Cal has spoken to Tony Barbee about coming to UK

AL.com

Yesterday at the SEC meetings in Destin, John Calipari hinted to reporters that there may be a spot for Tony Barbee on UK’s staff. Barbee, who was fired by Auburn following the SEC Tournament, played and coached under Calipari at UMass and Memphis and often calls Cal his mentor.

“He and I are talking about coming with us, so that’s an option,” Calipari said. “I know there are some NBA opportunities he may go after. And he may take a year. He’s got three years to figure out what he wants to do, but he’ll be a head coach again. He was outstanding at UTEP. You can’t throw that away.”

Darrell Bird over at CatsPause has more from Coach Cal in Destin, including how he would like to see the regular season conference schedule and why some of his former assistants succeed when others don’t.

Read Bird’s report here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Cal has spoken to Tony Barbee about coming to UK

1. PaintLouBlue
    3:28 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I still think we need to have a big name assistant like Jalen Rose. Recruits would love to play for someone like him.

• bbn#1
      3:41 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I love it I’d love if jalen would come coach the pgs after Strickland leaves

• True Blue
      2:28 pm May 30, 2014 Permalink

Why not have a true KENTUCKY connection …………… like KYLE MACY schooling our pg’s and the entire team on FREE THROW SHOOTING !
      bbbbbbbuuuuuuuuutttttttttt,
      Cal doesn’t seem very receptive to FORMER UK greats

2. inside info
    3:39 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

In Cal We Trust, but i’m not sure what Tony brings to the table.

• I have to disagree. I live in Montgomery, AL and Barbee was criticized here for NOT being a promoter of the program, so I don’t see him as a good recruiter. That’s all the more reason they hired Pearl because he is the ante-Barbee as you saw the way he was high-fiving fans when he got off the plane.

• Call UK Athletics
      7:31 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

You should probably give Mitch a call because more than likely Barbee’s former boss and mentor is mistaken about his protege’s abilities.

• I didn’t say he wasn’t a good X’s and o’s guy. He may be that, but I don’t see him as a recruiter. Hey, if Cal hires him and I’m proven wrong, then it’s great for UK and I’ll happily admit I was wrong!

3. Goonies25
    4:14 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Tony brings another heck of a recruiter on staff with head coach experience. Auburn is not a great job.

• Sir Charles B
      4:32 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I was the last good (hoops) player who wanted to go to Auburn, it’s sad how little the school cares about basketball now.

• Brian the Derpface
      1:12 am May 30, 2014 Permalink

He isn’t a good recruiter. That’s the biggest knock on him, guys. Come on…

4. Tennessee Wildcat
    5:30 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m sure Barbee will fill the role that Rod Strickland held the last few years, well next season. It is a non-recruiting position anyway.

5. 3 years?
    5:41 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

What does Cal mean he has 3 years to figure out what he wants to do? Does he have a non-compete?

• STEVE!
      6:10 pm May 29, 2014 Permalink

Auburn is probably paying him three years’ salary not to coach.

6. bung