The real story behind Cal’s interview about LeBron

cal-office

By now, you know that yesterday, John Calipari did an interview with The Plain Dealer in Cleveland about wanting to coach LeBron James one day. The fact that Cal wants to coach LeBron isn’t surprising–who wouldn’t?–but the timing of the article was odd. Why would Cal reach out to a Cleveland newspaper while he’s supposed to be relaxing in Florida? It seemed fishy, right?

This morning, we got the other side of the story. Matt spoke to Dewayne Peevy, who said Calipari was sitting around in Florida yesterday when his phone rang, and it was an unknown number. Cal being Cal, the person who never rests who is supposed to be resting, answered just to see who it was. It turned out to be Mary Schmitt Boyer, a reporter for The Plain Dealer that had Cal’s number from when she interviewed him about Nerlens Noel last year. From there, the interview was on.

One day, LeBron could leave and take Cal with him, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be this year. Personally, I feel a lot better after hearing the real story behind how that story got out. Move along, conspiracy theorists.

22 Comments for The real story behind Cal’s interview about LeBron

1. ukfan
    10:47 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

Matt said the name of the source on the show this morning as he was telling the story, why keep it secret on the site for? Dewayne Peevy.

• Anywhere a mouse can go
      12:50 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Never end a sentence with a preposition.

• tool
      2:45 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

^^ Never be a tool on the internet.

2. Kevinm
    10:54 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

If I’m Cal, I make any team up the ante to get me out of Kentucky. Because there is a player cap, not a coach cap.

3. Catcounsel
    10:54 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

No story here Big Blue Nation. Coach Calipari is happy with his work at UK, has a wife and family living that life now, and while saying he would enjoy the opportunity to coach Lebron, they have never discussed it between themselves. I don’t see any stories talking about Lebron leaving Miami to go anyplace, don’t think Pat Riley would want that to happen either. No story here, player and coach keep “criss-crossing” instead of “crossing”, it is too late in their respective careers. GO BIG BLUE!

• Memphis North
      4:22 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

And Pat Riley ain’t gonna be hiring Cal either. He wants a coach, not a (self) promoter and recruiter.

4. Michael F. Jox
    11:04 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

Every coach in America wants to coach the guy – You can’t screw that ish up. If Lebron leaves Miami and heads somewhere that has a coaching vacancy, I think Lebron will have a huge say in who becomes coach, and he’s close to a lot of them, not just Cal (and i don’t believe he’s as close to Cal as you guys make it seem).

5. sammydog
    11:23 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t understand why anyone gives these kind of stories any attention at all. When I initially saw the story I immediately knew Cal did not make a phone call to a reporter at Cleveland to chat. If this happened at all I knew he was approached, not the other way around. This is all just stupid talk.

6. UKkathy
    11:28 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

I do not like Lebron for this reason. Of course, I thought it was very classless of him the way in which he left Cleveland. He may be the best player – ever – (so the infamous ‘they’ say) but if he takes our coach with him, well, I would wish him ill will and be so disappointed in Coach Cal. Perhaps he wants to show the NBA naysayers that he can coach there; but, I would have hoped being coach at the best basketball university in the nation would make him so happy, successful and fulfilling, he would have no need to go elsewhere. GO CATS!

• Huh
      12:55 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Please expand upon ‘classless…’ What do you mean by that other than making a popular statement?

• lonnieb
      1:16 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

He actually gave all the millions it made to charity. Which is awesome. Not telling cleveland first was in bad taste; however the CAVS didnt respect him while he was there. One more stud player and cleveland also has multiple titles and he may still be there. After years of lebron begging cleveland got what it deserved

• Our river caught on fire...
      2:28 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Free agent pro athletes are allowed to go and play wherever they chose, all of them but Lebron. He was supposed to stay in this miserable shith0le his entire career. He is so classless for chosing South Beach over the south banks of Lake Erie. I mean, where is his class? He has no class for departing our disgusting city. He has no class and all pro athletes are spoiled millionaires. Oh, and it’s all about the money these days-that’s all these guys care about is the money. I mean, I know Lebron took a pay cut to play in Miami, but it’s all about the money to these classless prima donnas. That’s why I don’t like the NBA, because these spoiled millionaires don’t try and are lazy and don’t play any defense. It’s all about the money. No class whatsoever.

• RealUKFan
      3:07 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Anyone who leaves Cleveland, Ohio by choice has shown the ultimate both class and intelligence.

7. usefulijit
    11:47 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

What is he supposed to say, No won’t coach him?

8. bob
    11:54 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

Well heck, LeBron never went to college so just find out a loophole to bring him to UK. LOLOL

9. Rex Chapman
    12:13 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Done deal. No BS. I have sources.

10. UKBlue
    1:03 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

There was never anything to this story, the media is making up a story to have something to talk about with the LeBron to Cleveland. If Cal doesn’t want the Lakers job, he sure as hell isn’t going to Cleveland.

• lonnieb
      1:18 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I actually think he would absolutely (and should) go to cleveland if lebron went back and wanted him to coach. which would be the only scenario he would even consider cleveland

• Jim 1
      2:22 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Lonnieb: What coach wouldn’t want to coach a Labron or a Jordan in their lifetime, but Cal has said on many occasions UK was his dream job and never said he had a dream player. Cal understands all that comes with coaching UK. The most followed basketball program in the world including the NBA.

Cal has his dream job and he’s not going to leave.

11. DerbyDemon
    2:45 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t get what all the fuss is about. What EXACTLY is there in “coaching” LeBron James? Maybe the story would take a different spin if LeBron was getting ready to graduate high school and go pro. I don’t see anybody coaching LeBron James. What’s there to say? Put the ball in the hoop? Jeez Louise, people, shut up.

12. Memphis North
    4:29 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Cal getting the media stirred up about a return to the NBA reminds me of Pitino doing the same thing his last few years at Kentucky. It got to be so old. If you want to mimic Rick (and Cal has most of his career), just go already. But stay out of Italian restaurants after closing hours. Or YOU’LL need a priest on the bench.

13. TN Kat
    9:04 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Coach???, more like be his Coach.