Cal calls out “bitter old men” for incorrect perceptions of the program

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 9.43.26 AM

Cal got on a roll during his appearance on “First Take,” going after those who incorrectly assume that players that come through the program only use it as a stepping stone to the NBA. As he often does, Cal pointed out that UK has one of the highest APRs in the country, a 3.0 grade point average, graduated 10 players during his time, and two more have returned to work towards their degree:

“Kids are leaving early, you know why they all finish? Because they’re loyal to us and the program and me because they knew I had their back. Now, they’ve gotta finish. Do your work. All this stuff, where ‘kids don’t wanna go to school,’ stop. It’s a bunch of baloney from bitter old men who don’t understand this has changed.”

Bobby Knight, anyone?

38 Comments for Cal calls out “bitter old men” for incorrect perceptions of the program

1. theWilkman
    12:05 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Cal is killing it again today. Not only is he explaining the tweaks, but he’s tweaking the noses of the haters.

2. Al/in/Indy
    12:06 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

That old fool, the game passed him by many moons ago….if I were to guess, I say that he’s still has a rotary phone.

3. English teacher
    12:14 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I think Cal actually said “baloney” not “bologna.”

4. DH
    12:15 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

All kidding aside, Bob Knight really seems to be in bad mental health. He baffles me at least 3 times per game when he’s announcing (and his partner, too, it seems) because of his lack of understanding the game or what’s going on. He seems to get very confused. And he calls “make” or “miss” right after the ball leaves a free throw shooter’s hands. I’m not sure he understands what he’s saying half the time. As for Cal’s statement regarding bitter old men not understanding that things have changed, he might very well be talking about a good portion of our own fan base…

• GrumpyOldDude
      12:24 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Agreed on both points…..Knight is a cranky gasbag that needs to be put out to pasture before the early onset becomes full-blown and he slugs a ref. No doubt, the only fans I personally know who rail against the one and dones are my parents’ generation, all wistful about the old days and watching a 4yr player develop, blah blah blah.

5. English teacher
    12:18 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Keep up the good work, KSR.

6. catfan4life
    12:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Well yeah, but he just came from the O’crazy factor last night. Is there anyone who doesn’t understand O’crazy is a bigot and racist. Cal getting even with one more jerk!

• redheaded blueblood
      12:28 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

yes everyone on the planet who hasn’t drank the koolaid.

• Catgrad7072
      12:37 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Don’t think BO is either a bigot or racist. I’m not a fan and have only watched him a few times however, IMO he’s a gas bag. His statements are calculated for both reactions and ratings.

• druthevillain
      4:33 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Really!!!???? The race card???? Get a clue, ignorant Lib.

7. KernelSanders
    12:26 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

He graduated 10 players out of what, 50 or 60 h e has coached in 5 years…..hahaha…People, I am a Ky basketball fan, but if you believe everything Cal says, I have some property at the edge of the Kentucky river I will sell you……Don’t get me wrong, hope he keeps doin what he is doin, I could care less how many kids graduate, just win baby…..

• Mc
      12:30 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

While you have a point, I’m sure, Cal has only coached UK for 5 seasons. Most of his players would still be in college.

• OldKyFan
      12:55 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I challenge your claim to being a fan of UK basketball. If you truly were a fan you would know exactly how many players Cal has coached and you’d know that most of the ones that haven’t graduated are making millions in the NBA.

• That's just dumb
      1:16 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Do you think UK gets 10-12 new players every year which would make 50-60. It’d be 20-5 if 4 or 5 new ones come every year and some it those are still there. It’s tough when you have to think. Isn’t it?

• catlogic15
      1:25 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Is this a wooded lot?

• Actually
      1:59 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

The number of kids, including walk-ons, Cal has coached at UK is 41 and that includes all of this years freshmen.

From the 2009-10 team:
      Josh Harrellson, Ramon Harris, Jon Hood, Mark Krebs, Darius Miller, Patrick Patterson, and Perry Stevenson have all graduated (not necessarily that year as some were early in their college journey).
      John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Daniel Orton all were drafted in the 1st round of the NBA that year. Josh Harrellson and DeAndre Liggins were drafted in 2011 and Darius Miller in 2012. Darnell Dodson transferred.

