Cal held a team meeting on Monday

Chris Reynolds | CoachCal.com

Photo by @Reynsoul of CoachCal.com

Chris Reynolds | CoachCal.com

With all of the draft decisions made, John Calipari held a team meeting on Monday to discuss the offseason. Cal posted this about the meeting on Twitter minutes ago:

Had a team meeting on Monday. Had to wait to do it until we knew what the team was. The meeting was minus our incoming freshmen obviously. The meeting was about our vision for this group and each player talked about what they would work on this summer to elevate their game.

Today I met with Marcus, Dom, Derek and EJ, who I hadn’t met with individually yet. All I can tell you is we have the best young men. They aren’t afraid to self-evaluate and be honest with themselves, yet they all have dreams, hopes and desires that I want to help them with. I am totally dedicated to each of these young men. I believe in them and I’m committed to doing the best for them as individuals as we build this team into something we can all be proud of.

Sounds good to me.

28 Comments for Cal held a team meeting on Monday

1. Blue Hair
    12:50 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Who needs to self-evaluate just read internet message boards. Those people know everything wrong with every player.

2. Liberty
    12:55 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I know that we have a Dakari, a Dominique (Dom) and a Derek on the team, but who is this Derrick that he met with?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:58 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

The original tweet had a typo. He obviously meant Derek.

• No biggie
      1:00 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Someone spelled Willis’ name wrong. Not a huge deal – I’m sure you’ve done it before, too….

3. nerlens4prez
    1:04 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

#freeenes

4. Ukcatzfan
    1:09 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

3 things i hope he told the team
    Work on…………………free throws
    Free throws
    An last but not least. Free throws

• Bob
      1:23 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

UKcatzfan you hit that nail dead center . Learn them to make there freethrows !!! You would think after this 6 point lost for an title someone would address this isue in an meeting ! Polson should be UK free throw coach and work 100% on learning players to shoot free throws

• DH
      1:32 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

What the hell did you just say??

• lonnieb
      2:37 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Why does everyone keep talking about free throws. Of course he preaches and works on free throws with the team. Think for a second…..maybe just maybe he down plays it to the fans and the media to eliminate even more pressure from the players. 90% of free throws are mental anyway. There are a few that are just bad at them….usually players with bigger hands(think shooting a jump shot with a tennis ball for us normal folks…its much harder than a basketball)….but the vast majority i.e james young for example is mostly mental and confidence

5. Casper
    1:16 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I hope he told them Towns and Trey are going to start.

• Casper
      1:30 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Ha durrrrrrrr. Dur.

• Suzanne Smith
      1:48 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Doubt it 😉

6. Chaz
    1:24 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I bet Cal told them to be their brother’s keeper (tired, but so so true) and get ready to be the most over analyzed team of the year, again. Hope the “veteran” sophs & jrs steer the frosh in the right direction. This team could turn out to be OK. Setting expectations low to increase the happiness if they turn out great. #sandbagging

Go Cats!

7. Liberty
    1:27 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I thought that it was probably Derek that he meant. I make typos a lot more often than I get everything correct. Yesterday I substituted Barcelona for Madrid while texting a huge soccer fan about the Bayern Munich-Real Madrid match.

8. bosshogg24
    1:34 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

WCS needs to work on free throws and to add another shot so he can score 10 or 12 points a game. Poythress needs to work on three point shooting and 15 to 17 ft mid range shooting, Johnson needs to lose 15 pounds and get in better shape, Lee needs to add a face up shot from 15 to 17 feet! All players need to follow every shot like Lee does and not stand and watch!

• Rick Robey
      1:38 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

You need to go sit in the corner and try to matter. Sheesh.

9. el hombre juan
    1:38 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I know this is off topic, but just watched the Dakari Mitch vid. Nice vid, entertaining. But still, I don’t get this whole YouTube internet meme thing that keeps happening. Will this fad ever go away? 70s was bell bottoms, 80s parachute pants and big hair. Now it’s making slightly but not really clever videos or some stupid video where people start dancing. Why is this a thing? How is this a thing? Are kids these days that easily amused by the cheeziest recycled crap. ADD my ass. And what’s the deal with YouTube videos where they edit out small pauses that make the video feel like a bad trip where you stay missing time? I even saw it on a commercial the other day. #hashtag omg lol smh internet people are weird and say and do some random sh!t. Oh, and cayts.

• Rick Robey
      1:40 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Can someone provide a translation? I do not speak moronic jibberish.

• Ron Steele
      1:54 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Here you go Rick:

“I’m old & just don’t get what these young whippersnappers are doing.”

• Excuse me, Stewardess .... I speak Juan.
      2:00 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

@ Rick. It seems the writer is not a fan of trends that come and go. Specifically, in this manifesto, he denouncing that act of recording something nonsenical and posting it to You Tube. He feels these videos are childish, and doesn’t understand why some of them “go viral.” He feels that by having these videos go viral, others then tend to imitate the original video, which proliferates the entire overall stupidness of the original video.

• raccoon
      3:57 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Awesome reference and good translation.

10. Randy #1VolsFan Jenkins
    2:27 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

You all who follow the big blue nation best watch out. A lot of alpha-males and ego already on this team. I predict 30-8 with an Elite 8 loss to North Carolina for you all in 2015 and ton of heartbreak. The nickname will be “Team WhatHappened?” #VolOrNothin

• Observations
      2:43 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I predict you don’t even actually believe what you’re saying

• Nick
      2:44 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

At least it will be better than Tennessee’s season.

• eyeroll
      2:45 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Thus Spoke Nostradamus.

• Cuonzo
      3:12 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I am so glad I took a dump on the Jethro Nation.

• uncheat
      3:41 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

no way we lose to Baby Blue.

11. Dusty Mills
    2:58 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I wonder who had a the meeting with Tod Lanter, Sam Malone, and Brian Long?? Whoever had it I hope Brian Long appreciated it!!