserves. It now appears that even Matt and KSR are beginning to distance themselves.

I’m sure Rex can expect that call from Cal anytime, lol, #donedeal.

8. eric
    11:15 am April 14, 2014 Permalink

I may be wrong, but I don’t think Cal called in. I think he was there live in the NY studio. Just to clarify. Good interview. I’ve also heard the new NBA commish, Adam Silver might be in favor of the two year rule. Fingers crossed.

9. Megan
    12:20 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

“I just hope it’s under so I get to coach them another year.”

Doesn’t that make Cal as selfish as Boeheim?

• BIll James
      12:38 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

To ‘hope’ and to ‘dictate’ are 2 different things.

10. Megan
    12:24 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

“the option is to recruit players who are not good enough or convince kids to stay who should leave.”

That’s a false choice Cal. It’s not either or. It’s a little of both. Some kids who aren’t good enough to jump after one year, who can provide some continuity and experience, and some kids who are good enough to jump.

I don’t understand why sending kids quickly to the pros would shorten his tenure at UK.

• BIll James
      12:43 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

It’s more work to coach a guy up in 1 year than in 2.

Think of all that he has to cover in 1 year with most of these guys.

I would bet that, considering the fine teams he has produced after 1 year, he believes he could produce even better teams after 2 years.

Plus he wouldn’t have to go through all the stress of calling NBA dudes and recruiting an entire new class every single year – it would all be spread out a little more.

11. Jughead
    1:40 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

I am convinced that it was a deliberate ploy on Chapman’s part to begin a rumor that Coach Cal was leaving and to do it just prior to the Chanpionship Game against UConn. His ego just cannot bear that UK could win another Championship. He needs to remember all the things that other UK players did that he never could. As far as I’m concerned he’s a wannabee who never could.

12. bluegrazzcat
    3:47 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

What’s a “wannabee”? Please explain….

13. $1.75 Tacos?
    9:24 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

I am glad to here Coach Cal say that about rex. If I was Coach Cal and Mitch, I would not have rex included in any more UK basketball projects. There is no way they could ever trust him.

14. Got CAL?
    9:32 pm April 14, 2014 Permalink

For the people that are saying the only thing wrong with rex’s tweet is the timing? Unless, Coach Cal asked him to be his spokesman, there is a lot wrong with him taking it upon himself to do this.