From the 2010-11 team (freshmen would be seniors this year):
      Darius Miller (see above), Jon Hood (see above), Jarrod Polson, Eloy Vargas, Josh Harrellson (see above) have graduated. Once again, they may have graduated a different year but they were on the 2010-11 team.
      Brandon Knight was drafted in the 2011 NBA draft (along with previously mentioned JH and DL), Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb were drafted in the 2012 NBA draft. Stacey Poole transferred after his sophomore year in 2012.

So, in the 2 classes that Cal has coached at UK that can have reasonably been expected to graduate, ALL have either graduated or been drafted by the NBA. The 2 kids that transferred out from those 2 classes don’t count. as Cal and UK were no longer in control of their academic environment.

8. David
    12:34 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

and anyone who thought that the UK team getting an 8 seed wasn’t an attempt to have them out of the tourney after the first weekend; the NCAA was so hoping that WSU could beat UK and advance their great Senior led team so they could jump up and down and scream about “doing it right” blah blah blah…and yet Cal pushed all the right buttons at the right time (save for a little extra FT practice in that cavernous arena in the final) and further proves that even though SOME of his players may leave after one year, they still remain loyal to UK, return when their schedules allow, and afford us with great kids who we can be proud of…la familia??? sure…it is thus proven that a kid can stay just one year at UK and still be proud of what the FRONT of his jersey said…they keep coming back…and better to have had them the one year than none at all….

• Catgrad7072
      12:39 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Spot on about the 8th seed observation.

9. backwordsben
    12:34 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’d love to own some property at the edge of the Kentucky river…..why don’t you tell your joke the right way so it actually makes sense next time. I’m sure what you meant to say was I’ve got some ocean front property in KY i will sell you….come on Kernel

• KernelSanders
      12:44 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You obviously haven’t seen the property near the KY river…..No, I said exactly what I meant..

• backwordsben
      1:20 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Beautiful through most of the state! Seriously, how much you asking?

10. Kyhank
    12:38 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I got on here to have some fun with bob knight, but after reading kernelsanders I think he may be a bigger _ucktard than bob, you have to be a hater,go home.

• KernelSanders
      12:45 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Nice post genius

11. KernelSanders
    12:38 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I completely agree, my point is people shouldn’t fall for all the jargon that Cal spews….haha….I have a hunch that after he is there 10 years, that number wont be much higher than it is now….haha….

• CALfan4life
      1:05 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

KernelSanders, you are operating on an assumption, your post carries no relevance.

12. Darryl H
    12:44 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I think the thing he’s been saying today that makes the most sense is this talk about a particular person’s “GENIUS.” He’s absolutely right. We don’t tell Brandon Stone, the golfer from UofTX who left after his freshman year that he’s “ruining the sport” by leaving early. We wouldn’t tell a young person who was offered a job at the highest level of their career path to turn it down just because they didn’t have a degree yet, though they were a GENIUS in the field.

These players who are able to be one and done are seeking a career in basketball. If they have reached the point to where they can compete with the best basketball players in the world, why should we accuse them of “ruining the game” by playing for a year or two in college and then leaving? We shouldn’t. It’s foolish. One of the purposes of going to college is to prepare for a career. We can say the primary value is to gain more knowledge, and for a Doctor or Lawyer that is absolutely essential. But it’s not always essential for every field of choice. Education is not an end unto itself. Finding purpose, meaning, and happiness in your life is one of the goals of education. These guys are reaching their goals because they have proven they can compete at the highest level.

Now, the REAL reason people hate one and done is because it doesn’t benefit their particular team the way it does UK and a few other schools. Heck, let’s hear them all attack Coach K next spring when his one-n-dones leave for the NBA. Will they be “ruining the game”? I think the hypocrisy of people is what really ticks me off. Just be honest. You hate UK and you hate Calipari, so you want him to lose. It’s pretty simple. The rest is just a distraction from the truth.

• Reddington
      12:55 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree with all of this. Very well said.

• UKfan
      2:33 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

nice points

13. bluegrassstu
    12:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Coach Calipari is promoting his new book, while it is possible he has some good things to say, I think he may be a bit of a gasbag himself. The grade point average, 3.0, kind of curious just what classes these young men are taking? Basket weaving? Basic elementary math? I do know Brandon Knight was/is exceptional when it comes to academics. What about the others? As for changing the one and done to 2 years, I say not. Make it the same as the NFL, or just go back to the way it was.. Anyhow, I do love the way the Cats play basketball (except for the year they got beat in the NIT by Robert Morris). Next season ought to be a fantastic year. Thinking National Champions!!!!!!!!

• BIll James
      1:14 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

You bring up a good point about the class selection – but this is the question I would ask you in return?

What classes did you (or your friends) take as a freshman?

Most of mine were introductory classes required by the school – stuff like English, math, etc. and ‘electives’ which (in my opinion) are designed to be courses to pad a schedule so the school can justify making you go 4 years instead of 2 or 3.

But I digress – my point remains: I don’t think (most) incoming freshman could be taking anything more than basic level classes.

But I could be wrong.

14. CALfan4life
    12:57 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

If we are honest, we don’t care if a kid wants to leave after one year if he thinks its best for him, we don’t care about graduation rate, if they come back around or not, its ok. The truth is they come back for CAL, not Kentucky, and that’s ok….How many times do you think you will see Jon Wall in Lexington after CAL leaves?? Probably not much…..The days of it being about the name on the front at Kentucky are long gone…..Cal even says it himself, “I coach for the name on the back, not the front of the jersey”…..and that is ok….its not about KY basketball, its about CAL basketball, and that is ok, sit back and enjoy it while its here.

As Kentucky fans we need to stop getting upset every time someone takes a jab at the basketball program, who cares?? People are going to hate, just sit back and enjoy the show.

• BIll James
      1:16 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

sigh…I mostly agree.

If we wanted to showcase our history and tradition we should stop playing games and open a museum.

But I think some of the kids really do care (some) about the name on the front of the jersey.

15. Al/in/Indy
    1:15 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

People are always going to have their own agendas no matter what sport or business they prefer. If someone was to offer anyone a high paying job with just one year of college in what they want to do for a career, they’d break their necks running to it. I’m an old varmint that remembers Cotton Nash playing and I have no qualms at all about a kid who has had dreams of playing in the league.
    The haters are going to hate regardless of anyone trying to rationalize their belief.
    Case in point, I think Harrell from uvel should leave this year like I thought Stokes of UT should’ve went last year. What did he gain by coming back? Is Pitino going to make a point guard out of Harrell coming back another year? We’ll see! My money is that Harrell will not be any better under another year with him.

16. David Elswick
    1:19 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Billy Reed, anyone?

17. BigBlue37
    1:48 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

Kernel Sanders pees sitting down…just like Bobby Knight

18. Gocatsgo
    1:54 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

My dad is one of those bitter old men. I can’t watch games with him anymore. If we win, everything is usually okay. If we lose, it’s because of Cal and the freshmen. When Cal says at press conferences that ‘this is a group of 18 year olds’, he just gets angrier and blames Cal for not keeping players around longer. I say that if a 19 year old, looking towards their chosen profession, has finished a year of college and has a career opportunity in front of him/ her, there should be no issue with taking it.

19. CatBlue in LR
    3:21 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

One of the bitterest old men is named Wally Hall. He’s the Sports Editor and Columnist for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. He swears none of Cal’s players go to class at all the 2nd semester. And, according to him, that doesn’t count against the APR if they turn pro because players who come out early for the draft don’t count against a school’s APR, unlike transfers. He doesn’t seem to be able to comprehend that if a kid doesn’t go to class during a semester he’s enrolled in order to play ball, or if he drops all his classes as soon as the season ends, that hurts the team GPA and the APR. It has to.

He’s also like many down here who just assume that Calipari is cheating because a) “how else could Ky. get all those All-Americas?”, and b “he’s cheated everywhere he’s been.”

Daryl H. had it right — it’s just sick jealousy and a perverse need to rationalize how a team they despise could do so well.

20. Robert Montgomery Knight
    3:51 pm April 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m not bitter damn it! Rex Chapman told me he had sources that confirmed no Kentucky players ever went to class. Gotta run. Mailman just touched my mailbox and I’m gonna go choke him and kick him in the shins….